sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 09:44 PM

I got the chance to spend time with an old Bush Hog dealer today. He shared some neat information on these bush hogs and their history.

1- The Javalina and Jabalina story- they were originally called Javalina, but one of the car manufacturers had a current model named the same and they contacted bush hog and told them to cease using the name or they would be taken to court. The decision was made to change the name to Jabalina to prevent any more issues regarding the name.

2- The end of Bush hog was mostly due to OSHA regualations that they were wanting the company to do. Not only with the models and safety switches, but also the revamping of the old factory to make the work environment safer.....from what I understand, most of these were made in a large fairly open factory, welders, painting etc all going on in the same large room, OSHA wanted this to change as well.....the owner at the time was in his 80's and decided he did not want to go that route and decided to shut down the plant.

3- most of these parts were made in house and were hand made......I had commented on the welding on some of the parts I owned and had seen, that the welds were not very "pretty" or clean......he said they were welded with stick welders back then.....

Most of the steel used in the transmissions were probably not hardened, they had a machine shop with in the building that made many of the parts needed. He said they were excellent GT's for mowing but the clutches (pto) were the weak link (along with some of the transmission parts)

I had a great day and was able to pick up a few pieces.....most of the older stuff was hauled off in early 2000.....he said they sold for scrap most of it at that time......he said the had a forklift that attached to the back that was in the parts that were scrapped.....

All in all, a great time discussing these old gt's!

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, broken2 and 10 others have said thanks

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 09:53 PM

That's awesome Scott!! What a great day that must have been. I love learning the history of this old Iron.

It is a shame though that most of it is "History" But at least folks like ourselves are doing our best to preserve what is left. Thanks again for the great story. :thumbs:

• sacsr said thank you

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 10:05 PM

Scott, Where's all the pictures?

Glad you had a great time please post everything you can think of that you 2 spoke about please.

• sacsr said thank you

#4 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 10:24 PM

It was a rainy day so not much as far as pictures go. I will post some pictures of the couple of goodies that I was able to pick up. He was a great guy.....had a nos grill emblem but it was not for sale .......still pretty cool to have had the chance to talk with him.

He did tell a great story about his dad selling/promoting these bush hogs.....at that time sunbeam had come out with bread did not have holes in them.....their ad on tv was a child saying "look mom no holes"......his dad had the idea to put an ad and billboard out that said "look mom no belts"......keep in mind at that time the belts made were only rubber and not very good- breaking, etc.......bush hogs direct drive and no belts was a big deal.......he said they sold over 800 bush hogs from the dealership....they were still selling bush hogs as late as 1974. They bought models that had not sold and also bought models that had been returned (for what ever reason to the factory" and had be fixed/repaired and he bought those cheaper since they were used.

Once cool thing he said was that they had a batch of bush hogs that had motors that had "craftsman" labels/name on them.....a customer called asking why his had it on the name and they figured that bush hog must have bought a batch of them at a good price and therefore they were installed in these particular gt's....I can remember if they were tecumseh or wisconsins....but I am thinking he said tecumsehs....

Edited by sacsr, January 19, 2013 - 09:28 AM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, IamSherwood, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#5 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 08:38 AM

Some more info to share.

He said the earlier D4-10 had yellow rims but the later ones had white. I am thinking he also said the D4-12 came in white rims only.

Front pto clutch was its weakest link, he felt if they had come with electric pto clutches would have been much better.

The front pto clutch has two screws holding it on. When you take the Allen wrench to screw out the first one (this one has a flat end) there is another one deeper (that has a point) that holds it on to the shaft. He said most people got the first one out and then (not realizing there was another screw deeper) tried to use a puller to pull it off. Thus damaging the pto.

He said the factory first built a realistic looking cardboard model of the tractor- then put it in a landscape type setting, took a picture, and placed ads of it to see if any one was interested in buying them. He said once the cards requesting more info or to purchase one started coming in, the factory started building them.

He also said the factory came by their business showing a prototype mini baler. He remembers the bales being the size of a shoe box. He said he did think they ever built any, since he does not remember them ever being able to purchase.

He was thinking there were no more than about 50 dealers total in the country.

He bought them by the tractor load and he thought there were 28 in a load.

Will keep going by and listening to what else he is willing to share.

To say the least, I have truly enjoyed meeting and talking to him.

Edited by sacsr, January 19, 2013 - 09:30 AM.

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, tractorgarden and 2 others have said thanks

#6 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 09:03 AM

Thanks for this good BH history.

Good old "small time business back then" story.

Makes me want to own one. Hmmm, I had one once. I

should have kept it. :smilewink:

• sacsr said thank you

#7 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 09:20 AM

He also said the Bush Hog rear wheel weights were made by the same people that made the IH wheel weights.
  • SupplySergeant said thank you

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 09:23 AM

This has been an enlightening read. Thanks for the background you have come across.

The part about the allen screws reminds me of the Cub PTO screws as they are the same way and a lot of folks can't figure out how they come off because of that.

• sacsr said thank you

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 09:29 AM

He also said the Bush Hog rear wheel weights were made by the same people that made the IH wheel weights.

That I do believe, as the weights are VERY close to being identical.  Thanks so much for sharing Scott!  And BTW....Cub Cadet PTO cluthes have the same "stacked" allen screws, and you can in fact use the CC clutches on Bush Hog tractors.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#10 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 09:48 AM

It would make sense with the rim color, as so many are showing up with white rims.

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 10:54 AM

It would make sense with the rim color, as so many are showing up with white rims.

At first I thought someone had changed rims on some of the Hogs, but there began to be too many with all 4 white rims, so I figured they must have started using white at some point.  

#12 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 11:44 AM

My D4-12 has white rims all the way around. I do like the way the yellow looks though.

#13 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 11:49 AM

Scoot, My D4-12 has the serial number D4-12  "101". Can you ask him the next time if he know what the serial numbers started with?

#14 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 12:06 PM

Yes I can check on the serial number.

My HD-12 had yellow rims......

I too prefer the yellow since it matches their "theme colors".

I sent him a picture I had bought on ebay back a while that showed 3 men dressed up in business coats or ties......will see if he recognizes any of the men in the picture.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#15 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 12:10 PM

I thought the HD -12 came out before the D4-12 was offered, not sure about that though.