• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 02:28 PM

ALL GRADES OF GASOLINE HAVE ETHANOL IN IT - IT IS A FEDERAL MANDATE NOW!!

My understanding is all mid-grade gasoline has at least 10% ethanol and the government is wanting to boost that to 15%.

Right now, you can expect 10%, but if there is more than 10% ethanol, it must be posted on the pumps.

Most "high" grades of gasoline do not have the ethanol.

I got a tank of gasoline for my 1978 Honda motorcycle that had 15% ethanol. That was the worst mileage and preformance that bike had ever seen in it's 33 years that I rode it!

• iron Mike and MailmAn have said thanks

#17 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 02:59 PM

I get Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) for $4 a quart at Walmart. I add some to all gas at about 4oz per 10 gallons. If I forget, there is a noticeable difference in how the engine runs. This is true for lawn mowers up to my Ford 4500 and my road vehicles. I've used MMO since 1967. In 1970 I built a drag racing 64 Chevelle. I was given a 63 Impala with a 283 in it. It didn't run(timing chain jumped). I fixed it but knew that I needed to do a good rebuild. The spark plugs were heavily fouled but firing. I put it together without cleanning and started it. It smoked bad(what do you expect for free?). I got it up to temp and poured 1/2 pint of MMO down the carb. She smoked like a Uniroyal stack! I shut her down and let it sit for several days. I started it and again she smoked alot for about 15 minutes. I then shut her down. I pulled the engine and disassembled it. The combustion chambers had cleanned up, with only alittle carbon left. Since then I've found that with long term use of MMO in the gas will free up piston rings, increasing compression and reducing oil consumption.

When shuting down an engine for awhile, I add extra MMO and run it out of gas. I then turn the engine to the compression stroke so that the valves are closed. The MMO coating of the fuel system and cylinder prevents corrosion. I think it also protects the gaskets and seals from the ethanol.

BTW I took the Chevelle to the Drag Strip but there was nobody else in the same class. I raced my brother and beat him( 327  in a 57 Chevy) but he had trany problems.

• iron Mike and MailmAn have said thanks

#18 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 03:01 PM

I have a family member who owns a Stihl dealership. Been told they can tell as soon as they open up the fuel system if it has had ethanol in it or not. I'd stay away from the stuff if at all possible.  

• iron Mike said thank you

#19 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 03:53 PM

This is a hard subject to discuss without talking politics but I believe I can say that the administration that I voted for wanted to put in the keystone pipeline and open up to more drilling.  Our present administration is going for higher ethenol content in our gas.

Those premixed containers of fuel seem to be white gas, like Amoco used to sell.  We used to buy the Amoco white gas to use in our coleman stoves as it was cheaper than Coleman fuel.  Same thing.

• tractorgarden, iron Mike and MailmAn have said thanks

#20 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 04:02 PM

I guess I can count myself lucky to have two stations with nonoxygenated gasoline withing striking distance. This nonoxygenated has no ethanol in it. It is what the street rodders and bikers use. I use this in all my small engines with a touch of Seafoam for longer storage periods. Corn gas with 10% ethanol has been mandated for use in this country. Certain factions are lobbying for 20% ethanal in all fuel. This ethanol thing has to do with air pollution and one heckuva alot more to do with politics which I will stay away from here. 10% ethanol fuel is an OK fuel for general use but will give less gas mileage due to the fact that there are less BTUs in ethanol than pure gasoline. The biggest issue is storage. The fuel tanks in modern vehicles are a sealed system and keep air out. When gasohol is stored in a container that is vented the ethanol draws moisture out of the air and becomes saturated causing burn  or corrosion issues. If you must use it store it in a sealed container and run the tank and carb dry for long term storage. Just my thoughts on this issue.

KURTEE

• iron Mike and boyscout862 have said thanks

#21 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 05:39 PM

Please read this. Pay close attention to the 4th paragraph. 

http://www.usatoday....m-cars/1735793/

Who do you think knows more about what's good for your engine, A bureaucrat or the people who build and test the engines? Do you really want to run any of this stuff in your engines large or small if you don't have to?

I've read too many reports similar to this to be comfortable with ethanol. 

Edited by Cvans, January 19, 2013 - 05:44 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, iron Mike, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#22 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,708 Thanks
  • 8,895 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 05:48 PM

Since it hasn't been posted in this thread yet, here is a link to a list of stations that carry ethanol-free gas.

http://pure-gas.org/

I dislike my nearest station. It has an A&W attached, and every time I throw the Eagle can in the truck, I get an order to fill. Coney dogs, floats, etc.

• iron Mike and boyscout862 have said thanks

#23 iron Mike OFFLINE  

iron Mike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5236
  • 36 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 06:41 PM

Does the engine pre-date unleaded gas?  Has it ever been modified for unleaded?

Yes and no,not that I know of.

#24 iron Mike OFFLINE  

iron Mike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 36 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 06:44 PM

I have a family member who owns a Stihl dealership. Been told they can tell as soon as they open up the fuel system if it has had ethanol in it or not. I'd stay away from the stuff if at all possible.  

I agree.

#25 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 402 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 06:46 PM

I also treat my gas with Startron. The stuff is amazing. All of my air cooled engines run much better treated with that. Once mixed with gas it will keep the gas stabil for 2 years.

#26 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 06:46 PM

Stupid politician, CORN IS FOR CRITTERS! not for gas! I'm sorry!
  • iron Mike, mowinman2, MailmAn and 1 other said thanks

#27 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 06:52 PM

Thanks.......now I won't sleep tonight just worrying about what the CORN is doing to my fuel lines in the garage. Just one more thing to worry about. :mad2:  :thumbs:  :D

Anyone want to start the discussion about what kind of OIL to use? That always produces much discussion too.  :smilewink: 

#28 iron Mike OFFLINE  

iron Mike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 36 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 07:01 PM

Does the engine pre-date unleaded gas?  Has it ever been modified for unleaded?

A 1970,73,and76. I don't know about modified.

#29 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 07:14 PM

I use regular grade gas, then add lead additive and stabilizer. Most of my motors are form the early to mid 60's and were made to run on the leaded gas. The motors seem to run much smoother, and I don't have the smoke at initial start up like most tractors have. I know these old motors will run on unleaded gas just fine, but adding the lead additive really makes a difference. Just my opinion.

#30 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 07:43 PM

i run 93 in all my stuff