#1 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 08:56 AM

This thing has been on CL for quite some time.  I  believe, (if I remember correctly), it started off at $1000 a year ago.  He has only dropped down $50.  It's pretty nice and I wouldn't mind owning it myself but it doesn't seem as if anyone is going to give him what he's aSKING.  I've seen 3 or 4 go since he originally posted this one at much lower prices. http://buffalo.craig...3554496686.html

#2 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 09:26 AM

Someone once told me that ads like that were designed to justify keeping the item.....

That way he can tell his wife "Honey, I've been trying to sell it, but I'm not gonna give it away."

Not that I've ever done anything like that, mind you...... :dancingbanana:

• bgkid2966, backwoods, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 11:20 AM

lol...this is true

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 11:21 AM

#5 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,399 Thanks
  • 1,863 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 07:53 PM

yeah I have been trying to buy something from a guy for a month now; he told me some of the lowball offers he has had and turned down and advertises his price as  $2k or "best offer"  so I split the difference between the lowballs he told me about along with how crazy people must think he is to accept so little; like 40% of asking price....

I have had clowns like that too, to which I ask if Walmart will give you 60% off just because teh day ends in "Y"  or its sunny or rainy or you had to drive so far to get there...

but the guy did say "OBO" and did tell me what he won't accept so I split the difference between asking price and the lowball offer;

then the guy says he has turned down $1800 and said he needs $2k because he says he knows it is worth that much;  apparently nobody else thinks it is.  Alot of the tools are Craftsman some is Matco (lifetime warranty still works) some is Taiwan no name particularly some of the impact sockets... no warranty there to be had to replace the worn out stuff.... and none of it is new either....

So I returned with "you should have taken the $1800"   back and forth we went and the last contact to me was "well can you come up with $2k?"  I mistakenly flagged his ad when I went to send it to myself via CL; and I told him;  so he relisted what he had with "trying to get $2k for this"  that still does not say "FIRM" or "I wont budge from $2k"     so it does go both ways... he apparently hasn't sold his tools yet... it's an old Craftsman 41" rollaway tool chest (no top chest) with some tools included, 2 Matco hang on side cabinets, and a couple drawers full of gaskets and fittings no good to anyone that doesn't work on diesels... my 19 yo son has been wanting a tool chest of his own and I need "some" of what is in it to replenish my stock of things lost/broken over the years for when I start my new job; the rest (along with some things in my box now that I have too many of)  would go to my son to get him started on his own tool set... but though not advertised as such  when you talk to him directly he claims he has turned down an offer of 90% of asking price already and needs full price because of why I stated above..

When I sell something it seems I have to accept a beating no mater how beat, or how nice what I have is as compared to what anyone else may have available; or I sit on what i have forever;   when I buy it seems that I have to pay full price or go away empty handed.... I don't get that....

• bgkid2966 said thank you