#1 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 11:49 PM

Been wanting a mineral spirits cleaning tank for a while but was holding off on spending $80-120 on one... well the old man calls me up last week and asks if I want one. It's not a fancy one with a circulation pump but that is something I can add later if I want. This thing has been in my dad's shop and then barn for 30 years or

better. I had to scrape an inch of sludge out of the bottom but she is ready for work now!

DSCN0358.JPG

DSCN0359.JPG

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,638 Thanks
  • 1,330 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 12:06 AM

I can't count how many parts washing half barrels I've seen though the years. Looks like someone did a real nice job making it.

What were you going to use for washing solution?   Mineral spirits?

• twostep said thank you

#3 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 02:41 AM

Can't beat the price and that was made nice! Congrats on getting it :thumbs:

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 04:39 AM

Looks in great shape for it's age. Just be sure to keep open flames away from where you put it!

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 08:48 AM

That looks like it will get the job done. I'd also be worried about fumes and the fire hazard with such a large surface area of solvent exposed. 

#6 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 08:55 AM

NICE!  Even has a shelf to keep brushes and scrapers and stuff without having them drip all over the floor or your work bench.  ( like those of us who use 5 gallon buckets or dishpans for parts cleaning)

• twostep said thank you

#7 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 09:00 AM

:nothingtoadd:

#8 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 09:51 AM

I can't count how many parts washing half barrels I've seen though the years. Looks like someone did a real nice job making it.

What were you going to use for washing solution?   Mineral spirits?

Yeah, my dad is an automatic transmission mechanic and has been for 50 years now. Back in those days they made a lot of their own tools and equipment... and they did it right! Yup, mineral spirits is what I use to clean greasy/oily parts.

That looks like it will get the job done. I'd also be worried about fumes and the fire hazard with such a large surface area of solvent exposed. 

Yeah, I don't plan to keep cleaning solvent just sitting in it since I'm not going to be cleaning parts regularly. I'll clean parts and then drain the solvent back into the jugs/cans for storage. As far as fire hazard, the lid fits pretty tight and should work as a fire suppressor plus I keep a large fire extinguisher handy in my garage. I put a few parts and about a gallon in last night (had to prop up one end to keep the solvent at one end of the tank) and I didn't smell any in the garage this morning so we'll see.

NICE!  Even has a shelf to keep brushes and scrapers and stuff without having them drip all over the floor or your work bench.  ( like those of us who use 5 gallon buckets or dishpans for parts cleaning)

Yeah, it's built right. Just need to put a drain valve in one end so I can easily drain solvent into a bucket. I've been using buckets and plastic tubs for a while so I'm happy to have this now. Plus the flat top can be used as a table when I'm not cleaning parts!

• Nato77 said thank you

#9 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 10:15 AM

A nice addition to the shop as well as a piece of family history..

• twostep said thank you

#10 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,485 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 10:23 AM

That is pretty well built and your dad's. I gave a parts washer away many year ago, regret it now.

I wouldn't worry too much about using mineral spirits, it has flash point of around 135-140* so unless you are heating the tank, shouldn't get too many flammable vapors. As you said, you have extinquisher and just keep no open flames or heat sources around. We use spirits regularly here at work to clean up printing inks/pigments in our labs after we test it.

• twostep said thank you

#11 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 02:32 PM

i would use a Alkaline cleaner such as Spray 9 or mean green and water have a fish tank heater in the liquid no worry's of Fire and its safer does a better job IMO you just need to dry your parts off after Tho

• twostep said thank you

#12 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 16, 2013 - 06:43 PM

Nice tank!  Just throwing my 2 cents out there,   in case of fire, close the lid first, the fire extinguisher may blow the solvent out spreading the fire. Keep the lid closed when you are not using it to slow evaporation and saving you money on refills. I bought a cheapy 5 gallon parts washer and the pumps only works when it wants to and the wiring was messed up when I got it new. I never really trusted it after that. Its nice to have a flooded brush to clean stuff off with, but I dont think it's worth the fire hazard.  sloshing parts around in a half full 5 gallon bucket works just as good (as long as they fit)

• twostep said thank you

#13 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 11:24 PM

I've used "degreasers" and I've never been impressed with them... maybe I'm just not using the right ones. I grew up around a transmission shop so mineral spirit is all I know... other than the newer parts cleaners that use really hot water with water based detergents. They do a great job, that is for sure. I wonder if you could use an old dish washer as a parts washer...