• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 mebebob OFFLINE  

mebebob
  • Member No: 22737
  • 13 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 01:39 PM

Oh well, regardless of what it is, it's going to be a different color when I'm done and no longer original. I would like to know what's up though just because I'm curious by nature. If I take a notion, I may install a cigarette lighter in the dash anyway. Might come in handy to have a 12 volt supply.

Ed and Mike both have been a pleasure to talk with and both have been very informative. I decided to go with the trigger pin set up because of the simplicity. The original ssi had 12 volts ran through it which apparently kills it.

I have located some manuals online but I don't know if I have the particular one you're talking about. mebebob hotmail. Thanks. I hope I don't need a new cam and the flat part is normal for "duration".

#17 mebebob OFFLINE  

mebebob
  • 13 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 01:45 PM

Honestly, they're timken bearings... Pretty hard to hurt them, but prudence is a good idea.

Yeah, I got to thinking, I had hit the threaded rod on the puller fairly hard while removing the flywheel. That was before I had seen the bearings and I wasn't thinking about them. If that didn't hurt them, the little tapping it took to remove the key certainly didn't either.

#18 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 02:53 PM

Yeah, I got to thinking, I had hit the threaded rod on the puller fairly hard while removing the flywheel. That was before I had seen the bearings and I wasn't thinking about them. If that didn't hurt them, the little tapping it took to remove the key certainly didn't either.

I had a buddy that smacked the end of the gear puller really hard with a 3# sledge while removing flywheel, didn't hurt bearings what so ever. You are going to have to pound pretty hard and repeated to damag them.

Sent you email, hopefully it comes through.

#19 mebebob OFFLINE  

mebebob
  • 13 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 06:05 PM

I got it. Thanks a lot! Needless to say, obviously, but this is my first small engine rebuild. That manual will save all of us a bunch of easy questions. :thumbs:

#20 mebebob OFFLINE  

mebebob
  • 13 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:42 AM

Nothing new to add as far as the build goes, but I do have a little story I'll relate. About a week ago, I had a small dream one night about the tractor. We were in the workshop and I started the engine on the work bench. No battery, no wires, just started the engine because that's the way I roll in MY dreams. Anyway, the engine was extremely quiet. So quiet in fact, it was like a dream.

The engine was instantly installed on the tractor and I took it out for a spin around our little town. It was fast. Scary fast. I was able to drift through a couple of intersections and pulled a couple of wheelies.

We all know the cool stuff we can do in our dreams, and dreams in and of themselves, do not usually make for good discussion or disclosure. However, last night I was talking on the phone with my father and he told me he had been out to the workshop the day before and was surprised to see the engine completely disassembled. He then told me had a dream that night about the tractor.

Seems, in his dream, that I was unable to put the tractor back together again and he had to buy a new one. I laughed and told him about my dream. I can see why he is aprehensive. There are a lot of parts laying around, but they are acutually in some sort of order. The tractor is the center of the shop and the parts that are farthest from the tractor, are the first parts to come off. The first pieces I restore to the tractor are the closest ones. Same with the engine on the bench. I have also kept the bolts and screws with the piece it goes with or put it back into the hole it came out of.  It does look daunting I'll admit, but I'm thinking about it in sections and will not let any section be too large to handle easily.

Looking forward to getting back on it tomorrow.

• KennyP said thank you

#21 mebebob OFFLINE  

mebebob
  • 13 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 04:31 PM

th_20130123_135554_zpsebafa35c1.jpg Hello, hello? Is this thing on?

I made a tool to compress the springs and get my valves out. Paid 10 dollars at autozone. Took about 2 minutes to grind it and about 5 minutes later I had both valves out. I saw a picture where someone else had done this. Good idea that I wouldn't have thought of on my own. Wish I knew who to thank.

#22 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 05:33 PM

Glad you got the valves out, for some reason, the picture is pretty small, how to the seats and valves look?

