#1 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,183 Thanks
  • 5,209 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 11:56 PM

Other then the Bolens stuff racing is a big part of my life I been around racing sence I can remember.

My dad's Limited Late Model that has not seen the track in 8 years he stoped racing when the cost went up. I hope to be driveing it in a year or two....

My dad started racing in 1994.

16-2.jpg

16-11.jpg

My brother in laws Super Late Model that he has been raceing for 7 years and is hopeing to have a big year this year with it. My brother in law has made a name for him self around Mi sence starting racing in 1990. Know for his nick name badfast he has won alot of races over the years and has I belive 5 track championships at 3 different tracks. I was very happy to be part of his 2003 championship being part of his crew.

jhjhk 044.jpg

jhjhk 050.jpg

jhjhk 053.jpg

Edited by wilberj, January 12, 2013 - 11:57 PM.

• tractorgarden, MFDAC, MailmAn and 1 other said thanks

#2 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 03:14 AM

Thats pretty cool! Have you ever gone around the track before? I bet you guys get going 125+ mph on them tracks. Around here all the guys run on dirt, although there is a  few asphalt tracks closer to the twin cities (St. Paul/Minneapolis). Thats something I always wanted to get into, but the payouts around here are crap. A couple of my buddies asked if I wanted to run the mechanics race a few times, but the other half said NO! I guess I push the limit sometimes doing derbies, she don't like it when you do full track head ons with another guy. My shoulder usually hurts once she comes down to the pits after the derby. :D

Do you run chevy drivetrains in them with a ford out back?

• wilberj said thank you

#3 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,183 Thanks
  • 5,209 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 11:13 AM

Thats pretty cool! Have you ever gone around the track before? I bet you guys get going 125+ mph on them tracks. Around here all the guys run on dirt, although there is a  few asphalt tracks closer to the twin cities (St. Paul/Minneapolis). Thats something I always wanted to get into, but the payouts around here are crap. A couple of my buddies asked if I wanted to run the mechanics race a few times, but the other half said NO! I guess I push the limit sometimes doing derbies, she don't like it when you do full track head ons with another guy. My shoulder usually hurts once she comes down to the pits after the derby. :D

Do you run chevy drivetrains in them with a ford out back?

I drove around the track in my car I drive every day but not in the racecar yet hopeing soon.

The Super Late Model hits around 110 MPH down the back stretch.

All tube cars with 350 to 360 chevy blocks. Supers run a dry sump oil system well a limited has to run a pan. Most guys run quick change rear end but a ford 9'' works good two.

• Nato77 said thank you

#4 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 11:38 AM

I have been in with a few dirt racers around here. Brings back some great memories.

• wilberj said thank you

#5 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 11:08 PM

Racing has been a big part of my life since 1968, mostly on dirt, altho I worked for a local car owner that raced 4 Winston Cup races in 1974 and 1975. I worked on local pit crews 25 years 17 of them with the same owner/driver. I never had the bucks to have my own car but got pretty good with chassis and tire combos. I also lettered a couple hundred or more cars over a 30 year period. My wife of 35 years dad was a dominant racer in western Nebraska when she was born then she met me, worked for the promotors of our local speedway for at least 25 years too so, yeah racing has been a focus of our life!

Looking foreward to more pics and updates on your families racing!

Later---DAC 

• wilberj said thank you

#6 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 04:54 AM

Jerome, if you guys travel much, there is a 3/8 mile asphalt oval about 3 rock throws from me :D :D :D

http://www.loraincountyspeedway.com/

• MFDAC said thank you

#7 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,183 Thanks
  • 5,209 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 01:22 PM

Jerome, if you guys travel much, there is a 3/8 mile asphalt oval about 3 rock throws from me :D :D :D

Look like a nice place very flat looking to.

