#16 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 04:08 PM

I had a small South Bend for a time that I wish I still had , but at the time I thought that Sears' Atlas was made by SB around WWII, but I could be mistaken. They are nice machines. Have you done any research on who built them ?

#17 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 10:13 AM

Not made by Southbend, that I know of.

Atlas lathes were made by "The Atlas Press Company" beginning in 1932, originally in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Sometime around WWII, they also began co-production in England under the Atlas name, as well as using several house names (Sphere, Halifax, Acorntools).

In the US, they were rebranded as Craftsman (Sears) lathes, although a few Craftsman models are NOT Atlas' lathes, but were made by the AA Company.

Sometime in the 90's (?), Clausing bought the rights, inventory and parts of Atlas and they are the current "owner". They still maintain inventory for many parts, but at frightful prices!

If you are looking for more info on Atlas machines, go to www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/ . Great site with info and pictures of all the lathe models, as well as their shapers.  

• Cvans, boyscout862 and whst400 have said thanks

#18 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,528 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for the link I really enjoyed it.

BTW last Oct was my 50th anniversary since joining BSA. I took 29 years off for the Army but got back in with my son. Now he made Eagle and is in college but I still am a Merit Badge Counsellor for 7 badges. My last class for Wilderness Survival was Tuesday night. In April we'll have the overnight and then the 8 Tenderfeet will complete their badges.