• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Wade M OFFLINE  

Wade M
  • Member No: 21230
  • 65 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 06:33 AM

I was going to purchase the Hobart 140 from Tractor Supply.  1 for price and 2 anything heavy I stick. I just want it for quick work in my garage.  I was doing a online review and found a youtube video comparing the Hobart to a Longevity 140.  Started researching feedback on the longevity and found they are carried by Airgas.  Spoke with my local Airgas guys and they say they never heard of them.  They also could not find reference to them in inventory. Maybe a clue to stay away.  Anyone have any experiance with a longevity.  For the price they are boasting of better control and set up for aluminum spool gun attachment. 

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 06:41 AM

I have the Hobart 140 and I'm very happy with it. I do use Argon mix with it. I don't care for the flux core wire at all.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#3 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 07:27 AM

I belong to a welding forum. Some members have bought longevity or everlast welders. Some swear by 'em, most swear at 'em. It seems most of them have a bad tendency to let all the smoke leak out while under warranty and then it's like pulling teeth to get the warranty honored. Like most things made on the west side of the pond, parts availability is almost nonexistent. I've never had any personal experience w/ them, just going by what I've read. I have two of the blue machines and they don't owe me a dime. If parts are ever needed I think they will be available.

WadeM, if you buy the Hobart get the argon/CO2 bottle and use .023 wire. It makes welding thin steel a whole lot easier. As for alum. I'm keeping my eye out for a used scratch start tig unit to hook up to my A/C D/C stick welder. Never tig welded, but I've read it's a lot like O/A welding so I think I know enough of the basics of it to learn.

HTH,

Mike                                          

#4 Lmiller3358 ONLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,333 Thanks
  • 1,321 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 08:09 AM

I'd go with the Hobart, I just sold my Miller mig welder cause i rarely use it, my buddy has a new Hobart at my disposal anytime I need it and vice versa if he needs my arc welder for something heavy....

#5 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 08:25 AM

I bought my stepson one of the hobart 140's at tsc I'm guessing 6 or 7 years ago,he's not had the first moments trouble with it and he uses it quite a bit.</p>

Edited by pigsitter, January 13, 2013 - 10:02 AM.

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 08:34 AM

I have had mine for about 10 years. I have welded heavier than 1/4" with it, just grind a good vee, make one pass, go back over it with a wider pass to fill the vee. The weld hasn't broken yet.

#7 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 13, 2013 - 10:42 AM

I have had a hobart 140 for about 5 years now. I lost track of how many 10 lb spools I have run through this thing. My closest guess would be over 10. The only problem I had was when a neighbor used it, the tip got crapped up and wouldnt feed. Instead of cleaning / changing the tip, he cranked down the feed roller. This burred up the wire and it got bound up in the liner and I couldnt get it back out. I think the liners were $16 with $12 shipping, so I bought 2.

They will trip a 15 amp breaker if you work them hard. A 20 amp will hold good,but if it is plugged into an outlet that is very far from the breaker box, 12ga wire could get hot. I run mine from a 30 amp breaker, with the outlet located at the breaker box and use a 10ga extension cord. It seems to work better that way and limits the fire hazard due to wire getting hot inside the wall. I use the 30A because that is what is needed for the plasma cutter.

Edited by rat88, January 13, 2013 - 10:43 AM.

#8 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 10:54 AM

I'd go with the Hobart, I just sold my Miller mig welder cause i rarely use it, my buddy has a new Hobart at my disposal anytime I need it and vice versa if he needs my arc welder for something heavy....

Hobart and Miller are made by the same company... I have a Millermatic 185 (same machine now is the MM210)  that I bought new in '97 or 98  I dont use it as much as I used to, but its there when I do need it!

my welding comes in spurts  nothing for a couple months then it seems I get a week I cant set it down

I went thru 3 cheap machines (1 Astro  1 Century and 1 I forget who) and for what I wasted on those I coulda bought the Miller to start with and been done with it;  all 3 of my cheap machines were 110 powered  when I bought my Miller I decided to quit playin around and go 220... it has never missed a beat.  

#9 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 10:56 AM

No experience with either but can tell you that Hobart is part of Miller welder now days. If you look at the Miller and the Hobart the obvious difference is the color. Not sure of the internal workings, but parts availability is important. I don't figure you can go wrong with Hobart. I have been involved with welders and welding for over 35 years and have not seen anything of those other brands mentioned. I own a Miller 210 and would not go any smaller but that is me. The smaller welders do not do aluminum very well. I have tryed. Quality never goes out of style.

#10 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,410 Thanks
  • 3,160 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 10:56 AM

Hobart is owned by Miller and basically the same thing. Great little machines . If you are welding gass less use Lincoln gassless wire .030 max . It is the best stuff out there PERIOD ! If you use gas then you can use just about anything .

To get better punch in thicker steel use pure argon ! It will also weld much smoother and cleaner with pure argon too.

As for welding aluminuim with it , change the drive wheels, and liner , use pure argon, and run  it hot . It welds like a dream . Don't use any wheels or liner that you ran steel through , it will contaminate the aluminum wire and make a mess.

As for scratch starting a tig on aluminum .... good luck it makes a mess of your tungsten.

#11 bgkid2966 ONLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 12:21 PM

I use a small 115v flux core wire mig welder, 90 amp. It is a Vaper brand from Pep Boys, I think. It works well. I have no complaints for what it is. I would like to get a bigger 115v mig, but that is a cost prohibitive option right  now. 

Does anyone know where to get the best price on a 2 lb spool of flux core size .030?

Geno

#12 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 12:35 PM

I use a 120v Clarke 135EN wire welder. I bought it at TSC about 13 yrs ago and has been a great machine. I myself prefer using .023 wire and 75/25 gas mixture. I don't care for all the spatter using flux core.

#13 wawcub47 OFFLINE  

wawcub47

• Member No: 852
  • 68 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 12:36 PM

My son in law had a century 115v that was bought from an auto parts place.Nothing but junk, and or course the parts place knew nothing about them. 

#14 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 12:44 PM

I use a little Hobart mig for my home built things also. I have it on a 15 amp breaker and when using 130 amps (highest setting) I trip the breaker every now and then. I use 0.030 wire and argon CO2 mix, it works great!

I get my wire from true value, it is $10 for a 2 pound spool, and $25 for a 10 pound spool. TSC also has wire; I don't know what the 2 pounders are, but a 10 pound spool is $30. Or, I could go to my local airgas and spend $50 for a 10 pound spool...

#15 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 13, 2013 - 12:49 PM

There is a big difference between "walmart" welders and a Hobart. I started out with a cheap welder like most, due to price and availability about 20 years ago. I wore out 3 of them in 15 years.

They have a shorter duty cycle and will shut off after they get hot. they will be in cool down mode longer than you can weld with them on a large project. They only time I hit the duty cycle on the hobart140 was when I was finishing up the box blade after I got it all tacked.

The big problem I see with the cheapies, is the the wire is hot all the time, the trigger is used to feed the wire. I got flashed a couple hundred times while getting ready to start a bead.