#16 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,482 Thanks
  • 7,625 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 03:36 PM

Just think, if he had tied that puppy to a tether pole he could have done his entire yard in about a 45 seconds.

Till the rope broke and it ween careening off through the neighborhood.

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 04:15 PM

Tether pole reminds me of a guy who lived on the edge of town. retired Navy guy and his hobby was model Pulse jet airplanes.

He had them cabled to a tether pole and claimed they would go 150 mph. Never heard of one getting away?

But they sure raised a rukus when he fired them up!

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 17, 2013 - 04:15 PM.

#18 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 06:09 PM

Till the rope broke and it ween careening off through the neighborhood.

You just triggered a thought....when I was young I had a red model race car that had an small RC type airplane motor with a propeller on the back. It was designed to be hooked to a tether and race around in circle. Well, we thought it would be great to let her rip on the paved drive way at the house so one day we hooked it all up, started the motor and let her rip.

Much to our amazement the car started whipping around that post faster and faster until it lifted off the ground and started to fly. Ummmmmmm as you might have figured out......we had that damn thing on too short of a tether and boy howdy did we are scatter like flies. We sough cover behind anything that we thought could keep us safe from the projectile that was SCREAMING around in a circle. We had to till the car ran out of fuel before we could move in and assess the damages.

Needless to say, that red car NEVER "fly" again. Oh, by the way, did I mention the sound that this thing made? I wake up with night sweats regularly....just before it impacts my face (J/K).

(Just on a whim I googled it and I found a pick.)

fly car.jpg

Notice the eyelets where the tether connects? And to think how much we worry about kids and what they play with today. I guess no one of our generation and before loved their kids.