• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 08:33 PM

Kwik Trip locally has started to sell what is called recreational gas. No alcohol and a little pricier than the 87 octane fuel.

I usually put a little Marvel Mystery Oil in each tank of gas when I bring it home, Don't know if it helps but it makes me feel better having it in the gas used in my small motors.

• iron Mike said thank you

#32 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,298 Thanks
  • 2,332 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 08:33 PM

Give this a try if you think your having fuel problems because of Ethanol or non Ethanol fuels.Take 3 1 Quart jars and fill each one with a different grade of fuel and Put the Lids on tight but punch a small vent hole to simulate the breather hole in a fuel tank.

Set them on a shelf in your shed or garage for 3 weeks and then check the color of the fuel.You'll notice the Fuel with Ethanol will turn a nice brown color within 3 weeks.The next higher octane fuel will start to turn in 5 to 7 weeks and the highest grade fuel will start to turn in 6 to 8 weeks.The shelf like of E10 or E15 is 1/2 as long as the higher grade fuels.

The Low grade fuel is not regulated by % of methanol content.It may have alot higher content.My aunt runs a small mom and pop grocery store/gas station.They had they're fuel tested after the 10% Ethanol fuel was introduced and it was almost 20%.

One very bad thing about Ethanol is it's ability to absorb water.It can absorb over 10% of it's weight in water and separate in a vacuum filled environment IE(your float bowl)

Ethanol Will also deteriorate or desolve Non Alcohol-resistant parts,especially rubber and plastic parts.   

Nice little read here if your intersted.

http://www.fuel-test...ems_damage.html

Edited by EricFromPa, January 19, 2013 - 08:37 PM.

• iron Mike, Cvans, mowinman2 and 1 other said thanks

#33 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 09:54 PM

I have a family member who owns a Stihl dealership. Been told they can tell as soon as they open up the fuel system if it has had ethanol in it or not. I'd stay away from the stuff if at all possible.  

I have an old friend that owns/operates the TORO/STIHL dealership and he gave me an article out of a trade magazine that he gets. It explains what to tell customers when they complain why it cost so much to get their mowers/saws, weedeaters...etc running again. It is the ethanol and you need (have to) keep a fuel stabilizer in your fuel to help reduce the possibilities of the ethanol fuel fouling up your carb.

• iron Mike and Cvans have said thanks

#34 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,637 Thanks
  • 1,330 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 03:18 AM

Stupid politician, CORN IS FOR CRITTERS! not for gas! I'm sorry!

I have heard people also like it in the liquid form with a little ice :D  :beerchug:

I agree, it shouldn't be in gas. Another thing to watch out for is biodesiel. If you run it in your vehicle make sure you use the additive for biodesiel. Can't remember how many times in the winter a southern truck would come up here,  put fuel in and would gel up along the road. Just hated going out to get them running again and trying to explain he didn't use the right anti-gel. It will also absorb moisture if it sits awhile, the same as ethanol. So you put additive in to prevent that too. Will it ever end, you put this stuff in that stuff to make it better, but to offset that stuff you have to add this stuff and so on and so on. Stupid politicians 

• tractorgarden, iron Mike, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#35 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 12:30 PM

Since it hasn't been posted in this thread yet, here is a link to a list of stations that carry ethanol-free gas.

http://pure-gas.org/

Thanks for the link, it seems like it would be quite useful!  The only problem was I looked through all the NY listings and there were NO gas stations anywhere near where I live that sell ethanol free gas.  :( :wallbanging:   I was correct though that it seems the only places that have real gas anymore are marinas.

For those who haven't visited this site yet either, evidently there is a petition to remove ethanol from fuel at the White House website.  Here is the link:

https://petitions.wh...ilable/lhq1qgW4

I signed it, but there aren't too many signatures on it as it is, which is sad.  I guess more people just don't know about it or don't care what sludge they put in their gas tank as long as the government says it is okay.  I just thought I'd share the link to help spread the word a bit.  IDK if it will have any impact or not though, sadly...

Edited by MailmAn, January 20, 2013 - 12:30 PM.

#36 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 05:01 PM

An observation:

We have a few hens because we like fresh eggs.  Scratch feed was going up in price but suddenly, about 2 months ago, I noticed the price was back down.  I noticed it looked different, like it had more grains like wheat and barley.  This morning, It hit me.  There isn't more grain, there is a LOT less corn.

• iron Mike and boyscout862 have said thanks

#37 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2905
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 09:20 PM

FYI for the guys around Buffalo and south of Buffalo. The Delta Sonic on Ridge road and Lagner across from Home Depot now has ethanol free gas in 91 octane. It is pump 15 and 16 and has a blue handle. It was $4.20 a gallon today.

Other Delta Sonic's may have it too. I know the one at Walden and Union does too.

#38 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 09:36 PM

We have some farmers around here that are BIG supporters of ethanol. One day I was purchasing gasoline and one of these individuals asked if I was running ethanol in my plane. I told him no. He asked, "WHY NOT?"  I said for one thing the engine manufacturer has not approved it and also 3000 ft. up is a lousy place to find out it doesn't work. He thought about that for a minute and replied, "good point". That was the last time he approached me on the subject.  :smilewink: 

• Texas Deere and Horse, iron Mike and MailmAn have said thanks

#39 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 09:51 PM

If you have never been to the Dover, PA. tractor show, then you never saw this just down the road. I thought it was great and the owner sells non-ethanol blended gas all day long.

8-20-12 Brians phone 092.jpg

• KennyP, iron Mike, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#40 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 10:32 PM

That's priceless Brian. Pretty much the truth also.  :thumbs: 

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#41 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 10:59 PM

I was riding to the show with George, "NutnDun" when I saw it, I made him turn around to take me back for a picture.

#42 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 05:26 PM

I was riding to the show with George, "NutnDun" when I saw it, I made him turn around to take me back for a picture.

Well, thanks for sharing! That is pretty awesome and I'm sure it has done a lot for his sales, lol!  He should be working in marketing or advertising...  lol!