#31 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 08:46 PM

The only issue I had with a single arm was the lateral movement of arm. If you look back you can see how I took care of that.

The bucket itself does not twist too much, granted I did not build the bucket itself, just modified it some to work with my mount. The wide double mount of the bucket arm actually works well for even lifting and dozing.

Lifting, not had an issue with twisting of the bucket. The issue I have with we will say twist, is one side of the tractor coming off the grounnd. The 2000# winch can lift more than the rear ballast of the tractor. I've learned.....I DO NOT get of tractor with load in the bucket unless its on ground first or loaded bucket is supported, like on back of trailer. I really need a weight box on the back.

If you are using the curved propane tank for the bucket, I would consider the clamshell style bucket vs a trip like mine.

Does anyone have any experience using Wel-Bilt linear actuators for this

type of application?

http://www.northernt...inear+actuators

Tankman, sorry I never responded. I have seen people use the actuators for simliar buckets, do a search for Johnny buckets, they use actuators on their buckets/lifts. I got my winch for $49 and it can out lift an acutator by 5-6X for much cheaper plus I can uise it for other things when plow/bucket is removed. I have thought about adding and acutator on the side of bukcet to actually make it be able to have downforce for digging, but I have plans for a mini FEL for my Massey.

• larryd said thank you

#32 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • Member No: 17146
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 10:03 AM

Thanks Marty.  I appreciate the input.

Jeff

• larryd said thank you

#33 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 08:12 PM

It looks like you have just to much time on your hands, both at work and at home. But as I said earlier you do do a fantasic job with your projects.

Dick

• larryd said thank you

#34 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 09:09 PM

Very nice fabrication/construction, coupled with good photos. Great build, I too may borrow a thing or two from you.

• larryd said thank you

#35 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 12:35 PM

It looks like you have just to much time on your hands, both at work and at home. But as I said earlier you do do a fantasic job with your projects.

Dick

Oh, I got a lot of time on my hands, but it's all used up doing chores, momma do stuff, working for other people. I was lucky when I built mont, I was off for 13 days over Christmas 2011 and it was fairly warm so spent most fo that time building winch/blade mounts. Now I have absolutely no time to get a couple running let alone build anything new.

I bought the dump bucket from a couple local guys and modded it to fit my needs, but it works.

Thanks for comments.

I really wished I would've made winch mount higher and maybe used receiver tube at bottom with a pin so I could easy remove it without pulling mule drive mount.....oh well.

• larryd and Watchdog have said thanks

#36 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 08:07 PM

Oh, I got a lot of time on my hands, but it's all used up doing chores, momma do stuff, working for other people. I was lucky when I built mont, I was off for 13 days over Christmas 2011 and it was fairly warm so spent most fo that time building winch/blade mounts. Now I have absolutely no time to get a couple running let alone build anything new.

I bought the dump bucket from a couple local guys and modded it to fit my needs, but it works.

Thanks for comments.

I really wished I would've made winch mount higher and maybe used receiver tube at bottom with a pin so I could easy remove it without pulling mule drive mount.....oh well.

Thanks for the insight Marty.  I'm just getting started and bits of info like this are very helpful.

Jeff

• larryd said thank you

#37 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted March 03, 2013 - 07:30 AM

TAHOE , does the weight of everything create enough down pressure?

larryd

#38 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 03, 2013 - 12:56 PM

TAHOE , does the weight of everything create enough down pressure?

larryd

Not really, I can drop in on the ground and it will dig if say I'm lower than the ground I'm in, but normally it will just scrape the top. The worst part of just having a dump bucket is that you cannot turn the bucket down to create digging angle. Considered adding actuator, but as I stated before, does what I need and will build FEL later. I have considered added old rotors or some workout lifting weights for down force but would be futile not being able to angle bucket down. 

I can though use as scraper some...raise and dump bucket, then lower it back down while in dump position and then basically push the "dumped" bucket along using front edge as scraper. Put alot of stress on the two pivot/mount bolts holding bucket to arms though, the are only 2- 3/8 bolts.

Edited by TAHOE, March 03, 2013 - 12:57 PM.

• larryd said thank you

#39 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 05:32 AM

Hey Marty:

I'm just about to mount my winch and was wondering about your comments regarding mounting it higher.  I am curious where would you have put it and why?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Jeff

#40 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 09:43 AM

I think I would have 2 main reasons for mounting higher

1. Where it is mounted now, I can actually hit the winch with the lift arm of the attachment.

2. I could have eliminated the arm and upper pulley and just did a direct pull from arm, but then the arm hanging out some give a direct up and down pull on the arm not an angle so ....what's the better trade off?

Looking back, if I re-designed it, I would use a longer piece of 2 1/2" hitch receiver tube for bottom mount, then slide my 2" upright mount tube inside it and just pinned it making it removeable. That would allow me to retain the bolted in mule mount and just remove the winch assembly. It's real pain to remove the way I have it now. I think I would've mounted winch up higher, probably still kept the upper arm with the pulley both for straight upward pull on arm and if I was to use winch for lifting stuff without a bucket/blde, it keeps item out away from nose, but then that also adss extra force higher up requiring more rear weight.

I am able to though, as it is now, to open hood without a problem. I also recommend some type of extra support in the middle going to rear somewhere. I noticed a small bend in the bottom of my mount, I bet it would be really bad if I didn't have the exta tube going to back helping as a push point.

I would also recommend adding a limit switch on the blade arm in your "up" circuit of your winch. You can use a switch that breaks the ground shutting down winch.  I have broken the cable at least twice lifting bucket/blade while say backing up, my mind was thinking of backing up and I never left off switch and snapped cable.

• Watchdog said thank you

#41 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for the input Marty.  I can visualize the problems you're describing. 

With respect to where you have the winch located, I kind of like it there.  My biggest concern with the whole winch lift is if that cable breaks under load. I've seen them break hauling ATVs out of the mud and it's like a bull whip out of control.  Luckily nobody got hurt.  Where yours is mounted if that cable breaks there is only a short length from the lift point on your bucket to the boom pulley that can flail around, which is not long enough to come back and hit the driver.

Thanks again.

Jeff

• TAHOE said thank you

#42 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 03:20 PM

Yea, good point. I had never thought of the cable flopping if it broke. The 2 times mine broek were when it was up and hook was close to pulley, the bucket hit the ground pretty hard both times though :watch_over_fence:

Sidebar: Alot of people get hurt by whipping cables, if they learned how to properly use winches, they would know to place weighted objects on cables when using, that would eliminate alot of it. I pulled some fence post out using my old K5 blazer, chain slipped off....good thing back window was down or I would have blown in out. I've learned since then.

I also wanted mine to have as high of lift as I could get, I needed it to be able to lift just up above the back of my trailer to I could set my 55 gal full drums of rabbit poop on them to haul away, thus the reason for a longer blade/bucket arm and the higher lift point.

Much higher though than I have it and I would be getting into bufort bucket or FEL territory.

• Watchdog said thank you

#43 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 07:41 PM

I've seen weight bags to place on your winch cable as you suggest.  Not many people want to carry the extra weight in on an ATV, I'm guessing, but worth having for sure.  The one that really let go had a poorly maintained cable and had been "repaired" before.

As for height, I don't have a set height I need to achieve but I would like to be able to make a pile of something without using ramps and I think it would have some advantage on uneven terrain.  Specifically, I have a shallow, but wide drainage ditch on my property.  On one side of the ditch is about two yards of cedar chips for the misses' gardens, if I couldn't get the bucket high enough, going into or out of the ditch would be a problem.

It's great being able to share ideas like this.  Thanks Marty.

Jeff