• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chucknbob OFFLINE  

Chucknbob
  • Member No: 22241
  • 90 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 07:01 PM

So I pulled my 1254-01 apart a couple weeks ago to replace a locked up steering column. I put it back together, and now it won't crank. It did before I took it apart.

Anyways, I checked it out, and it does crank when I jump the solenoid. It also has 12 volts going down to the red wire when I turn the ignition to start. I'm planning on picking up a solenoid tomorrow, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything before I do that, it just seems weird that the solenoid would fail in the 2 weeks it was just taken apart.

Also, this is the diagram I downloaded from the tube frame repair manual I found in the downloads section. I only have 2 yellow wires coming from the ignition switch, not 3 like the diagram shows. Also, one of the yellow wires is disconnected and not going to anything. I do have the yellow wire going from the regulator to the switch (the one I drew). Should the other wire be connected to the ammeter or the light switch? 1254 wiring.jpg

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 07:04 PM

Have you checked your fuse's?

#3 Chucknbob OFFLINE  

Chucknbob
  • 90 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 07:55 PM

Jim getting 12 volts at the relay on the red wire. The fuse going to the blue-yellow wire I dis not check. What does that wire do? Also, does the relay ground through the frame? I don't see a ground wire for the windings inside the solenoid.

#4 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 08:02 PM

The only thing that comes to mind is that the solenoid needs to be attached to a good ground for it to work. I noticed that it uses a one wire solenoid so the solenoid needs to have a ground to make it click. Also if you don't hear a click then it is certainly a ground issue because you have 12 volts to the post to activate it.
  • Chucknbob said thank you

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 08:35 PM

The only thing that comes to mind is that the solenoid needs to be attached to a good ground for it to work. I noticed that it uses a one wire solenoid so the solenoid needs to have a ground to make it click. Also if you don't hear a click then it is certainly a ground issue because you have 12 volts to the post to activate it.

:iagree: :ditto:

#6 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 12:18 AM

Bolens used two different styles of solenoids on the tube-frames.

One style required the small terminal to be connected to 12v + to energize the solenoid.  ....This style of solenoid is grounded through the case (foot) of the solenoid.  .....It does not matter which sides of the solenoid the battery and starter cables are connected.

The other style required the small terminal to be connected to GROUND to energize the solenoid.  ....This solenoid's coil gets its 12v positive internally from the large terminal marked "BAT".  ....The POSITIVE cable from the battery must be connected to the "BAT" terminal of the solenoid.

I suspect you have your solenoid connected incorrectly.   .....There are instructions in the link below to identify and test your solenoid.

http://gardentractor...identification/

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#7 Chucknbob OFFLINE  

Chucknbob
  • 90 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 11:54 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I pulled the solenoid off, knocked off the rust where the solenoid mounts, and it starts right up now.
  • Arti said thank you