39 replies to this topic

#31 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 06:01 PM

not trying to tell you how to do your job but I'm a mod on other forums so I've encountered this type situation and I've found that it's best to lock the thread with a message explaining why instead of just deleteing it.

As with others, I missed the thread (pretty sure I'm no worse for the wear) but am enjoying the after party!

twostep, I really like your idea of locking a topic at a certain point but then maybe moving it to a new "Topic Section" named "BANNED" or something cheeky like that. If given the chance, I'm a firm believer that most people will govern themselves if given the opportunity. Most of the time (whether in real life or in the virtual world) when we have the chance to take another look at what we've said or how we've behaved we typically are able to see when and where we've veered off course and auto correct.

I manage people at my work and totally get the need for structure, order and discipline. I appreciate the work the site moderators do at keeping this forum headed in a constructive direction. Humans (adult humans in particular) are difficult to manage and keep corralled. I've found at my job one of the best ways to incite order and discipline is to encourage my team to keep themselves and others in check. With that said, is there a way that there could be a mechanism on this site for members and non-members to weigh in regarding another member's words or behaviors and have a say in when their "wings are clipped"? I noticed under my avitar that it says "0 Warning Points". Maybe this is used in the way I'm suggesting.

Just my unsolicited thoughts. I'm off to start my long drive home on roads covered with ball bearings (slippery snow) and hopefully make it home in one piece so I can patch things up with my lovely wife, which after a quick spat this morning, we both walked away with hurt feelings. Several of you tonight have owned up to the part you played in whatever happened in the thread and I commend you all for that. 

P.S. Oh and BTW, I agree with Kenny, let's get back to GTTalk.....that's what got me here in the first place. :thumbs:

• KennyP, HDWildBill, chris m and 2 others have said thanks

#32 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 06:14 PM

Yes it's a garden tractor forum, but it also a vibrant community of people with differing opinions on all kinds of subjects.  No one is forced to read the off topic threads.  While I completely understand the desire to keep the tenor of the forum polite and friendly, I think this can be accomplished while still allowing a lively discussion regarding any number of topics.  I thoroughly enjoy a good argument, not flaming, a good argument.  Off topic is for non-tractor related stuff.  If the powers that be do not want off topic stuff discussed, then remove the forum.

I don't mind a lively discussion. But when the topic is chosen such to cause heated words to fly, then I believe it has no place here. Guns and religion will cause heated words!

• olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#33 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 06:15 PM

Lets just kiss and makeup.

I am a lover, not a fighter.

Dick

• oldedeeres said thank you

#34 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 06:51 PM

Yes it's a garden tractor forum, but it also a vibrant community of people with differing opinions on all kinds of subjects.  No one is forced to read the off topic threads.  While I completely understand the desire to keep the tenor of the forum polite and friendly, I think this can be accomplished while still allowing a lively discussion regarding any number of topics.  I thoroughly enjoy a good argument, not flaming, a good argument.  Off topic is for non-tractor related stuff.  If the powers that be do not want off topic stuff discussed, then remove the forum.

I am not sure why you feel the way you do as stated in your last sentence? This is the first thread I have seen removed from " Off Topic". And if you look at the off topic there are a lot of subjects that have been discussed since it's creation!

Just try and remember this is a Family friendly site. There are so many places ( MSN, Yahoo news etc..) to get in these heated discussions. But there is no other place as good as this site to talk about GT's.

I for one would hate to see "Off Topic" get removed because of one heated thread.

Let's all just try to keep this site as peaceful and friendly as we can. I love this place and it's members! And there really is no other place like this.

• olcowhand, MH81, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#35 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 07:08 PM

well, I wondered why my notifications said I had been thanked numerous times and then when I went to check on it, it said I didn't have permission to view....I thought, "damnit, they caught me, they found out I was the one buying all the tractors they wanted and they BARRED me for good, sent to the pits of hell!!".. when actually you do still like me and I think I just blew my own cover...... :wallbanging:  :wallbanging: , lol.  Anyway, I live in NY, I teach Firearms for a living, I don't like the law but hey, life is going to happen wether we stand in its way or not.  At the end I still own my guns so I'm still smiling.  Until I mount a belt fed .30 cal to one of my tractors and they come to take the keys......I'll still be a tractor buildin S.O.B.......and THAT is why I'm here......so :beerchug:  to all of you that are here for the same reason!

NOW: I see many of you still bickering that I often see "thanking" each others posts. So, IF you agree to disagree and drop it all......THANK this post and lets get back to our hobby!!

• olcowhand, powerking56, DougT and 7 others have said thanks

#36 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 07:28 PM

Yeah-  Your leader wears a dress huh??    :smilewink:

Om not sure what that loose nut wears.. 

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#37 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 08:35 PM

I did not read the thread, and if I had seen it I probably would not of had much care to read it anyway. Very often threads come up on the site saying how great it is here, and that everybody can come here to relax. We are all joined here by our common hobby/addiction to GTs. Nobody comes here to discuss politics; lets not be torn apart by discussing something that we did not join to discuss.

If I were a moderator, I would vote to delete this thread as well. The reason, is because when I join a forum the "off topic" section is where I go first. I go there and it helps me to get a feel for the members and the site attitude as a whole, better then it would in the other forum sections. I think we should just let this go now, because in my opinion this is a blemish that will be seen by members who are looking to join the forum.

• olcowhand, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 4 others have said thanks

#38 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 08:48 PM

I've also seen banners at the top of "off topic" forums that state "NO RELIGION  & NO POLITICS"... that might be another good idea.

• MH81, Farmlife and oldedeeres have said thanks

#39 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 09:36 PM

Enough is Enough.  This is a GT Tractor site and not a political arena it is time we went back to what we are here for so this thread is now Closed!

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#40 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 09:39 PM

I have been to Lookout Mountain and Cade's Cove Tennessee . There are some preserved churches and graveyards as reminders of peaceful and troubled past . Some of this is on line - ok a lot. My family' peaceful visit sits well with age . My daughter will be working in Cincy area soon and should get the chance to revisit Cade's Cove . About it from here .