twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 10:03 AM

http://cincinnati.cr...3534910624.html

3.5hp briggs turning a car alt... seems like it would work pretty good as long as the battery has enough juice to energize the alternator. I hate to think that I have enough dead batteries to warrent dedicating a engine though.

I have also seen people set up a small engine turning an alt to power a bank of batteries that are running a power inverter for power outage use... lot of energy loss in that chain but if all of the parts are scavenged then it's better than nothing.

3nb3M53N65Nb5G15Ffd19f3b88eef83ad1ca6.jpg

Edited by twostep, January 18, 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 10:50 AM

Leave to the Cincinnatians.... hahaha.

I actually have a GM alternator on my tractor to help run my winch on it. I really never considered using it for jumping but I guess it would work.

I agree, better hope you got enough juice to energize alternator or a waste of time. With the bicycle pic, if you can't jump it, at least you can ride the bicycle to gt where you're going LOL

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 12:10 PM

It isnt the craziest idea in the world. I always grab the Caterpillar to jump start with because it has a gm alternator mounted on it to compensate for the lift winch. However, since buying a jumpstart pack I would not be without that in my shop. Handiest thing I ever bought.

#4 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 12:18 PM

I bought an old reel mower that had a 1 1/2 horse, horizontal shaft engine once.  I lived in the woods and had no lawn to mow.  I bought it so I could hook up a GM alternator to charge 12 volt batteries, which we used for TV and some lighting in our cabin.  I also would hook up a pump to pump water from our shallow well to our garden.  I even had a sprinkler attached to the top of a step ladder in that garden.  That was better than using a hand pump to fill watering cans.  Although these things worked, and that was a fun part of my life, I kinda enjoy using a light switch and faucet these days.

• twostep said thank you

#5 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 12:45 PM

that is what is called being spoiled.

Dick

#6 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 03:17 PM

I've got a really nice troybilt pressure washer frame and engine, the pump went bad and it does not have the hose or handle... it's sittiing in the corner collecting dust anyway so if an alternator falls into my lap I might make one of these.