#23 mebebob OFFLINE  

mebebob
  • 13 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 07:26 PM

20130123_135554.jpg

Don't know what I did to the pic. The valves and seats looked fine. The intake looked better than the exhaust, a little lapping will be sufficient.

Do you know which bolts I can reuse on the engine or do I need to use new ones for everything?

#24 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 10:06 PM

I reuse almost every bolt I can. Unless there is some physical damage or other reason to not reuse, it's going back on the engine.

Many guys will buy stainless steel hardware for anything visible, might be something to consider.
  • mebebob said thank you

#25 mebebob OFFLINE  

mebebob
  • 13 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 10:47 PM

That's what I was thinking as well.

On another note. The mystery of the tractor came a little closer to be solved today. I finally got around to measuring the rear wheels and they are 22.5x7.5x12. If it was a SS, it would have came with 9.5 wheels in the rear. Quality control must not have been too tight in 1968. :reading_the_manual:

#26 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 05:02 AM

On another note. The mystery of the tractor came a little closer to be solved today. I finally got around to measuring the rear wheels and they are 22.5x7.5x12. If it was a SS, it would have came with 9.5 wheels in the rear. Quality control must not have been too tight in 1968. :reading_the_manual:

PO could have swapped the wheels around for whatever reason!

• mebebob said thank you

#27 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 10:48 AM

Not necessarily, my 68 SS12 has the 7.5" in the rear too, never swapped either. Cool valve tool. I had to make my own tool also when I replaced the head on my OH160...mother necessity!!!

• mebebob said thank you

#28 mebebob OFFLINE  

mebebob
  • 13 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 11:29 AM

Not necessarily, my 68 SS12 has the 7.5" in the rear too, never swapped either. Cool valve tool. I had to make my own tool also when I replaced the head on my OH160...mother necessity!!!

Hmmmm... Oh well, it's orange. I sanded through a patch of paint on the grill to see if it had been painted over original blue. Nope, orange from the factory. The only thing that says ss12 is the hood and grill. It's a hybrid!

Dad had talked to the son of the PO, he said nothing had been changed. Then talked to the guy who lived next door to PO for over 40 years and he said as far as he knew, dude only changed oil in the tractor from the day he brought it home.

I bet PO got the tractor originally at a reduced price because something happened to it before it was sold. Son and neighbor didn't know that.  Has to be a simple explanation somewhere.

That tool works great for removing the valves, the springs, not so much. I have decided the springs are good to go. I know how things work in my life and if I struggle to get the springs out, they will measure out fine and then I'll have to struggle to get them back in place.

I'm going to cut the steering shaft up by the wheel. I've tried everything I can think of and still no luck. I'll just tap holes in both pieces of shaft and put a stud in there and tighten it down. Don't want to, but...

#29 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 04:16 PM

I have actually seen a picture of an orange SS12 that had the "special" under the badge just like yours, I'm betting it was a sepcial order or something, you probably got a rare bird.

The steering wheels are a pain, many guys cut the shaft, some guys cut wheel up the sides and split it then replace with another.

No matter what your poison, they are a bear to get off. I have one to remove from a parts tractor, probably cutting wheel as I want to save the shaft.

• mebebob said thank you

#30 mebebob OFFLINE  

mebebob
  • 13 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 06:01 PM

20130124_161411.jpg

Here's what we have after today. I cut the steering wheel off and I don't feel the least bit guilty. If the good lord had intended us to suffer a reluctant steering wheel, he wouldn't have given us sawzalls.

Putting the rear up on ramps was not a good decision. Will take care of that mistake tomorrow or Saturday.

I'm not going to change the decals, so it's still going to say "suburban", "super", and "special" in various places. I may make some decals that say "Bob's" in fancy cursive to put in front of all those.

Hate to say it but, IF it is some kind of "rare bird", I would probably be inclined to put all back original and show it. I doubt it was special order though. Why order an SS in orange and without a cig lighter?