• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mmclaughlin OFFLINE  

mmclaughlin

• Member No: 2212
  • 70 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 02:38 PM

I have this Montgomery Wards/ Gilson with a 16hp twin Briggs, Just wondering how this tank would pull ? I would like to find out as much info as I can if it's worth building as a puller or using the motor in another chasis. 

I guess my biggest question is how would the vari-drive work pulling ? It's gear shift hi-low w/ vari-drive.

Planning on pulling stock class with other 16 & 18hp in 1200lb class 

Will run 23x10.5x12 ags 

Any help / info would be great, Thanks 

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1718.JPG

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 09:03 PM

Glad to see we have more people getting into the pulling scene :thumbs: Check with your local clubs rulesto see what all can be done first so that way you know youll be legal. Im not very familiar with these gilson brand tractors but they look like tanks. No idea on how the vari-drive works hopefully someone can help you out with that area. If your allowed to run a 18hp I would put one in there so that way motor wise youll be around the same as everyone else. Does that club run bigger tires sizes? Usually with those kind of engines most clubs run 26x12x12 tires.

#3 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 07:02 AM

If you decide to use something else and wanna sell that Gilson...........I'm sure it would go pretty fast.....

#4 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 11:50 AM

In a box stock class it might do ok, but that variator will robb you of power and makes things complicated !  Bust thing for pulling is to keep it simple and effective ,as well as lite so you can place weight where its needed.

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#5 baerpath OFFLINE  

baerpath
  • Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 04:13 PM

If the vary is good it will be fine. Same thing as a JD You may have to play with the springs some and remember small movements using the pedal will be better than using the handle