5 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 09:49 AM

In The BCS Video Thread it was mentioned that a Pull Type Balers for a compact would be cool.

Conventional small square Balers take a minumum of 35 hp and are not adaptable to most compact tractors. However farmers outside north America farm on a much smaller scale than we do and have come up with equipment that wll operate on their and our smaller tractors.

Here is a link to a company in Texas that has put a selection together for those of us with Hobby farms.

http://www.smallfarminnovations.com/

#2 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 11:17 AM

I was looking at those a while back. Several other vendors available as well.They even make models to hook to 2 wheel tractors like the BCS brands! There are several Youtube videos (some promos and many european farmers) of LG and walk behind tractors cutting and baling hay. Most of those small machines are crazy-expensive - some more than full size machines!

I was looking for a small baler for my 2320 at the time. I didn't realize how big an investment haying equipment is!... For now, it's cheaper for me to get my neighbor (who cuts and bales a lot of acres) to come and harvest for me. I cut and windrow, he gathers and bales...

#3 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 05:24 PM

That would be an expensive hobby but would be fun.............

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 07:26 PM

Yes the equipment is expensive and I am not sure making hay on 5 of my 8.9 acres could be a money making proposition?
Still in the research stages and there is a lot of things to consider.
The farmers in this area have gone to big enough equipment that my small place is not something most are willing to do.

#5 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 07:30 AM

Yes the equipment is expensive and I am not sure making hay on 5 of my 8.9 acres could be a money making proposition?
Still in the research stages and there is a lot of things to consider.
The farmers in this area have gone to big enough equipment that my small place is not something most are willing to do.

Horse people tend to like the small square bales, and might pay a little more, but that's pretty small acreage.  You might want to consider getting old equipment (tractor, mower, rake and baler) and restoring it, but it becomes so labour intensive that if you pay yourself a buck an hour you'll likely still lose money.

#6 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 04:22 PM

Horse owners are usually VERY PARTICULAR about their hay as well.