#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 08:18 PM

My wife re-did the finish on our cabinets a couple of years ago. Basically they were old pine kitchen cabinets with a polyurethane finish on them. No big deal as they were nothing out of the ordinary. Anyway, she sanded the finish off the fronts, doors and drawers, then painted everything with a standard latex household paint. When she was done, she didn't like that the paint didn't have a shiny gloss. She experimented by applying two coats of polyurethane over the finish, sanding with fine steel wool between each coat, and boy what a difference it made. Cabinets turned out beautiful!

Well, this got me to thinking. I know this question goes against all garden tractor paint finish rules, but what would it hurt to apply polyurethane over our color finish instead of using a clear coat? Polyurethane is durable, gives a nice gloss finish, can be waxed if needed, and comes in easy to use spray cans. Has anybody ever tried it? I'm just curious to see how well it held up if someone did.

I'm thinking I might try it, at least on my fiberglass hoods. Don't know that I'm willing to give it wherl on the steel finishes, but since polyurethane is durable, it might be good for helping to strengthening the hoods.

Give me some of your thoughts. Hopefully this idea won't ruin my reputation! :smilewink:

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 15, 2013 - 08:20 PM.

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 08:32 PM

I don't think anything could ruin your reputation Troy :D

Good question. I have used it forever on wood but I can't remember if I ever tried it on anything else.

Hopefully someone has experimented with this. Cause you never know this could be a great idea.

In the mean time I will try to jump start my brain and try to remember lol :wallbanging: . Because I used to experiment with things a lot.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#3 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 08:39 PM

I don't think the polyurethane in a spray can would be much different than clear coat. I don't think the paint in spray cans dries as hard as the paint applied with a gun. Myself I would keep it simple unless you are planning on making it a show tractor, then go for the best.

Sounds like your wife put a lot of work into the cabinet in her kitchen, I'm glad they turned out to her satification.

Dick

#4 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 08:41 PM

Exactly Chris. We use it on our floors, and it holds up great for many years. Surely, if it can hold up to all of the wear and tear of being walked on, moved on, and spilled on, it would hold up to being applied to a tractor finish. I really want to try it out and see how it does, but I don't have the guts to go through with it until I hear good responses. The only thing I'm really wondering about, is how well it will hold up to sitting out in the direct sunlight at a tractor show?

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 08:49 PM

Exactly Chris. We use it on our floors, and it holds up great for many years. Surely, if it can hold up to all of the wear and tear of being walked on, moved on, and spilled on, it would hold up to being applied to a tractor finish. I really want to try it out and see how it does, but I don't have the guts to go through with it until I hear good responses. The only thing I'm really wondering about, is how well it will hold up to sitting out in the direct sunlight at a tractor show?

If I had a can around here I would test it out for you lol. What brand do you have? I know that Spar Urethane holds up well to the sun! I think it has a UV protectant in it to? I always  used and still use it on the boats and does a great job.

I am almost thinking that urethane has a tenancy to yellow when used on certain things? We'll see what others think.

#6 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 08:54 PM

What have you got to lose-GO FOR IT. If it doesn't look to your satification what have you lost, you can then take it off.

Dick

Edited by JRJ, January 16, 2013 - 09:08 AM.

#7 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 08:56 PM

I think the name brand is Minwax? It's made by the typical stain manufacturer's. I'm pretty sure it's Minwax. As for the yellowing, her cabinets never did, and that was applied over a latex paint. Not sure what it'll do on an enamel finish.

• chris m said thank you

#8 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 08:58 PM

What have you got to lose-GO FOR IT. If it doen't look to your satification what have you lost, you can then take it off.

Dick

You're right Dick. I have a couple of old hoods out there in the garage that I could practice on and see what happens. I wonder how hard it will be to strip if I don't like the results? If I try it this weekend, I'll post some pictures.

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 09:44 PM

I've used Minwax poly for years on wood & never had it yellow.  I will say that on wood trim on boats I used to have, it would need a new coat every few years, but that's on porous wood exposed to the elements, so it's to be expected.  

#10 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 09:56 PM

I've used Minwax poly for years on wood & never had it yellow.  I will say that on wood trim on boats I used to have, it would need a new coat every few years, but that's on porous wood exposed to the elements, so it's to be expected.  

Have you ever used it on fiberglass Daniel? When you use it on your boats, are we talking fresh water or salt water?

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,723 Thanks
  • 8,906 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 09:58 PM

If you want to give it a whirl. stay away from the Minwax it doesn't lay as smooth as some others in my experience. The best luck I have had is with Old Masters.

This one is rated for coated metal, and can be thinned to throw through a gun:

http://www.myoldmast...ar-urethane.htm

• Alc, johndeereelfman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#12 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 09:59 PM

Have you ever used it on fiberglass Daniel? When you use it on your boats, are we talking fresh water or salt water?

Can't say I've ever used it on anything but wood, but I have used spray can poly over old paint on metal to revive the shine & it worked great!  I'll see tomorrow if I still have the spray can.  It said on the can it didn't yellow, and I'm pretty sure it is poly.

#13 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 10:08 PM

From what I can find, only one Minwax is suitable for outdoor use:  

Minwax® Helmsman® Spar Urethane

I found my clear spray, but it's not poly like I thought...it's an acrylic:

acryliccrystalclear.png

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 05:44 AM

From what I can find, only one Minwax is suitable for outdoor use:  

Minwax® Helmsman® Spar Urethane

I found my clear spray, but it's not poly like I thought...it's an acrylic:

acryliccrystalclear.png

I was going to say to get the 'outdoor' grade. The sun wreaks havoc on the interior stuff.

#15 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 07:02 AM

Might be worth a try on something that wouldn't matter it didn't hold up well , I just wonder if it's because the only poly.used on wood projects I've used had a yellow tint to it , Al