coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 12:26 AM

A while back I picked up 2 laptops, one working and one for parts. The working one caused me to have a intro into linux. The parts machine was sitting around missing a hard drive. Well I was given a WD 80G today and it works in the parts machine. After another learning session (dont put anything else on your live USB stick) I have it up and running. I had to redo my live usb and I wanted to go with MINT but I couldnt figure out which version was which. I ended up with Zorin since the .iso was already on my working machine.

Now I would like to try mint out but which one do I need? When I go to the Mint site I am blasted with too many choices. Naydia, Maya, KDE. I know I need a 32bit os (Lenovo R52). So could I get a point in the right direction as to which version would be a good starting point. I will be using unetbootin and burning the .iso from my HDD to the USB so i can Download which ever version from the mint site.

Thanks

#2 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 09:25 AM

i would go with the newest. here is a link to the download page http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

the next choice would one you want. 

i would go with the one that says Cinnamon    32-bit    64-bit    An edition featuring the Cinnamon desktop

in the 32 bit

• KennyP said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 09:36 AM

On of these days, I am going to try this. Just too busy right now to set up an operating system.

#4 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 09:41 AM

the crazy thing is , it really dont take much time to set up a linux box. i can download, install and update in about 1 1/2 hours where as it takes to to 6 hours to install and update windows.

• KennyP, sacsr and HDWildBill have said thanks

#5 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 10:22 AM

Coldone, one of the beauties I have found with Linux is you can try a distro out with out installing it to see if you like it.  The big difference in the LinuxMint iso's are the window managers.  KDE and GNOME are you more popular ones.  With version 3 GNOME went off in to left field with there design and although at the time they were probably to most popular the new design did not go over very well so Mate and Cinnamon were born to bring back the GNOME 2 design.  Both of these are in there infancy so they are still working out the bug but they are maturing fast and the word is the latest version of cinnamon is pretty good.  LMDE is a version base taken directly from Debian instead of Ubuntu.  It is also a rolling release which means it continuiously updates it's self and you aways have the latest release.  It also means it can break it's self very easy so I do not recommend this one for you.  I am using the XFCE window manager and like it very much next to the GNOME 2. It is light weight, good for older hardware, has a good selection of features and is highly customization   

What I would recommend you do is depending on your internet speed download each of them KDE, Cinnamon, Mate and XFCE load them on your USB stick and see which one(s) you like.  Then install it and play around with it.  One thing Mint does have over Zorn is a very large user base and their forums are full of Knowledgeable folks, although don't take me wrong I have gotten quite speedy reply's from the Zorn forums as well from some great folks.

I hope I haven't made this to complicated but if you have downloaded Zorn and installed it then you can do the same with just about any of the Ubuntu based Distro's.  Good Luck.

#6 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 01:28 PM

I decided to go ahead and DL cinnamon and I am currently using it on a live USB. I might be switching from ubuntu over to cinamon. So far I like the interface better.

One thing I found that I dont like about Linux is that is doesnt format the usb. I googled "how to" several different ways but I never got a decent answer. 

#7 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 01:40 PM

On of these days, I am going to try this. Just too busy right now to set up an operating system.

1: Download Unetbootin

2: Download an .iso of the version you want to try. Lets do Ubuntu 12.04. While its downloading go do something else because this takes the longest.

3: insert formated (FAT32) USB

4: open unetbootin

5: browse to find your ubuntu .iso

6: press OK

After its through making the live USB, it will ask if you want to reboot. Reboot and hit F12 (usually) when it starts coming back up. This will take you into the BIOS and you can choose to boot off the usb. Finish booting and you will be in ubuntu.

Depending on internet speed, you will be done in under an hour. Of course the first time you try may take longer due to the learning curve, mine is still very steep but I had cinnamon upand running in under 2.5. Thats including all the mistakes I made.

Using the Live version dosent change your computer. Once you restart normally you will be back into your normal OS. While running the live stick, you can choose to install from the desktop.

#8 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 01:57 PM

here is a link on how to format a thumb drive using Ubuntu http://askubuntu.com...-external-drive

EDIT to add http://forums.linuxm...p?f=90&t=102209 for mint

Edited by dogsoldier, January 19, 2013 - 01:59 PM.

• coldone said thank you

#9 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 06:23 PM

The only thing I can add to Coldone's instructions is when you reboot and try to go to the BIOS to set it to boot from the USB stick the F12 may not work for your computer.  Normally your splash screen will tell you which key to use to go into setup. Both of my computers use the delete key.