• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 06:51 PM

Anyone have an opinion on how Grizzly Tool's drill presses are vs. say Craftsman, Jet, Big Bull, etc.?  I'm not looking for machine shop production quality, just a floor 15" to 17" swing with geared lift table. (They sure put out one slick catalog!:D)

#2 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 14, 2013 - 06:55 PM

I have a harbor freight/ cummins tool  chineese bench top drill press. It drills straight as far as I can tell, but the belt slips bad even at the lowest speed.

• Alc said thank you

#3 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,711 Thanks
  • 8,897 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 07:13 PM

My sister has an older Grizzly drill press for her cabinet business. Very well made, rock solid bench-top model.

• Alc said thank you

#4 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 07:16 PM

Apples to apples, IMO they're all about the same pricewise.I'd do same sashaying around and take a looksee at the ones you can to compare them. It's like everything else, depends on what you want to pay. I have an old Homier I bought used about 8 yrs ago.It's old enough the tag says "made in Taiwan",LOL!!. It's done everything I've asked of it, drumsanding, drilling up to 5/8" holes in metal, using hole saws in metal(it gets alittle short of power thru the V-belts w/ large hole saws). It has three 6 step pullys to give a wide variety of speeds which really helps get that "deep under" for metal drilling and hole saws. I think that is the most important feature in having a lot of speeds. The inability to get a lot of power thru the belts probably takes a lot of strain off the table. One thing I did on my chuck key was buying some very light chain, spread one end link so the key handle will fit thru and tacking a small nut on the end of the key handle to retain the chain, then bolt the other end to the drive housing. No more wondering where the key is!!

HTH,

Mike   

• Alc and bowtiebutler956 have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 07:34 PM

Most of the stuff out there is made in China these days but the quality is somewhat variable to say the least. I would think the Grizzly would be at least as good as the Craftsman and probably better priced. I'd look around locally so you can actually examine some up close and check for smooth operation, ease of changing belts and vibration levels when running for instance. You can also extend the quill down and see how much play there is in it. I have a 161/2" King drill press that is typical made in China stuff. It works well enough but is not as sturdy or accurate as the older made in USA Rockwell or Delta presses that you still see in use in many shops. 

• Alc said thank you

#6 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 08:17 PM

I have a small bench top drill press from HF, $49 on sale. The 1/3 hp motor was really weak, so I did a little mod to fit a 1/2 hp motor on it and WOW, what a difference. I can now run a 1/2" bit through 1" steel plate. The only problem now is spindle trave is a little on the short side.

Geno

• Alc said thank you

#7 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 08:41 PM

Like my tractors, I like to pick up old quality tools and fix them up. I have a fifty year old Craftsman 15" floor model. It was $40 on CL about 8 years ago. It was lightly rusted and needed a new power cord. Most of my tools were purchased used. It saves alot of money and I prefer old American iron. Restoring a tool is a quick and inexpensive project. Close to instant gratification. Shop around, the money you save can go towards more tractors. 

• Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 JD DANNELS ONLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 09:19 PM

At one time, and i am not sure if it is true no or not? All import drill presses were made in 3 or 4 factories.
That said I have found there are a lot of differences in how the depth control is set up. So look them over and see if the depth stop is something you can deal with. I have had a 12 speed for 25 yrs and like it. I did have a casting break where it went around the post..
I founnd a Global at Lowes for $59 on clearance. I bought it and fixed my 12 speed. The depth stop on that stupid thing required an allen wrench to set?? My dad had loaned his drillpress to my nephew. So I sent the Global home with Dad. He likes it but rarely uses a depth stop. So I would not worry much about brand on a drill press, but look closely at its functions and make sure you can live with them.
Look at depth control, throat and speed changes if any of these are not easy and quick enough to suit you, you will not enjoy working with them. Note if you never change the speeds your not using the drill bits efficiently and shortening their life.

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 14, 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 09:26 PM

Brian mentions the old Rockwell & Delta drill presses. I so covet an antique Delta Radial Drill Press!!

#10 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 06:06 PM

As I am "transportationally challanged":D, used and chasing around to a lot of dealers is mostly off the table.  I do have to go to Home Despot for some sliding door hdwr so I'll ease on into the tool dept. and see what they have as a comparison.  I cleaned out the shop for the tool (well, just enough room).  Northern Tool sells some that also seem in the ball park AND shipping on some is included...  Still can't feel and wiggle 'em... that's just the way it is around here.:D

#11 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 07:34 AM

Here is the kind of thing that I would look at http://newlondon.cra...3560433868.html . You can probably get some tools with it too.

3G73Ic3Fc5K15Fc5Mad1ke7f967bb09791341.jp

#12 HydroHarold ONLINE  

HydroHarold
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:53 PM

I think that since I can I will go "new" and it's narrowing down to the Grizz 14"  Can't see the cost/need for a 20".  Their website http://www.grizzly.com/ gives total and specific specs' on each machine http://cdn0.grizzly....ts/g7944_ds.pdf and they're beating the competition so far on what I'm looking for.  Right now I'm "making room" in the shop and it's slow going.:D

#13 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 07:58 AM

Good Luck. You'll need a good set of bits, a vise, a bit sharpener, and I find an assortment of wood blocks handy.

#14 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 22, 2013 - 08:00 AM

just remember, some times you get what you pay for. Dont get suckered in by the" purvayers of fine equipment" BS.

I am the worlds tallest midget too!

• JDBrian said thank you

#15 HydroHarold ONLINE  

HydroHarold
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 04:30 PM

Good Luck. You'll need a good set of bits, a vise, a bit sharpener, and I find an assortment of wood blocks handy.

Bits, check.

Drill Dr., check.

Wood blocks, steel blocks, aluminum blocks, check!:D

just remember, some times you get what you pay for. Dont get suckered in by the" purvayers of fine equipment" BS.

I am the worlds tallest midget too!

Yeah, I'm looking at sorting the fly $hi! out of the pepper between all Chinese products.  One has this good and that bad and the other one has something else... There's just no way without having them all lined up side by side to get an accurate read.  I'm going to have to trust to the "best I can do with what I got" and "easiest return" just in case, being's that I'm the worlds shortest giant.:D