#31 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 04:20 PM

Messed with tractor some to see about lean run issue.  I changed the lines and filter and can't hardly see any gas in it at all when running. Must be moving thru, but can't see.  I had running with choke off, moving gradually in till it stays running. Will do that for a short time, then starts stumbling. If I try to accelerate any with throttle it will just die out. Choke and starts right up again. Pulled top ai cleaner cover off and removed from carb. It has a two barrel carb, new to me, and the adjust screws were found and have plastic caps as manual says,but the stops tabs were broken off. I ran them in and out to try setting, but not much change really. I think they are kinda limited on what they actually do with new emissions issues I guess. Can't seem to find an idle screw, unless that is what these were???  Also the idle speed has a screw that is not touching the stop on linkage. I can hold it over to it and it idles down like I think it should, but won't stay. I tried moving the throttle cable in the clamp and can't get any more play to allow the stop to come back to screw. Wondering if a link rod is bent?  Will have to explore that idea. I'm kinda thinking the pulse fuel pump isn't working at it's designed capacity and may be the problem. Will have to get it loose and crank and see how it flows.  Had to quit working on it for now, but will try more at later date.

#32 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 08:45 PM

Sounds like it either has a bit of water in the float bowl or the jets are partly clogged.I would take the Carb off and give it a very good cleaning.

Those 2 adjustment screws on the top are the Idle Mixture screws.One for each cylinder.There are no adjustable mains.

There are 2 Main jets located in the bottom part of the carb with the float.

The Governor may need to be reset if the carb isn't closing the whole way.

Here's the Parts manual for your Engine.

http://bsintek.basco...fqyAVJ1DajI.pdf

And Here is the Owners manual for the Engine.It has Valve adjustment specs and some other stuff.

http://bsintek.basco...7tH217FzoPu.pdf

Found this NOS carb on Ebay. $172 Parts tree wants $250.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item337540d177

I think a good cleaning and Maybe a new fuel pump if the one on it doesn't work any better after you clean the carb.

New Fuel pump here.$20 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/...=item5aea0237b2

Edited by EricFromPa, February 13, 2013 - 08:56 PM.

#33 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 09:07 PM

Have manuals and was reading. Yes, screws just for idle I'm finding. That pump you linked to is same one my local shop suggests and carries, about same price. Have used one on a Sears before and they work OK. Will work on tractor when I can get it inside. Got the tire tubed and have to get it back on now to move it. Still need to figure out why idle won't go back to screw unless I hold it there.

#34 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 09:27 PM

You might have to reset your governor.If the nut came loose on the governor rod at some point and wasn't properly reset it will not return to idle position.