coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 08:26 AM

Half way to work this morning, sweetie pie calls and says her car wont start. I turn around and head to the house trying to remember where my jumper cables are. Get home and it aint the battery. Truck turns over fine but wont crank. Its a 2005 Ford explorer, I cant work on these new cars. Gotta have it towed in to the mechanics. Wouldnt it be nice if we went back to simpler engines.

Oh well, maybe I will have some time today to look at the D200.

• JRJ said thank you

#2 wawcub47 OFFLINE  

wawcub47

• Member No: 852
  • 68 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 08:55 AM

thats why i like the old stuff! Hope its something simple,Good luck!

#3 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 09:04 AM

These new vehicle are made not for us to work on. My wife has a 2000 Mustang and we found out that the fuel pump is bad, anyone want to take a guess what it cost for a new one installed.

Guess again, how about $730.00. 

Dick

Edited by JRJ, January 14, 2013 - 10:24 AM.

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 09:11 AM

I agree with you guys but the reality is we have to learn the new stuff. Much of it isn't that different except the computors. I bought one of those scanners at NAPA on sale for $50 and it solves most of the complicated diagnosing. Then its the same old; take out the bad part, inspect it, fix it if possible or put in a new part. The areas are alot more cramped and I have to use a manual but its not that bad compared to the extra cost. Last year I did a tune up on my Savanna myself with NAPA parts and saved over $700. I repaced the catalytic converter and saved $600. Both were difficult and took a long time but I'm unemployed/retired so saving the money was important. Many of the same things still kill cars today, especially water in the gas. Good Luck

• Delmar and HDWildBill have said thanks

#5 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 09:43 AM

Well it just got picked up. Yes the repairs can be expensive and the parts are very high but this one is paid for. I havent had a car payment in 5 years. So what I am paying in repairs is nowhere near what I would have spent on car payments. We will replace the cars but it will be s few years. We have a few more things that need our attention instead.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#6 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 10:03 AM

Coldone, sorry to hear about your car woes.  I was pretty put out about a month ago when the driveshaft fell out of my Ford truck.  25 miles form home and the repair shop telling me 3 day wait for parts and $1200 for the repair.  I relaxed a bit once I'd had it towed to my own driveway.  I hope you can get the issue fixed soon.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 11:25 AM

I hope that wasn't a serious issue. I think the high cost of repairs is a major reason why a lot of people turn their cars over every 3-4yrs. That gets expensive and is almost always more costly than keeping an older one and repairing it. A friend in the car business has this saying "You drive,You pay" meaning that new or old car, payment or repairs there is no free ride.

• Alc said thank you

#8 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 11:44 AM

I hope that wasn't a serious issue. I think the high cost of repairs is a major reason why a lot of people turn their cars over every 3-4yrs. That gets expensive and is almost always more costly than keeping an older one and repairing it. A friend in the car business has this saying "You drive,You pay" meaning that new or old car, payment or repairs there is no free ride.

The same should apply to lawn tractors!!  Trouble is-  I don't lend them out!! :mad2:

The newer cars are intimidating with all of the electrical gadgetry but it's still the same things needed to make 'em run!!  Gas, spark & compression!  Next time when a car dies, a common problem is the in-tank electric fuel pump..  Listen @ the tank after turning on the key on.. You should hear the pump running..  If not running, try this tested and true backwoods mechanic method..  Sometimes when the pump is on it's way out it just 'gets stuck'..  Lay under the car and give the bottom of the tank a hearty whack with a gloved hand.. (Beware using anything that will puncture the tank!!)  If you hear the pump go, start it and drive it directly wherever you will be able to replace the pump unless you really want to try your luck again later..  If not,  call the tow truck..

OBD code readers are getting pretty reasonable to buy and you will have lots of friends if you do purchase one!! :worshippy1:   They are just about essential to fix a car anymore so if you are serious about saving $$$ @ the shop I'd consider buying one..  Just a few hours of $120 per hr will pay for the thing!  Just some food for thought.. :thumbs:

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, January 14, 2013 - 11:46 AM.

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 12:15 PM

I think the high cost of repairs is a major reason why a lot of people turn their cars over every 3-4yrs.

Our friends where thinking the same thing , had a good 2007 VW Passet 70k on it but was due for timing belt/water pump job some point soon , rather then spending $1,200 repair bill on just that they  are leasing a new one for the first time in their lives , 3 yr lease with all maintenance free ,  and this is from a guy who's putting a VR6 into an old  4 cyl. Golf coupe ! 

#10 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 03:49 PM

I had beaters for a while. My 00 Expedition had 178K when it went. I took it to the local mechanic when it started to misfire. Sat at the mechanic for over a month, they had ZERO clue what was wrong with it. Took it across town to the other mechanic and back in two days. I ended up buying a code reader and honestly for the $40-50 it cost me, it saves me from guessing. I've used that so many times and helped a ton of people with it, it pays for itself! 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 05:17 PM

It's hard to fix some things without specific knowledge and tools, a Subaru boxer head gasket for instance. I find I can save a considerable amount of money by just doing my own oil changes (Amsoil signature). The dealer was charging 90$ +tax to put Mobile 1 in the car and left the filter loose once and the drain plug gasket off the next time, causing oil leaks both times, so I just started using the extended drain Amsoil and doing it myself. The new Subaru engines have the oil filter top mounted (up front at the top) which makes it even easier to do an oil change yourself. This is a major selling point for me and I am looking to replace my 2006 Forester in the next year or so. All the latest engines are even more complicated then in 2006 and now many cars have electric power steering and other complicated systems designed to make the car easier on fuel. It's amazing that reliability is as good as it is considering the complexity. In general new cars seem to be more reliable then the ones in the good old days. You drive You pay and pay and......!

#12 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 09:20 PM

It turned out not be the trucks fault. We were able to pick it up this evening. The shop owner came out witha a bottle of black stuff he found in the fuel lines and tank. He said it was the fourth one this week to come in his shop. He said it was a combination of water , sludge, and gas. He is guessing that it was a contaminated tanker because none of the others had used the same gas station. The total including the tow was less than $175. He said he even dropped the tank and cleaned it out too. 

I dont think I could have done all of that in a day.

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 09:29 PM

Glad to hear your wife's ride is back on the road . Though $175 is nothing to sneeze at , better then some repairs , Al