Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Am I Taking This Restoration Thing Too Far ?

i.d.plate restoration cub 72

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • Member No: 14152
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 12:10 PM

I think the new tag looks GREAT!!!

I look at restorations as an expression of the artist (and the quality of some of the restorations I have seen on here DO aproach the term "art"). 95% of the time it is IMPOSSIBLE to restore an item to "as-new" condition using EOM materials - to make it JUST-LIKE it came from the factory. So how effectively you can use modern tools, supplies and reproductions defines the restorer's skill!

To make a true concours type resto, the better step would be to clean up the original plate as best as possible and leave it like that. And I have great respect and admiration for those types of restorations. But to do that type of job, you have to start with a very good "carcass". And spend a lot of time and money finding OEM parts in good shape... 

Most of the time, our "starting points" aren't good enough to do concours restoration, and repros and recreations are the much better choice for most of us to bring an old machine back to life. I think these restorations to "like new, but better using modern parts" are harder to do and make authentic looking.

Powdercoat is a good example. In many places, powdercoat is a MUCH better choice than paint - tougher and lasts longer. Not OEM, but a better choice. Same way some folks replace NLA engines with modern variants that are more powerful and fuel efficient.

Wow, didn't mean to type that much!!! Great job on the plate and the tractor!!!

I completely agree ! I left the rust pitting in the hood, which can be seen through the powdercoat . It almost looks like orangepeeling in paint . To me it retains the " character" of the tractor as found . Mine sat outside, uncovered for ten years so I felt I needed to tell that part of this tractor's life . Man this sure is fun . Glad I decided to buy that first Cub in 2001, a 2206 .

#32 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 09:05 AM

Update ! The QA-36 snowthrower is finally done . There's no paint on it, it's all powdercoat . New auger bearings ( email me for source and part number, if interested ), new chain, completely dissassembled , including 90 degree gearbox . Gearbox bearings and seals were good so only cleaning, reassembled and greased . Made my own cover gasket as it was cheaper than buying a new one . I still have to fit it to the tractor to run the chute rod and the lift rod and run the whole thing and adjust as required . The 42 inch mower deck is also almost complete . I still have to get the new shroud around the blades powdercoated and reinstall it . The last piece will be the new front roller which is being turned out of red oak . 

Note: the first four pics are after and the last four are before pics .

Thanks to everyone's kind words of encouragement and advise .

Attached Thumbnails

• Snowthrower is finally done ! 3-20-13 001.JPG
  • Snowthrower is finally done ! 3-20-13 002.JPG
  • Snowthrower is finally done ! 3-20-13 003.JPG
  • Snowthrower is finally done ! 3-20-13 004.JPG
  • QC-36 snowthrower before pics 002.JPG
  • QC-36 snowthrower before pics 003.JPG
  • QC-36 snowthrower before pics 005.JPG
  • QC-36 snowthrower before pics 007.JPG

• backwoods said thank you

#33 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 09:29 PM

Wow Mike! That blower looks great! :thumbs:  Maybe I won't meet you on Friday, as my tractors won't be able to compete with your quality of finished. Just kidding, can't wait to see you my firend! :smilewink:

• mike912e said thank you

#34 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 09:43 PM

Only you can determine how far is going too far.

This is the exact thing I thought.. I think it's a marvelous job you've done so far and the extra touches will give it a better than new look.

#35 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 07:44 AM

I am looking forward to starting on my 124 Cub later this year . Based on what I've learned doing my model 72, I hope the 124 will be even better . I will be able to powdercoat even more parts now that I'm figuring out how to do it . My powdercoater will work with me as I've allready spoken to him about how to get an even better product . When I have the mower deck done I'll post pics of it . I still have to shorten the driveshaft on the 72 as I was forunate enough to purchase a creeper gear at a great price .

Can anyone answer a question for me ? Why add a rear PTO ? Does it interfere with the three point linkage ? What attachments available would require a rear PTO ? I have a guess or two , but being new at this I'll rely on you guys for the answers .

Thanks ahead of time for all your help .

Mike

#36 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 03:10 PM

Update ! With a little help from my nephew I was able to get the wiring sorted and fired the old Cub up for the first time in fourty years ! And no smoke ! I still need to go over all of it an check for any missed fasteners that might still be loose . The brake/clutch linkage needs adjusted and the governor/throttle linkage as well . Thanks to all who have encouraged me . The first show wil be the 18th of this month . I'll provide pics and feedback afterwords . I've included pics of three of the four Cubs : 2206 on the left, 104 in the center and the newly finished 72 on the right .

Attached Thumbnails

• The Cub 72 is finally running 001.JPG
  • The Cub 72 is finally running 002.JPG
  • The Cub 72 is finally running 003.JPG

• MH81, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#37 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 04:11 PM

Glad to hear of success on your part. Great pics you shared, too!

#38 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 08:04 PM

Wow that is beautiful. have you thought about clear coating the plate to give it more protection?

#39 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 04:57 AM

Very, very nice. Glad to hear it all came together for you.

#40 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 10:14 AM

Wow that is beautiful. have you thought about clear coating the plate to give it more protection?

Great suggestion . I'm awaiting the first plate back from the engravers . I'm trying that over hand stamping . I asked that they try to match the size and font of the original numbers/letters . Then, depending on the outcome I might put a coat of clear finish over it . I'll keep everyone posted .

#41 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 08:00 AM

Here are three pics of the new I.D. plate with the engraving done . It might be hard to read as the plate is new and there's no dirt in the letter/number grooves . The engraver replicated the size and font quite well . Added two more pics of the plate on the Cub's engine shroud .

Attached Thumbnails

• engraved Cub Cadet ID tag 001.JPG
  • engraved Cub Cadet ID tag 002.JPG
  • engraved Cub Cadet ID tag 003.JPG
  • new Cub ID plate on my 1968 model 72 005.JPG
  • new Cub ID plate on my 1968 model 72 007.JPG

Edited by mike912e, May 28, 2013 - 08:14 AM.

• twostep said thank you

#42 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 10:27 AM

That looks great! Why did you curl the copper gas line like that?

#43 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 01:27 PM

Bad habit from his moonshining days?

• LTD, twostep and mike912e have said thanks

#44 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 01:51 PM

That allows the line to flex and be less likely to crack.

• LTD, twostep and mike912e have said thanks

#45 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 02:05 PM

Actually DougT is correct . We all know that these single cylinder Kohlers vibrate alot when they run and since the tank is mounted above the shaking engine any vibrating motion is amplified . So there can be vibrations thru the fuel line which could eventually lead to work-hardening of the copper line and finally failure . An analogy would be to bend a piece of sheet metal over and over again and eventually it breaks along the bend line . That's why most fuel lines in our cars are made from rubber ; it won't fail after repeated flexing . The rubber material absorbs the vibrations .

This configuation of the copper fuel line in the picture is original to the Cub . That's the way they usually did things back in the day .

I hope this answers your question .

• KennyP and LTD have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: i.d.plate, restoration, cub 72