• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 12:41 PM

So...  not exactly a replacement for a newer whole house emergency generator then...  Still, comes in mighty handy on a farm or something to use power tools (not cordless ones) wherever you need to that you can drive your tractor to.  You could use it for household chores too, such as trimming hedges with an electric trimmer without the need for a 5,000 foot long extension cord that you'll just end up cutting by accident, lol...

Does anyone know about how many of these were produced?  Does Generac still make these units or parts for them?  I'm wondering if Newpaws493 could get a new mounting kit for his Bolens from Generac still?  How hard are the mounting kits and/or other generators to find?

So, onto the second part of my question...?  What is the availability of these units and/or replacement parts for them?  I'm pretty sure Generac as a company at least is still very much in business...

Edited by MailmAn, January 15, 2013 - 12:43 PM.

#17 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 01:06 PM

Yes Generic is still in business. I have a stand-by generator at my house. A whole house unit would be a 20 kw or bigger unit, mine is a 15 kw and is wired to run the whole house. It's not quite big enough, but you just have to be careful and don't overload it.
  • boyscout862 and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#18 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 02:31 PM

i have a one that fits a tube frame, it wasnt used much. its 4000 watt and its handy when you loose power. for the fridge, couple lights and a small tv... there pretty rare to find one complete. i got this at a old bolens dealier he said he used it for a demo model to show to customers. heres pics of mine running a little fan but i use it for chargeing batterys on tractors that are dead in the fields... heres a few pics

IMG_0223.JPG IMG_0225.JPG IMG_0226.JPG

Edited by 1967bolens collector, January 15, 2013 - 02:34 PM.

• Newpaws493 and MailmAn have said thanks

#19 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 04:49 PM

Availablility is scarce. I've come across less than a dozen in forty years. Only one in the last ten. Before I run either of mine, they will need to be checked carefully. At forty to fifty years old the bearings may be dried out.

If you shop around you can find a 4 kw or 5 kw for under $100 that doesn't run. Check it carefully. Many times they are either not running or not generating. If its not running and not blown it may just need the fuel system cleanned. If its blown or not generating its probably not worth touching. When you get one working you can put it in a cart behind your tractor. Good Luck

• Newpaws493 said thank you

#20 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,699 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 04:56 PM

I have this Pincor generator I picked up not too long ago

Still need to make something to mount it.

I tested it with the NOS PTO assembly :D

Attached Thumbnails

• green brier I 011.JPG
  • green brier I 012.JPG
  • green brier I 013.JPG
  • green brier I 014.JPG

• Newpaws493 and MailmAn have said thanks

#21 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for questions and info guys, I'm still  :watch_over_fence: for manuals before I get too touchy with this piece. seller says his test was a rope pull  and watchin  meter . He offered to demo but :hitting_self_roller: I loaded and hit the road after a few good rounds o chin music about other toys such as something exactly like this:

1963-rokon.jpg

He completed a mechanical restore on his and told me 'Marlin Perkins (remember him?) used to sport one...' :anyone:

:offtopic:Advisory

"...around 1958 when Charles Fehn of Thousand Oaks, California began work on his invention...Another of the original ideas patented by Mr. Fehn was the hollow aluminum wheel, each of which holds 4.5 gallons of liquid ballast or fuel. Conversely, with the wheels empty, the bike can be pitched into a body of water and will float just fine. Two ingenious ideas, one great motorcycle, the Trail-Breaker..."

http://www.rokon.com...cleWorld-Ranger

#22 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 06:49 PM

i have a one that fits a tube frame... heres pics of mine running a little fan but i use it for chargeing batterys on tractors that are dead in the fields...

attachicon.gifIMG_0226.JPG

IMG_26a.jpg

In your pics it looks like you're running inline from pto like other implements, was there a conversion made? Or will I be 'sidesaddlin' like Doc's Pincor?

#23 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,699 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 08:07 PM

This is kind of going off topic but figured I'd ask here anyways...

I belted up the pincor generator today to the 850 and ran it a good 10 minutes with a small load applied ( Electric Light and Drill)

After a few minutes of running the generator was hot.

Are these supposed to run hot like the Starter generators on the Bolens? It gets hot enough where you cant keep your hand on it for too long...

• Newpaws493 said thank you

#24 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 08:51 PM

After a few minutes of running the generator was hot.

Are these supposed to run hot like the Starter generators on the Bolens? It gets hot enough where you cant keep your hand on it for too long...

I'd like to know... :anyone:

#25 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 09:26 PM

Well lookie,lookie...

$(KGrHqRHJEEFDN6POI3!BQ82Sesniw~~60_57.J

(Mods feel free to move this as guy seems to have a bit o WH gear...)

#26 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 07:53 PM

In ten minutes with a light load it should only get warm. As I said before old bearings dry out. You probably need to replace them. There may also be a mouse nest in the generator that is preventing the air cooling inside. Take it apart, clean, lubricate and check the entire thing. Good Luck

• Bolens 1000, Newpaws493 and MailmAn have said thanks

#27 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:10 PM

I agree with a light load for just a few minutes that it should just be a little warm.  These things need a lot of air moving through them, LOTS of it.  Check it out good for proper air flow.

• Bolens 1000, Newpaws493 and MailmAn have said thanks