Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Wheel Horse 706 And Bolens 1250 Husky

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Per OFFLINE  

Per
  • Member No: 11470
  • 144 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 04:00 AM

This is from a danish site

http://www.guloggrat...agepos=0#images

The Wheel Horse 706 is without engine.

http://www.guloggrat...116-havetraktor

Should I go for one of them????

1440.gif

Edited by Per, January 17, 2013 - 04:03 AM.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 08:52 AM

What is the price in US dollars. I have two of the 1250 Bolens. One runs and Its my favorite tractor. There was one near me last week in good running condition for $700 which is high by my standards. Parts are generally available but some get expensive. If you can, take a look at it. It is bigger than a garden tractor and is what used to be called an "estate" tractor. The first estate tractor I saw was a Wheelhorse D250 about 30 years ago. Since then, I've been interested in that size. The Bolens Large Frames are the most common estate tractors. That one is missing the seat. The correct suspension for the seat may be difficult to get. Good Luck

#3 Per OFFLINE  

Per
  • Member No: 11470
  • 144 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 06:48 PM

What is the price in US dollars. I have two of the 1250 Bolens. One runs and Its my favorite tractor. There was one near me last week in good running condition for $700 which is high by my standards. Parts are generally available but some get expensive. If you can, take a look at it. It is bigger than a garden tractor and is what used to be called an "estate" tractor. The first estate tractor I saw was a Wheelhorse D250 about 30 years ago. Since then, I've been interested in that size. The Bolens Large Frames are the most common estate tractors. That one is missing the seat. The correct suspension for the seat may be difficult to get. Good Luck

Thank you for your reply. The price in US dollars would be 810 US $. Maybe I can get the price a little down. These kind of tractors are quite expensive here in Denmark, so I am not that scared of the price. The tractor is located approx. 500 km from where I live. That would be a 5 hours drive with the speed limits we have here in Denmark.

Is the Bolens bigger than my Gilson?

As far as I have read my Gilson have more horse power than the Bolens. The engine on the Bolens is a Wisconsin 12,5 hp. I have never heard the name Wisconsin before now, so I think it will be very, very difficult to get spareparts in Denmark.

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 07:16 PM

I believe that it is much larger than your Gilson. The rear wheels are 15". The Wisconsin built heavy duty industrial engines with alot of torque. The transaxle is rated for 35hp. Wisconsin is the state where many Scandinavians settled because it was like home. I'll pull my 1250 against any of the other brand 20 hp tractors and I'll beat them. These large frames were built up to about 1987. There is an article about them somewhere here. Check them out in the Photo Galleries.

Parts are available from Sam's Bolens and other dealers. There is a club dedicated to them too. http://groups.yahoo....nsTractorsClub/

I just looked at the pictures again. There is something funny about it (besides the paint). It looks like an alternator was added. That is strange. The electrical may be messed up. It also looks like it has the oversized 12" wheels rather than the normal 15" wheels. Are there any attachments? Good Luck

Edited by boyscout862, January 17, 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 07:34 PM

Your veteran tractor site has a Bolens Tube Frame for sale. The tube frames were smaller than the large frames but very rugged too. Here in 1968 a new 1250 with mower deck and plow cost the same as a new VW. The 1250 is hydrostatic and has the hydraulic lift.