• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,679 Thanks
  • 4,844 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 01:03 PM

Do you think it will work if we connect S to STARTER

NO!!!! You have to have a solenoid. The switch WILL NOT carry the amperage needed for the starter!

#47 bear15 OFFLINE  

bear15
  • Member No: 25306
  • 3 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 06:01 PM

Doug, Thanks for ALL your help. I really do appreciate it. Figure 8-16 appears to be the same as our system MINUS the SOLENOID plus it is a 20 amp system not a 15 amp as in the figure. I do not think we have a solenoid. Is this possible? As a reminder, it has a plate with a push button that is connected to the 12v battery and the starter for starting the engine. On the same plate, we have the toggle on/off switch (no key) that has the 4 terminals on the back as described. We 12v connected to the toggle on/off switch with the 4 terminals (bottom 2 terminals are jumped together). So I think the big question is, will it work without a SOLENOID or maybe is the big push button switch also a SOLENOID????

#48 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,103 Thanks
  • 44,122 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 06:02 AM

If you want to take the push button start out, you will have to install a solenoid to take it's place. Then the S wire will go to the small connection on the solenoid. You can use the A terminal for the lights, just install an on/off switch between A and the lights.

#49 bear15 OFFLINE  

bear15
  • 3 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 03:05 PM

Thank you very much. Do you happen to know a part # that we can use that will work with our system.

#50 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,318 Thanks
  • 4,048 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 03:27 PM

http://www.napaonlin...306547410#Full0

You can use any 12volt solenoid. the one in the link is a 4 post. you could even use a 3 post. You can also get them just about anywhere. Napa, Tractor supply, and even Walmart  has them at our location.

There are smaller universals ones  also, more of a square design that are used on lawn and garden equipment.

#51 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,863 Thanks
  • 2,430 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 05:12 PM

You can use any 12volt solenoid.

Careful, there!

There are two types of 3-post starter solenoids - grounded and un-grounded.  .....Either style can be used if wired correctly, but you must know which style you purchase and how to wire it correctly.  

.....Info about 3-post solenoids can be found here: http://gardentractor...identification/

There are also two types of 4-post solenoids.   .....Either style can be used if wired correctly, but you must know which style you purchase and how to wire it correctly.

• chris m said thank you

#52 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,318 Thanks
  • 4,048 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 06:16 PM

Careful, there!

There are two types of 3-post starter solenoids - grounded and un-grounded.  .....Either style can be used if wired correctly, but you must know which style you purchase and how to wire it correctly.  

.....Info about 3-post solenoids can be found here: http://gardentractor...identification/

There are also two types of 4-post solenoids.   .....Either style can be used if wired correctly, but you must know which style you purchase and how to wire it correctly.

Thanks Bruce :thumbs: I should have put "just about any" The one I would recommend for this would be the ones that are grounded through the mounting plate. (standard). like the Universal one in the link (Ford style)

#53 bear15 OFFLINE  

bear15
  • 3 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 08:27 PM

So if I purchased the 3 post, grounded (Bolens Part # 1717048), the positive post on the Solenoid should be connected to the positive post on the battery, the other large post on the Solenoid should be connected to the starter, the small post on the Solenoid should be connected to the S prong on the key switch. Does this seem correct?
  • WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#54 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,731 Thanks
  • 5,423 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 08:46 PM

So if I purchased the 3 post, grounded (Bolens Part # 1717048), the positive post on the Solenoid should be connected to the positive post on the battery, the other large post on the Solenoid should be connected to the starter, the small post on the Solenoid should be connected to the S prong on the key switch. Does this seem correct?

Yes!!  Now if there are any Safety Interlocks like PTO or Neutral or Brake switch they should be wired into the Start circuit to protect you and others..

#55 bear15 OFFLINE  

bear15
  • 3 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 10:04 PM

Then if I connect the key switch as follows with the Solenoid, I should be good to go????? S to SOLENOID, B to 12 V BATTERY, I to POSTIVE SIDE OF COIL, R to REGULATOR/RECTIFIER, A to LIGHTS (with a toggle on/off switch added)

#56 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,103 Thanks
  • 44,122 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 09:36 AM

Then if I connect the key switch as follows with the Solenoid, I should be good to go????? S to SOLENOID, B to 12 V BATTERY, I to POSTIVE SIDE OF COIL, R to REGULATOR/RECTIFIER, A to LIGHTS (with a toggle on/off switch added)

That sounds good to me!

#57 bear15 OFFLINE  

bear15
  • 3 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 10:38 AM

Now I found a new OEM Trombetta, Solenoid,12V, 3 term, Intermittent for Snowmobile & Lawn & Garden (part # 852-1251-210, Toro 111674) for $20.00. Does this seem like a good brand for Solenoids to you???

#58 bear15 OFFLINE  

bear15
  • 3 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 02:41 PM

Kenny, Now I found a new OEM Trombetta, Solenoid,12V, 3 term, Intermittent for Snowmobile & Lawn & Garden (part # 852-1251-210, Toro 111674) for $20.00. Does this seem like a good brand for Solenoids to you???

#59 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,679 Thanks
  • 4,844 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 02:42 PM

Re-read post 44. BWD S63P at Advance for 15.00.

#60 bear15 OFFLINE  

bear15
  • 3 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 02:56 PM

I am not sure what you mean. Post # 44 makes reference to the key switch not the Solenoid type. All I am checking in on is if Trombetta is a good brand for solenoids as in the above post. Sorry for any confusion. (Trombetta Solenoid,12V, 3 term, Intermittent for Snowmobile & Lawn & Garden, part # 852-1251-210, Toro 111674, for $20.00. Does this seem like a good brand for Solenoids to you???). Thanks for any help. POST # 44, "I don't think the one with the I has a G if I remember right. There isn't anything that needs grounded on that style switch. For a solenoid I like the ones for the old Fords with the metal mounting tabs. They seem to be heavier than the garden tractor ones they sell today. Something out of the 70s should do it."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: k181