• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 CKT OFFLINE  

CKT
  • Member No: 25473
  • 5 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 06:55 AM

Hello all. New member here. Recently purchased a Wheel Horse 312-8 and can't seem to get parts from the local lawn repair shop via the model and serial numbers? Even tried Toro's site to no avail? Almost as if the machine does not exist?

Model- 37107

Serial- 2112K806

The real issue with the tractor is the upper steering column. It has major slop in it and it seems like there is a bushing/bearing missing?

The axle seals leak as well and will have to be replaced. Can this be accomplished without disassembling the axle?

Lastly, tires size? It has two different stlye tire treads/height on the rear while at the same time the size of the tire numbers are the same?

Hopefully none of these questions are to redundant and any help and your patience is much appreciated.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,761 Thanks
  • 7,528 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 07:35 AM

Welcome to GTT. The Wheelhorse guys will be by. Check the tire pressure of the rear tires. Have a look around the site while you are waiting. There are manuals to download and photos to view.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 08:36 AM

Welcome to GTTalk.  I'm not sure about the WH model you have but parts may no longer be available from the original manufacturer. There are many WH collectors here and someone will be able to help you. Generally  most bushings and seals are available as generic parts if you know what size you need. If you can find a service manual or parts manual that may help you figure out what is going on with the steering. It could be an easy fix. 

• farmer john said thank you

#4 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 08:45 AM

welcome to gttalk. im sure someone will tell u wat u are looking for. IF only they would show up. :D

#5 Tankman OFFLINE  

Tankman
  • Member No: 21308
  • 294 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 09:29 AM

Try partstree.com here:  http://www.partstree...er&mn=21-12K806

Hope this helps. Congrats on the purchase, a very nice Stallion!  :thumbs:

WH Model # 21-12K806 — Looks like an '89 model based on your serial number (37107).

Toro link for your WHhttps://lookup3.toro...est/sendreq.cfm

Click on "New Search"

Put in your WH Model # and, for serial number put in "None" (without the quotes).

Here's another link for you, this forum, a thinking member: http://gardentractor...300-400-series/

Edited by Tankman, January 16, 2013 - 11:37 AM.

#6 CKT OFFLINE  

CKT
  • 5 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 11:49 AM

Thanks Tank. I guess it's all in how you punch the numbers in. NAPA has the transmission seals on the way. I've owned several Horse's and currently have a 520H in which I purchased brand new in 1995 I believe. Anyway, I've never had axles seals leak on one of these machines? This particualr tractor has a rear discharge mower deck which seems would make for a harsh environment for the seals in the transmission with all the dust and debris? The deck will not be going back on. I plan on making this my snow plowing unit. I kind of missed shifting.

#7 Tankman OFFLINE  

Tankman
  • 294 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 12:19 PM

Been years since I've owned a read discharge Horse deck. Was usually driven by the Mrs. towin' a sweeper. Nice job.

The axle seals can be pried out, and replaced. A simple task.

One of my favorite upgrades was replacing the wheel studs with 7/16-20 x 1-1/2" bolts (available at Home "Cheapo" or Lowes). Used blue threadlocker on the "hub engaged" bolt threads and small flat washers behind the bolts for a "flat" face. I can now hang the rear tires easily, then use 7/16-20 acorn lug nuts (any auto parts store).

http://gardentractor...15383-lug-nuts/

Edited by Tankman, January 16, 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#8 CKT OFFLINE  

CKT
  • 5 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 01:24 PM

Good idea on the studs.

I just hope the hubs will come off. I have a puller and with the leaks they're already kind of pre-lubed.

I remember as a kid my dads 1972 Wheel Horse had a hub that was stuck. He broke out the BFH and after about the third smack the hub, axle and all flew across the garage floor. Yep, the snap ring that secured the axle internally broke and away it went.

We never took it apart and just attached a piece of angle iron to the fender with a piece welded on at a 90 degree angle that went down and against the sidewall of the tire. Before each use you would have to rub some grease on the sidewall to keep the friction down. Heck of a deal. :D

#9 Tankman OFFLINE  

Tankman
  • 294 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 01:55 PM

I have an automatic rear sittin' under cover behind my barn, both hubs on, one broken. Ouch.

