• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#106 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,865 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 01:08 PM

We have used plastic egg cartons turned over so the melon rests on the bottom of the part that holds the eggs-- the rain water drains off and the melon doesn't rot. Saves accidently twisting the melon off when you turn it over, too. Planted some flowers in the melon patch this year to see if we can attract more bees to that part of the garden. Last year we didn't get as much fruit set as we usually do and thought that might remedy it. Time will tell. 

• Alc and twostep have said thanks

#107 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 01:26 PM

good idea on the flowers. I have been turning the current growing melons but I think I will try some type of pedistal... the melons (especially the honeydew) are just too good to let rot in the field!!

• oldedeeres said thank you

#108 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 11:13 PM

The garden, besides peppers and tomatoes is about dried up. Here is probably the last squash and maybe the last melons. I've learned a ton on this garden. I'm not happy with the twine used for tomatoe trellis. Next year I'll have gages. the beans are great but I need to have a couple more plantings to stretch it out a little, same with corn. I've had a really bad insect problem. Next year I'll have to invest heavily in Seven.

I picked a couple gallons of Romas and several cantaloupe.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1682.JPG
  • DSCN1684.JPG

#109 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 09:38 PM

Yep looks like you got spring springing out down that way.  Will keep an eye on your progress.  We have grown marigolds in the garden now for at least 5 or 6 years.  Kathy has taken the flowers off the plants in the fall and saved the seeds for planting the following spring.  Our marigolds are now bushes, not just plants, they seem to love it here.  Any body want some seeds??

I only planted a few marigold seed to see how they did and I think they did pretty well. Michigan, do you know if the seeds that you sent were mixed verieties? Here I ended up only planting one of my seedlings and here it is next to a Lowes Late Fall $1 Lavender plant.

DSCN1787.JPG

You can also see my Nastertiums and some Lowes $1 mums. I stuck $1 plants in the ground last November. Out of about a dozen plants I ended with about 10 that survived and they all did great this summer. Never watered them once.

DSCN1788.JPG DSCN1789.JPG

Here is some "Garden Fresh Pizza" that my wife makes... with actual garden fresh veggies!

DSCN1790.JPG

• Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#110 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 09:43 AM

Looks great!!

We had two different colors of flowers, the other color was darker than your pic, I dont know for sure what I sent you as Kathy just put them all together.  We did not get any in the ground this year so maybe next season I will keep the colors separate and try to get you some more.

• twostep said thank you

#111 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 10:59 PM

Next year I will take OCH's word and try "serendipity" sweet corn. This year I planted Buttergold Sweet, Bodacious R/M Sweet, Incredible R/M Sweet. The Buttergold didn't come up worth a darn and what did produced good tasting but small ears. The other two produced well but I believe the "Incredible R/M Sweet" was my favorite. The cornels were smaller but much better taste and texture.

http://gardentractor...-of-sweet-corn/

#112 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 09:41 AM

Man, I sure do miss my garden...

Goodbye 2013!

#113 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,622 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 11:33 AM

I thought I was going to read that you started your seedlings for 2014 today lol . 

• twostep said thank you

#114 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 12:13 PM

LOL, it's a little early but I guess I do need to start up a 2014 thread!