• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,593 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 04:56 PM

There is an Onan genset for sale in my neighbourhood. The person who has it has been trying to solve an issue where it starts and runs for a while than quits. He has replaced the carb and some other parts based on advice from experts and it hasn't solved the problem. The latest advice he got was to replace the coil but he has decided to sell instead. I think it's a p218 based on the genset model (emerald 4000). The hour meter shows 132 for what that's worth. I know it would have a tapered shaft but I'm thinking of picking it up anyway for the engine or just to repair it. 

He wants 250$ for it but is going to look at a little tiller I have so that will be a partial trade. I was wondering if an adapter can be made to use the tapered shaft. Also, I think it has a large oil sump of 3.5 quarts which would probably mean it won't fit where a typical GT engine would. I have a JD 317 with a series 1 engine and I know it is ripe so am looking at this engine as a possible replacement. 

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing. 

Thanks

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,287 Thanks
  • 4,038 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 05:17 PM

It would be worth the price IMO. I have one of those in my Motorhome and when I was looking for info on the gen set I saw they were selling for at least $800 for ones with higher hours even. And I am willing to bet that the coil is bad on this one. I had the same problem on an Onan gen set I had years... ago.

As far as the shaft goes. I am not 100% positive but I wouldn't see why an adapter couldn't be made to convert this from a taper shaft to a straight?

The oils sump I have no clue on sorry. Good luck though I hope you can get it for a good price.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 36,792 Thanks
  • 30,138 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 05:20 PM

Yep, sounds like the coil is breaking down.  Had a Miller Welder I worked on for my cousin do the very same thing.  It would fire up most every time, but die after a while running.  Sounds like a heck of a deal!  On the crank taper, a good machine shop should be able to turn an adapter allowing use of a PTO clutch.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,593 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 05:43 PM

I haven't heard back from the owner but he said he was busy. It would make a nice project just to get it going if nothing else. 

#5 HankS OFFLINE  

HankS

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7608
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 08:52 AM

I'd say it's worth the price, 132 hours isn't much. A new Onan 4kw genset cost around $3,000. Heck I'd try to get it running and sell it. When he says it starts and runs awhile then quits, what is awhile? If the control board senses that it's not generating 120v AC it will shutdown. If it senses low oil it will shutdown. All sensing is disabled while starting. So if it fires up and runs for only a few seconds, the generator side may not be producing AC.Those gensets need to be run under load frequently, like once a month. If not the brushes will corrode and it won't generate any output. They're easy to remove and clean. Could also be the VR, a common failure point. Or even the control board itself. The low oil sensor can be disconnected to see if that is the problem.

If it runs minutes or more then it's likely something on the engine side but could still be on the gen side. Monitor the output voltage until it shuts down. If the voltage drops prior to shutdown it could be on the gen side, something breaking down under heat. If the voltage stays up until shutdown sounds like the engine side is failing.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,593 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for the info. Hank. I haven't heard back from him. He had a lot of interest and may have sold it to someone else. It was sometimes hard to start and would run for a few seconds to a few minutes but eventually quit. I was thinking that an oil sensor could be the culprit as well. Since it has a brand new carb it is most likely an electrical problem if it's engine related. 

#7 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,296 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 02:49 PM

Hope for you he's just busy as if it was mileage it would only have a little over 8500 miles @ 65 mph,  just broken in!