I'm not in a hurry to remove either hub.

For your 312-8, check the gear lube often. Does the 312 have a rear dipstick to check fluid level?

Keep your eye on the level if the hub doesn't come off easily. Slow, steady, oil, tap, tap, tap.

I once tapped for a month or two before a hub started to move. Had the same experience removing the rear tow bar.

Good luck!

#10 CKT OFFLINE  

CKT
  • 5 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 02:05 PM

I didn't see a dipstick? I'm still in the process of learning the machine and getting it disassembled. I'll know more in a little while. I would like to go with 75W90 Mobile full synthetic for axle/gear lube? Will have to find out if there are any (yellow metals) in the transmission that would have an adverse affect to that type of fluid?

#11 Tankman OFFLINE  

Tankman
  • 294 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 02:57 PM

I didn't see a dipstick? I'm still in the process of learning the machine and getting it disassembled. I'll know more in a little while. I would like to go with 75W90 Mobile full synthetic for axle/gear lube? Will have to find out if there are any (yellow metals) in the transmission that would have an adverse affect to that type of fluid?

Years ago, I delivered shop supplies via tractor trailer to UPS terminals.

UPS had a huge data base of vehicle maintenance. They only use Mobil gear lube, 80W90 or whatever.

A friend was usin' 90W in his race car, one race per rear.

After changing to full synthetic, Mobil gear lube, three races per rear.

Drain your tranny and use synthetic if you like, two quarts.

And, yes, you do have a dip stick for the gear lube. (http://www.partstree...1-07R10008-0003)

#12 CKT OFFLINE  

CKT
  • 5 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 06:22 PM

The dipstick is MIA. No tube either? There was a hole with pipe thread and someone plugged it off with a silicone plug? Not sure how or where the axle vents but this might explain blown seals?

Plan on sealing up the leaks via seals and just install a vent/plug set up.Not to worried about a stick. As long as the oil is full and no leaks it really shouldn't be a big deal.

My tire shop couldn't find 22x9x12 tires for the rear. Plan on going with 23x8.5x12. Not sure if I can break down the current tires without a machine or not? I would like to paint the rims while I'm waiting for tires.

#13 Tankman OFFLINE  

Tankman
  • 294 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 08:49 PM

The small tires are difficult to remove, labor. 23x8.5x12 tires would be my choice.

Remove the air, lube the beads, drive up on the tires gently to break the bead(s).

If you don't plan on using the 22's, cut them off and discard them. 22x9x12's do seem impossible to find. I looked too.

#14 CKT OFFLINE  

CKT
  • 5 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 05:39 PM

The hubs came right off. Have to dress up the axles a little. Where the second set/lock screw goes in is a little burred and I'd hate to tear a new seal.

The imput shaft pulley is shot. It's wallowed about 90 degrees where it rides on the shaft. Looks like the set screw loosened causing wear on the key/pulley. The shaft diameter it 600 hundred thousands. I would assume that is a standard size. Plan on checking at my local bearing sale place tomorrow. Pulled the brake lining and pulley as well. Have the seal for it and the seal for the imput shaft should be here tomorrow.

In the meantime took some marine cleaner and cleaned the transaxle and now is grease free. Tomorrow I plan on dropping the axle down and see what is living/growing between the transaxle and the mounting plate coming off the frame. Will clean it up and paint the mating surfaces with POR15.

Really starting to like this thing and would like to give it a proper restoration one day.

#15 Tankman OFFLINE  

Tankman
  • 294 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 11:11 PM

Really starting to like this thing and would like to give it a proper restoration one day.

I am enjoying your description(s), very thorough work goin' on!

Never owned a 300 series WH. Looks like an excellent Stallion though.

I'm not started with my 520-8 ('90) WH, chompin' at the bit to get goin'. Perhaps this

week.

Thanks for the updates! :wave: