Update January 29 2013
Along with adding hydraulics I wanted to upgrade the electrical/charging system. When I picked up the power steering pump at the local bone yard I also grabbed a GM one wire alternator. I removed the starter/generator that I had put on when I first put this beast together, and re-installed the original gear drive starter with a new nose gear assembly.
Heres the side of the motor with the gear starter on, gained lots of space,
And I had hoped to put the power steering pump along this side too, run off the pulley on the engine. But there was not really enough room to put here and still close the hood (without cutting any sheet metal). No big deal, got lots of space up front to put things, so on to back up plan. Raided the "not really scrap" pile to see what there may be waiting for me....... The frame pan from a tractor I parted out was really just the right width and plenty long, cordless sawzall in hand I liberated it from the rest of the carcass.
Starting with a cardboard template (Thanks Ray!) cut to fill the space in front of the engine. Played around with the position of the PS pump first then added the alternator which pivots off the pump mount. Enough done to measure for and pick up a belt and then finish the tension brace. Can gain about 1.75 inches of belt length with full swing of alternator. Every thing should stay under the hood too!
Heres some pics
Still room for the battery way up front. I foresee a change to the exhaust pipe, probably a stack. But still have lots to do in regards to the rest of this first step, then I can work on the exhaust, the chrome bumper, the winch, the lights.....
And Ray you were right there is a float on that spool. BONUS!!!
Edited by Michiganmobileman, January 29, 2013 - 10:21 PM.