#1 iron Mike OFFLINE  

iron Mike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5236
  • 36 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 11:14 AM

Mornin everyone,

I was told awhile back that I should be burning Super Unleaded gas in my old tractors and have been doing so for the last year. I'm wondering what your take is on this. Seems to me that this is when I started hearing that rap in the Bolens.. Thanks,Mike

#2 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 11:21 AM

i still use reg unleaded.  Always have, I also put a cap full of Lucas in it too but then again I use Lucas in everything.  Everyone has their own preferences I'd say...I guess whatever works best for you.

• iron Mike said thank you

#3 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 11:22 AM

From what I understand the higher octane gas does not contain Ethanol in it so it runs cleaner through the carburetor.  I would not think a higher octane would cause a knock or bing.  I'll be interested in what others have to say.

#4 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 11:24 AM

I only burn regular unleaded in my outdoor equipment. High octane fuel is only required when for higher compression engines. IMHO

All the gasoline we have available locally contains ethanol. No matter what grade.

Geno

Edited by bgkid2966, January 19, 2013 - 11:26 AM.

#5 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 11:49 AM

Mornin everyone,

I was told awhile back that I should be burning Super Unleaded gas in my old tractors and have been doing so for the last year. I'm wondering what your take is on this. Seems to me that this is when I started hearing that rap in the Bolens.. Thanks,Mike

Does the engine pre-date unleaded gas?  Has it ever been modified for unleaded?

#6 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 12:02 PM

In Minnesota regular unleaded has 10% ethanol. Ethanol is what I want to stay away from. It can eat gaskets and seals. Some premium fuel is non-oxygenated. This fuel is good for small engines, snowmobiles and older cars. This is the fuel I use in my GT's. It is 91 octane and has no ethanol.

Edited by anderson classic tractors, January 19, 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 12:03 PM

The pumps up here have notices on them that warns, or notifies you, I guess, that the fuel contains up to 10% ethanol. The high test does not have this warning. It may contain small amounts of ethanol but nowhere near 10%, at least in this fuel market. 

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 12:18 PM

I think all grades of gas around here have ethanol in them....

I have been running Startron fuel treatment in all my stuff which seems to help some.

These older engines were not meant to be run on this ethanol which in return wreaks havoc on fuel lines, carb gaskets/diaphragms and makes the engines run hotter which is why a lot are experiencing vapor lock when the engine runs for over an hour....

• iron Mike and MailmAn have said thanks

#9 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 12:37 PM

i use just reg unleaded gas in everything i either use marvel mystery oil or stabil treatment to deal with ethanol but i dont notice any difference if i dont use a gas treatment.

• tractorgarden and iron Mike have said thanks

#10 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 01:01 PM

Around me you can buy mid grade gas that is ethanol free.....that is what i use in all my gts, blowers, etc......

Like the rest of you, my local shops are telling me the ethanol is wreaking havoc on the diaphrams, etc.....

So far I have had no issues with any of my motors

#11 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 01:06 PM

I just use regular unleaded gasoline and throw Gumout in with it. Keeps my stuff running pretty good I think.

#12 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 01:06 PM

I can't buy any fuel without ethanol in it. So I treat all my gas with Sta-Bil and also SeaFoam.

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 01:26 PM

Can not get anything but 10% ethanol here. I do put little Marvel Mystery Oil in every other tank or so.
Compression ratio is not high enough to gain anything by using a high octane rated fuel.

#14 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 01:37 PM

I ran super in the Hemorrhoid for a while and it backfired constantly. No cure for it. Although the Hemorrhoid isn't that old - 2007- and ti is a pain in my butt so that may have been the problem.

#15 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 02:16 PM

I think all grades of gas around here have ethanol in them....

I have been running Startron fuel treatment in all my stuff which seems to help some.

Same here. ALL GRADES OF GASOLINE HAVE ETHANOL IN IT - IT IS A FEDERAL MANDATE NOW!!  Even if the sticker on the pump appears to only be over the 87 unleaded handle, it doesn't matter.  They all have that crap in it now.  There used to be some gas stations left around if you hunted for them that had non-ethanol fuel still, but even they are all gone now.  SUPPOSEDLY what I heard was that if you go to a marina that has fuel pumps at the docks that fuel is supposed to have no ethanol in it.  But even that might have changed.  Even if it is ethanol free though, it is a pain to go that far out of your way to go get it and it is also like $5 a gallon because of where it is.  The only other place you can get ethanol free fuel is at your local race tracks if you go talk to the fuel man there.  However, while it has no ethanol in it, you will find that 100 octane or so is about the lowest octane fuel you can buy there.  Typically they sell the most of 110-115 octane leaded race fuel or some type of special racing alcohol for the alcohol fueled drag cars.  As far as I know, that is about it.  Plus, it is even more expensive at about $8-$10 per gallon!

If you have a 2-cycle engine, I have seen pre-mixed cans of fuel and oil that is also supposed to not have any ethanol in it.  However, it is only in 30:1 or 40:1 or 50:1 fuel and oil ratios that I have seen, so you're not going to put that in your GT.  It is also expensive and the little can they sell I don't think is even half a gallon.

I usually run 89 or 91 octane fuel (depending on where I go and what level of gas they sell.  Sunoco is the only one I have ever seen that has 91 octane fuel.) with Startron fuel stabilizer in it.  (It is pricey at about $10-$12 a bottle and I have only found it at NAPA.)  I use it in everything, even my car and truck.  Some have told me that it is just snake oil and not worth wasting the money on, but they sell a lot of it it seems...  I haven't had any problems running it, but then again I haven't heard of anyone having issues just because they don't use it either...  I have also been using some lead additive in the fuel for my Bolens 850 and my Ariens Sno-Thro.  IDK if I need it or not, but they did have leaded fuel still in the late 1960's when they were both made.  I had heard that these engines have hardened valve seats in them though, so leaded fuel isn't really necessary, but I'm not 100% sure on that either.

Edited by MailmAn, January 19, 2013 - 02:23 PM.