Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Java Has Been Hacked?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,649 Thanks
  • 8,525 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 10:57 AM

WNYTractorTinkerer is right Java has been a target quite often and so have other frameworks like dot net and silverlight.  One thing is don't panic if you are running Java.  First they have to be able to get to it so if you are running a good security suite and have your firewall secure (ie. using something else besides Windows built in firewall) then you will probably be safe.  I would do like Kenny and disable the Java plug in, in your browser.

For those using Linux or BSD you are probably using Open Jave which is an opensource version.  So if there is a security breech in the code somewhere you will probably see an update within a few days to a week.  Once again just make sure your firewall is setup securely.  If you don't know how to do this go out to your distributions forums and do a search there will probably be quite a few threads on this subject and instructions.

Just remember your computer is like your house, you leave the front or back door open you will likely get thieves.  Secure those doors and you probably don't have anything to worry about.

• ducky and MH81 have said thanks

#17 Canawler OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,880 Thanks
  • 1,744 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 12:31 PM

I guess I need help with this.  I'm running Windows 7 and IE 9.  I couldn't find anything about Java in the browser settings and it isn't on the list of programs to remove in the control panel.  When I just search "java" all kinds of the stuff shows up so I know it's on the computer.  The java control panel didn't have an option to uninstall.

#18 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,379 Thanks
  • 3,959 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 01:11 PM

Hi Jim,

(I forgot: java must not be installed in your browser!)

the warning was only for java version 7.10 and you have the add in your browser. So you have to go to the sites of mozilla or microsoft or... There could be a security risk for flash products, too. Here's the way to deactivate in ff Unbenannt.JPG and here for all browsers How do I disable Java in my web browser?

Edited by jd.rasentrac, January 14, 2013 - 12:13 AM.

• boyscout862 said thank you