• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 03:04 PM

I am not sure what you mean. Post # 44 makes reference to the key switch not the Solenoid type. 

For a solenoid I like the ones for the old Fords with the metal mounting tabs. They seem to be heavier than the garden tractor ones they sell today. Something out of the 70s should do it."

I've never heard of Trombetta but I'll bet without looking its similar to the light duty ones I'm describing above that I don't like..

#62 bear15 OFFLINE  

bear15
  • Member No: 25306
  • 3 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 04:40 PM

Ok, but how do you find something like that without a part number??? I been searching, but all I found is one with the following description that does not have any spec. information at all......VINTAGE STYLE STARTER SOLENOID FORD DODGE AMC TRACTORS FORDSON VINTAGE STYLE STARTER SOLENOID FORD DODGE AMC TRACTORS FORDSON.

"For a solenoid I like the ones for the old Fords with the metal mounting tabs. They seem to be heavier than the garden tractor ones they sell today. Something out of the 70s should do it."

#63 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 05:01 PM

Re-read post 44. BWD S63P at Advance for 15.00.

http://www.napaonlin...306547410#Full0

You can use any 12volt solenoid. the one in the link is a 4 post. you could even use a 3 post. You can also get them just about anywhere. Napa, Tractor supply, and even Walmart  has them at our location.

There are smaller universals ones  also, more of a square design that are used on lawn and garden equipment.

Ther are 2 numbers that have already been suggested or do a search for a 1976 Ford F150 with a 300 eng.

#64 bear15 OFFLINE  

bear15
  • 3 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 06:04 PM

Doug, please check the reviews on "BWD S63P at Advance for 15.00." 6 of the 8 that reviewed it only gave it a one star where five stars is the best. Here is one of the REVIEWS: Had read other low-rated reviews of this solenoid but was desperate to try to get our tractor fixed, so bought it anyway, rather than wait for a name-brand to be delivered (no others were in stock). The solenoid failed on the THIRD turn of the key, and failed LOCKED ON, so that the starter was still engaged, even though the engine was running. Turned off the key but the engine continued to run - because the coil was still energized thru the locked-on solenoid - so our newly-rebuilt ($90+) starter was still screaming. Jumped down, pulled the coil wire to stop the ignition but starter still was turning the engine over until I grabbed a wrench and disconnected the battery cable. A hectic 30 seconds. Will be very very wary of BWD parts in the future.

#65 bear15 OFFLINE  

bear15
  • 3 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 06:12 PM

Sorry, I am just trying to move on so I can finish this project . . . Has anyone used the OEM Trombetta Solenoid? I can not find any reviews on this one. Thanks for any help. ----OEM Trombetta, Solenoid,12V, 3 term, Intermittent for Snowmobile & Lawn & Garden (part # 852-1251-210, Toro 111674) for $20.00.

#66 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 08:21 PM

As long as you can get your cable ends on the posts, buy it and try it.

#67 bear15 OFFLINE  

bear15
  • 3 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 07:15 PM

Just as an update, all seems to be working fine now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: k181