• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted September 10, 2010 - 10:30 PM

We haven't used the "little red wagon" for a few years. With my little one @ 6 months old, She's about ready to go for a ride. Decided I'd replace the floor & inflate the tires. The latter was 3X's harder than it should've been. 4" tubeless tires can be a &^7@# when they wanna be.

Cleaned everything, tried to blow them up. Used every trick my father taught me (belt around, open valve stem direct to air, etc) could only get 1 to catch both sides of the rim.

I finally tried something I saw on Youtube, where they use either & a lighter to "pop" the tire. It worked VERY well. You do have to be ready with the air as when the vapor cools, it'll pull the tire back off the rim. Actually only had enough either for 2 of the 3, but I had an almost out of paint rattle can & i used it (upside down) for the last one... I think it worked better and the tire wasn't as warm when I was done.

I was a little hesitant on the 1st one, it appears to sound more dangerous than it is. I still took precautions (face shield, welding outfit, fire extinguisher) but no hint of a hazard. Will still treat this like the potential "Murphy's Law" story that it could be, but when they get stubborn in the future, My tires will get a little starting fluid again.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted September 11, 2010 - 07:06 AM

Sounds like a good idea to try.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,611 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted September 11, 2010 - 08:34 AM

Had to use starting fluid many times on tires from wheel barrow all the way to big truck tires. I HATE doing it each & every time, but it works.