66 replies to this topic

#1 bear15 OFFLINE  

bear15
  • Member No: 25306
  • 3 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 04:06 PM

k181 Kohler, NO Spark-- help please

Hello, just acquired a nearly new Kohler K181 engine with electric start that I plan on using in my tractor. Battery magneto. Model: k181 S SPEC.NO 30452 S/N 2203407122 First question, I been trying to start it out of the tractor. Does the engine need to be grounded somehow? The engine base is grounded to the negative post of the batt. so I can use the electric start which works fine. When I got it home and started checking it out it had no spark, installed new points and condenser no spark, pulled flywheel and visually checked and cleaned coil and stator, no spark, etc. see below for all I have tried. Any help on where to go from here would greatly appreciated. Ed No Spark Trouble shooting -Continuity: spark plug wire, leads to stator, on/off switch, coil -switch: by passed -regulator: replaced with new one -spark plug: replaced with new one -condenser: replaced with new one -flywheel: pulled and cleaned the magnets, etc., looks excellent -points: set to .20 and cleaned, but new looking (Disconnect the wire from the coil to the points and check it for continuity to ground. There should only be a connection when the points are closed and none when they are open, this check out). -coil: checked the continuity, not cracked, no damaged wires going to it, wires connected on the correct posts. -checked that the Points Are Connected To The Condenser

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,468 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 04:11 PM

bear15, First off, Welcome to GTtalk. I hope you didn't wait too long to get your first post approved.

I can't think of anything off the top of my head to help you, but there are several guys who will be along shortly to help you out.

Again WELCOME!! :wave:

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,468 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 04:12 PM

Do you see any spark jumping across the points when you spin it over?

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,280 Thanks
  • 4,034 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 04:17 PM

Welcome to GTtalk bear15! glad you decided to join! now lets see if we can narrow this down for you.

Being this is a magneto engine you wouldn't need to ground the engine for spark.

The thing I noticed is you said you bypassed the on/off switch. Well if this is a magneto engine then the on/off switch is to ground the points out so the engine shuts off. So if you bypassed the switch it would be in the off position right now. If this is the case then disconnect the switch completely and try checking spark again. 

Good luck :thumbs:

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#5 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 4,844 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 04:32 PM

I think you nailed it Chris! :rocker2:

#6 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,280 Thanks
  • 4,034 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 04:36 PM

I think you nailed it Chris! :rocker2:

I hope it is that simple. I can't think of anything else from all his descriptions.

#7 bear15 OFFLINE  

bear15
  • 3 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 04:56 PM

Thank you for the welcome!!

Just to clarify, it is a Battery magneto with the 15amp stator.

Thank you for the suggestion regarding the switch, but I did try it both ways and I did not get any spark from either the spark plug or the points.

-Make Sure Everything Is Grounded?? ( I been trying to start it out of the tractor. Does the engine need to be grounded somehow? The engine base is grounded to the negative post of the batt. so I can use the electric start which works fine.

-Can I test the stator somehow?

Welcome to GTtalk bear15! glad you decided to join! now lets see if we can narrow this down for you.

Being this is a magneto engine you wouldn't need to ground the engine for spark.

The thing I noticed is you said you bypassed the on/off switch. Well if this is a magneto engine then the on/off switch is to ground the points out so the engine shuts off. So if you bypassed the switch it would be in the off position right now. If this is the case then disconnect the switch completely and try checking spark again. 

Good luck :thumbs:

#8 bear15 OFFLINE  

bear15
  • 3 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 04:57 PM

Do you see any spark jumping across the points when you spin it over?

No, we have no spark at the points or the plug.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#9 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,280 Thanks
  • 4,034 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 05:09 PM

I am trying to figure what system you have. So does this have the coil under the flywheel? or is there a separate coil mounted to the side of the engine?

#10 bear15 OFFLINE  

bear15
  • 3 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 05:19 PM

I am trying to figure what system you have. So does this have the coil under the flywheel? or is there a separate coil mounted to the side of the engine?

There is a separate coil mounted on the outside of the engine. 

Btw, it is Battery Ignition-- I am not sure if this make a difference.

Battery Ignition. 
Model: k181 S 
SPEC.NO 30452 
S/N 2203407122

#11 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,280 Thanks
  • 4,034 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 05:24 PM

makes a big difference! No magneto then. You need to have a wire hooked to the battery positive terminal with a switch in line on that wire. Then the other end will go to the + post on the coil. The - post of the coil will have the wire for the points and the condenser hooked to it.

You already have the battery - hooked to the base of the engine form the battery so no other ground is needed.

When you go to crank the starter over to start it turn the switch to the coil on.(otherwise you will have no spark. to shut engine off just turn the coil switch off.

good luck :thumbs:

#12 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,468 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 05:25 PM

There is a separate coil mounted on the outside of the engine. 

Btw, it is Battery Ignition-- I am not sure if this make a difference.

Battery Ignition. 
Model: k181 S 
SPEC.NO 30452 
S/N 2203407122

Do you have 12 vts at the coil when you turn the key on?

If not, try putting a jumper from the battery to the coil and see what you have.

#13 bear15 OFFLINE  

bear15
  • 3 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 06:06 PM

So, we may be missing a wire that goes from the positive terminal on the battery to the off/on switch?? The back of our off/on switch has 4 mini terminals. The bottom 2 terminals are jumped together. 1 of the top terminals connects to the positive side of the coil. The other top terminal connects to the regulator (this is also where the 2 wires from the stator connect to the electrical system).

Does this seem correct to you?

The big question is, which terminal on the off/on switch do we connect to the positive terminal on the battery? 

wrote before:
You need to have a wire hooked to the battery positive terminal with a switch in line on that wire. Then the other end will go to the + post on the coil. The - post of the coil will have the wire for the points and the condenser hooked to it.

You already have the battery - hooked to the base of the engine form the battery so no other ground is needed.

When you go to crank the starter over to start it turn the switch to the coil on.(otherwise you will have no spark. to shut engine off just turn the coil switch off.

#14 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,280 Thanks
  • 4,034 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 06:13 PM

hmmm. this is a bit confusing not being able to see pictures of what you have.

So you have this new engine out of the tractor? Are you using the tractors ignition key switch?

And if you are using the switch were is it getting 12 volts from to crank the starter?

If there is a wire going to the positive of the coil from your switch, do you have 12volts there when the switch is turned on?

#15 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,280 Thanks
  • 4,034 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 06:32 PM

here is the Kohler manual on our site. page 73 has the wiring diagram for the 15 amp http://gardentractor...service-manual/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: k181