Heres my home track shes over 70 years old.

http://www.owossospeedway.com/

• MFDAC said thank you

#8 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 03:50 PM

I too have been around racing for about 45 years, started with my father who was a driver and my grandfather was a NASCAR official. He worked the local track, and Daytona for many years. As a kid I had free run of the local track due to who my grandfather was, pits,pace car,wreckers,flag stand, and even the snack bar. :bigrofl:

Over the years I have helped on cars, owned cars and was a owner/driver too, never made any money but had a lot of fun. Fastest was driving a Busch North car at New Hampshire International Speedway, sadly it was  also the weekend that took Adam Petty way to young. I'm still involved a little with a friend who runs a really fast Pro-Stock a few times a week. There are times I wish I didn't let my NASCAR license expire, but I get over it. :thumbs:  

Home tracks http://seekonkspeedw...eedway.com/     and     http://www.thompsonspeedway.com/

Edited by John@Reliable, January 20, 2013 - 03:52 PM.

• MFDAC said thank you

#9 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:27 PM

Look like a nice place very flat looking to.

Heres my home track shes over 70 years old.

http://www.owossospeedway.com/

I too have been around racing for about 45 years, started with my father who was a driver and my grandfather was a NASCAR official. He worked the local track, and Daytona for many years. As a kid I had free run of the local track due to who my grandfather was, pits,pace car,wreckers,flag stand, and even the snack bar. :bigrofl:

Over the years I have helped on cars, owned cars and was a owner/driver too, never made any money but had a lot of fun. Fastest was driving a Busch North car at New Hampshire International Speedway, sadly it was  also the weekend that took Adam Petty way to young. I'm still involved a little with a friend who runs a really fast Pro-Stock a few times a week. There are times I wish I didn't let my NASCAR license expire, but I get over it. :thumbs:  

Home tracks http://seekonkspeedw...eedway.com/     and     http://www.thompsonspeedway.com/

Thanks for those links, guys, it's always fun to read info from tracks in other areas!

Later---DAC

#10 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,183 Thanks
  • 5,209 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 09:14 PM

A little fun in the sun this is the heat race for my BIL in the red 14 car last weekend at springport or the port some call it.

He finsh second in the feature race.

spring 2013 003.jpg

spring 2013 004.jpg

spring 2013 001.jpg

spring 2013 002.jpg

We have a 100 lapper at the home track this weekend I'll be there helping like always and takeing pics so there more to come...

• MFDAC said thank you

#11 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 02:46 PM

Did you get a car built this year?
Glad to hear the BIL is doing good.
  • wilberj and MFDAC have said thanks

#12 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,183 Thanks
  • 5,209 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 07:41 PM

Did you get a car built this year?
Glad to hear the BIL is doing good.

I wish, tractor stuff is cheep raceing is not.

We need to rebuild the engine and buy new pistons that cost $600.

The car needs to be gone over to its not seen the track sence 2004.

To run good were I would race you need to buy a set of tires every week and they run around $400. 

The money tree needs to be bigger!

• Nato77 said thank you

#13 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,183 Thanks
  • 5,209 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 06:54 PM

BIL finshed 4th in the 100 lapper came from 12th he was side by side with third on the last lap just needed one more and we would of had third.

The BIL also finshed second in points at another track with 4 seconds, 1 third, and, 2 fourth no win but next year we plan on locking up alot of wins and a champinship.

• MFDAC, Nato77 and EricR have said thanks

#14 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 08:48 AM

That would be neat to get your Dad's car out on the track again. I have never raced but love the cars. My Dad & I use to go to some local asphalt ovals & dirt tracks. This is racing at it's best. Most of the tracks are gone now. I'm a Nascar Sprint Cup fan but miss going to the local tracks. Keep us up to date on your Dad's car.

• wilberj said thank you

#15 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 12:07 AM

We use to have a little track in my home town. I grew up watching Jimmy Spencer, Todd and Jeff Bodine race at Shangrala Speedway in Owego NY. Mr. excitement could really throw down in the modified. It got where the gravel under the track was worth more than this historic raceway.I have a lot of great memories with my uncle " he always took me " and spent a lot of time asking questions. Now we have shangrala 2 it's a concrete track but the crowds aren't as big. Thank's for sharing and good luck in the up coming races 

• Alc said thank you