#1 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 09:24 PM

I mentioned this chart in another thread and thought I'd post it here.

I'm the type who gets into the history of different brands and I like to know who made what model tractors and when they were made.  I got inspired to compile this chart while I was downloading from the MTD manuals site.  It represents strictly that a given model / year combination is listed in the search engine or that there is an operator manual posted on their site.  I can't verify that a given model was actually produced that year, only that MTD listed it or had a manual printed.  For instance, there's a manual posted for an '82-'83 990 but I've never seen anyone mention having one that late on any of the forums.  Also, just because no manual is posted on the site doesn't mean they didn't make that model of tractor that year, I may have just missed it or they never scanned and posted it.  In fact, there were a few model years with no manual on the site but manuals are available for that model in the year before and the year after so I assume the missing year was produced as well.  Those are marked with a "Y" on the chart.

I included the 660 - 960 gear drive models and all the 99? hydro models.  When the long frame models came out in the late '70s they did continue to make gear drive tractors but I simply don't know any of the model numbers for them so I haven't searched for manuals yet.

I'm open to editing this if you can show me that any models were produced in other years (sales literature?) or if you can find the manual on the site.  Let me know.

Enjoy! :D

Attached File  MTD tractors.pdf   44.11KB   19 downloads

Attached Files

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 06:28 AM

I like what you are attempting here. I did the same for the older Jake tractors. Might be a help to those wondering just which tractor they have.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 09:01 AM

Thanks for the chart. That will come in handy for the next time a 990 or 960 comes up for sale. 

#4 swethead2 OFFLINE  

swethead2
  • Member No: 35714
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 09:16 PM

That helped me to narrow down year of my father in laws MTD not sure who it was built for tho yet due to someone repainting it and loss of serial and model nos.we know it's a B&S 12hp engine

#5 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 24, 2013 - 09:09 AM

You did a great job making that list. Very helpful finding years and hp when the tags are missing. Thanks Fluid 

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted March 05, 2016 - 05:39 PM

Looks like the link in the first post is not working!