18 replies to this topic

#1 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 10:40 PM

I stopped at the auto parts store to get some gasket material to make my carb mounting gaskets.  There were 2 young guys working.  The one I asked said, "Cork?"  I told him what it was for and he brought out 5 kinds for me to choose.  The other young man came over to see what I needed and when I told him what I needed it for, he also asked,"you want cork?"  I never took a small engine carb off to find a cork gasket.

Paper, fiber, cork?  What thickness?

Just what do you use for different gaskets on your garden tractors?

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 10:49 PM

I cut mine out of 1/8" fiber sheet gasket material.

• tinner and robert_p43 have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,322 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 11:01 PM

You probably don't want cork, Fiber gasket will work fine. You might ask if the temp range is on the packaging as some gasket materials are "designed" for higher temps.

I actually question this as a cereal box will get you by in a pinch, but who am I to question what "They" say... :D
  • Texas Deere and Horse and robert_p43 have said thanks

#4 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 10:10 AM

I actually question this as a cereal box will get you by in a pinch, but who am I to question what "They" say... :D

Beer boxes also work.  :beer: Lately just using high temp RTV. Haven't had any issues. Good Luck.

• robert_p43 said thank you

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 10:14 AM

Thicker paper material is best at the carb mount, as it provides some insulation from the heat the block can transfer, lessening the chance of boiling the fuel in the carb.  Never use cork at a carb mount.

• tractorman604, tinner and robert_p43 have said thanks

#6 Chucknbob OFFLINE  

Chucknbob
  • Member No: 22241
  • 90 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 07:05 PM

I'm impressed. I'm surprised the young guys knew what a carburator was.

#7 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 09:59 PM

I'm impressed. I'm surprised the young guys knew what a carburator was.

I don't think they did know what a carburator is.  I think that some places, even auto parts stores, are more concerned that they have someone who can use the computer software to look up a part and run a cash register.  The only cork gaskets I rmember ever seeing were oil pan and transmission pan gaskets on autos.  Maybe the older style valve covers, like on my Chevy pickup.

#8 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 11:06 PM

I'm surprised, I can't remember what the belt size was now but when I asked for it at the local Auto Zone the guy asked me what it fit. I told him it was for a piece of farm equipment.  He told me they didn't sell farm equipment belts.  I told him all I needed was that size belt and he said he needed to know what kind of car it was for.  He finally agreed to let me look at his belt with him.  I showed him how to read the belt size on the belt and he couldn't believe it and called the other two guys over to show them.  None of the three knew how to read the size and one was in his 40's.

• MH81, 1978murray and robert_p43 have said thanks

#9 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 11:08 PM

Never use cork at a carb mount.

Cork will breath and you don't want that.

#10 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 12:11 PM

I like to use a thicker fiber gasket (usually 3/16") at the carb mounting, since the carb mounting flanges tend to heat up and sometimes warp. If the carb flanges warp, the thinner material will cause air leakage.

#11 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 08:57 AM

I'm surprised, I can't remember what the belt size was now but when I asked for it at the local Auto Zone the guy asked me what it fit. I told him it was for a piece of farm equipment.  He told me they didn't sell farm equipment belts.  I told him all I needed was that size belt and he said he needed to know what kind of car it was for.  He finally agreed to let me look at his belt with him.  I showed him how to read the belt size on the belt and he couldn't believe it and called the other two guys over to show them.  None of the three knew how to read the size and one was in his 40's.

wow i learned how to read belt size when i was 12. This just shows u how big companies are bad for things

#12 Salatino OFFLINE  

Salatino

• Member No: 1100
  • 29 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 01:00 AM

speaking of gasket material , I just got done making a few for my cub, I got mine at O'Reilys its " Fel-Pro Gaskets " Rubber-fiber sheet , 1/32" thick , it says for oil,water & gasoline. I'm going to try this for now on the carb,but would like to try a thicker gasket when I get a chance to look around. Its actually the same size as the new carb gasket I bought at the tractor & truck repair shop.So I'm guessing it will be fine, Waiting to find a good set of hole punches to I can start on the rearend gaskets,it'll be alot easier. lol

#13 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 10:00 AM

speaking of gasket material , I just got done making a few for my cub, I got mine at O'Reilys its " Fel-Pro Gaskets " Rubber-fiber sheet , 1/32" thick , it says for oil,water & gasoline. I'm going to try this for now on the carb,but would like to try a thicker gasket when I get a chance to look around. Its actually the same size as the new carb gasket I bought at the tractor & truck repair shop.So I'm guessing it will be fine, Waiting to find a good set of hole punches to I can start on the rearend gaskets,it'll be alot easier. lol

Yep, that'll do fine.  I've used that same material.

• Salatino said thank you

#14 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 11:04 AM

Just to add to the "improvised gasket" category, way back when, when we were racing/wrenching motocross bikes as kids, we used pizza box for gasket material, usually without any problem.

Talking about parts store clerks, I ran into the same type of problem recently when getting a belt for a lathe I was restoring. I didn't have an old belt to take in, just the length and belt profile. I told him what size/type I needed, and was answered with the standard "What car does it go on" question. The kid was lost without the computer telling him which belt to go to inventory and get. He went to one of the "older guys", who went and got my belt for me.

Whats gonna happen when all us "older guys" die off? :(

#15 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 11:11 AM

^ It's about training and passing on knowledge. That kid that works for min wage selling belts and oil filters is likely doing the job because it's a job, not a passion.

• Alc said thank you