#1 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted September 12, 2010 - 08:48 AM

My little guy came home lastnight from his friends place and was telling me about what the kids where doing.He wasn't very happy with what his friends did [nor was I too hear that either] His friends were driving there simplicity tractor around [it was bought just to give the kids something to drive]they have a creek running through the property and Yup the kids were driving it back and forth through the water.I asked how deep the water was and my son told me it went part way up the motor and the belts were throwing water all over.He said that they had chains on so that they wouldn't get stuck.My son wasn't too impressed with that as he came home and told me what they were doing.I asked him if there Dad was around and he said that he was there watching them and didn't care.All I could say to him was its there stuff and they can do what they want.Just goes to show what some people's values are about machines.Sorry to rant but I hate seeing stuff like that abused.:mad2: Larry

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 12, 2010 - 10:11 AM

Dumb is as dumb does... I reckon. :wallbanging:

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,252 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted September 12, 2010 - 10:29 AM

If that's all the more they care about the machine, maybe it's buy-able cheap.

Need to go visit with your neighbor sometime. :D

#4 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted September 12, 2010 - 02:39 PM

:ditto:

I reckon.....

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted September 12, 2010 - 07:11 PM

Make's me sick to see those youtube vids of people driving Bolens and other Brands in creeks :wallbanging:

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 12, 2010 - 07:25 PM

Make's me sick to see those youtube vids of people driving Bolens and other Brands in creeks :wallbanging:

:ditto::ditto::ditto:

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 12, 2010 - 07:42 PM

It's a real shame that not everyone realizes the value of things. Maybe they'd trade it for a beat up four wheeler?

#8 old iron OFFLINE  

old iron

• Member No: 1270
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted September 26, 2010 - 09:05 AM

What gets me? Is ever since we moved out to the country, I see this all over. When a decent lawn mower (such as an old cub or something) breaks down, they like to leave it parked right in the spot it died at. Then they go to home depot and buy a new crap and just leave the poor old iron out in the weather to rot. They look at you with their real glass sealed beam headlights (so sad) enough as to say PLEASE SAVE ME! They will never make machines like they used to 30 or 40 years ago.....I just needed to vent I guess. LOL :wallbanging:

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,252 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted September 26, 2010 - 09:09 AM

They look at you with their real glass sealed beam headlights (so sad) enough as to say PLEASE SAVE ME!

My wife doesn't understand my "Iron-Oxide Addiction" but she melts when a puppy looks at her that way. :D

#10 old iron OFFLINE  

old iron

• Member No: 1270
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted September 26, 2010 - 09:29 AM

I guess that it's the "it's so old it's not worth fixing" attitude that irks me..... I guess I can find satisfaction knowing they'll be calling a repair shop sooner than they think to replace the cheap broken/worn out parts on their new home depot special. LOL

#11 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted September 26, 2010 - 12:58 PM

The young generation[I stand corrected the majority of them not all] live in a throw away society.There way of looking at stuff is it's easier to buy somethng new then spend money on having the old one fixed.Its getting to be that even cars are going to be made to last only 5 yrs and then it's throw it away.I don't know where there going to be getting all the $$$$ for the new stuff. Larry

#12 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 26, 2010 - 02:08 PM

Larry, I know exactly what you're saying.

#13 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 26, 2010 - 05:55 PM

The young generation[I stand corrected the majority of them not all] live in a throw away society.There way of looking at stuff is it's easier to buy somethng new then spend money on having the old one fixed.Its getting to be that even cars are going to be made to last only 5 yrs and then it's throw it away.I don't know where there going to be getting all the $$$$ for the new stuff. Larry

The sad thing is, they've been almost forced into that attitude by manufacturers that build their "merchandise" that way trying to keep up with the foreign companies dumping their stuff on our markets at prices we cannot match! Most of them want everything and they want it now. Instead of saving up to buy a quality piece, they buy cheap stuff and replace it with cheap stuff when it breaks. As a result, companies start selling cheaper products that really aren't worth repairing! The younger generations assume that it's always been this way because we've been headed this way for so long now, that they don't remember when things were built with pride and built to last! OK, off the soap box now!

#14 mf14a OFFLINE  

mf14a

• Member No: 1277
  • 6 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted September 27, 2010 - 07:43 AM

I'm on my fourth massey rebuild and if you do it right, they will last forever. Not like some of the new cheaply made machines...