#46 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 12:36 AM

Yesterday I go out and inspect the garden to see if it is ready to till and find this right in the middle of it...

DSCN1156.JPG

Tonight when I tilled she wasn't too happy but just I told her that we are just going to have to be friends and that it isn't up for discussion. She still didn't like it. We'll see how this plays out.

DSCN1160.JPG DSCN1161.JPG DSCN1162.JPG

#47 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 05:05 AM

She's just trying to be close to a food source. When you till the worms up, she's right there to grab them. Be patient and don't get too close if possible.

#48 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 06:50 AM

And she sure is happy to pick all of that low hanging fruit! As long as she doesn't mess with MY fruit we'll get along just fine. I can deal with 10sqft less garden space.

• KennyP said thank you

#49 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 08:30 AM

Planted 15 Triple Crown Blackberry plants that I got off of my uncle... The little girl and the ol' man helped!

attachicon.gifDSCN1135.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN1136.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN1141.JPG

I cut the grapes WAY back last fall since the PO's didn't know that you are supposed to train them... I'm glad to see that they are still alive.

attachicon.gifDSCN1142.JPG

You will like those Blackberries! I have 3 so far and about 5 different Rasberries started (planted two new ons a couple weeks ago) The Blackberries are the best producers so far.

One of my biggest joys in the garden, is my granduaghters delight and enthusiasm.

She is in the third grade, and has even talked her dad into letting her have her own garden in the backyard. Once it dries up I have to load up the tiller and go till up a garden for her.

Edited by JD DANNELS, May 03, 2013 - 08:33 AM.

• Alc and twostep have said thanks

#50 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 09:20 PM

You will like those Blackberries! I have 3 so far and about 5 different Rasberries started (planted two new ons a couple weeks ago) The Blackberries are the best producers so far.

They are good!! Last summer we were visiting my uncle and  I picked about a gallon of them, my little girls demolished them. I grew up picking wild blackberries so these are a super treat... NO THORNS, NO CHIGGERS, and NO TICK'S!!

I got the fence up today. 250' of fence and 25 posts... I'm beat. The one side runs down the row of the blackberries so it'll be the trellis for them. the other three sides have a 4'-5' mow/turn around space. I think it will keep the dogs and kids out yet the girls can still walk up and pick themselves some fresh blackberries when they are playing outside.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1174.JPG

#51 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 09:41 PM

I can appreciate that! I would have been beat before I got 25 posts pounded in the ground.

#52 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 04:38 AM

I LOVE Blackberry cobbler. Terry attempted to make me one years ago, except she used a cake batter mix. Best Blackberry cake I've ever had, but she just wouldn't do it again. Became an inside joke with us, but I never got another one!

• twostep said thank you

#53 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 08:08 AM

Kenny I think pretty much any berry is good however you fix it,

Jo can do about anything in a kitchen pretty darn well. Her grandmother used to haver her bake pies for a club bake sale.
The pies that never got to the sale table was the Mulberry Rhubarb. As soon as they showed up those old ladies were hiding them under the table, to take home themselves.

And I know about those inside jokes. I told my mother i had not had a good banana cream pie since i left home. And Jo has never made one since.
  • KennyP and twostep have said thanks

#54 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 08:35 AM

I can appreciate that! I would have been beat before I got 25 posts pounded in the ground.

Well, I can appreciate driving the posts.  I drove 60 of them in one day, by mid afternoon, and 6 1/2 footers. Woven fence is great for gardens.  Other than raccoons, it's kept all larger critters out of mine.  If I put a low electric fence wire, I'd likely keep the raccoons out as well.

#55 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 09:34 AM

Yeah the coons are a real prooblem. They have an uncanny knack for knowing when sweetcorn is in the milk stage.
And can wipe out an acre in a night. Knock down the stalks and take one bite out of each ear.
I have not fenced my garden,the way I have it spread out it would cost a fortune.
I only drove 4 posts Monday night to set 4 hog panels in an A shape for the peas and beans to climb.
I set the top stringer of one panel over the post, then leaned the other against it and clamped them together with pig rings.
a half dozen posts is all I care to drive at a time.

Edited by JD DANNELS, May 04, 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#56 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 09:14 PM

the way our 'hood lays out I don't have to worry to much about anything other than rabbits and dogs... and my dogs LOVE to take care of the rabbits. My posts are 5' and I drove them 2' deep to fit the 36" wire fence. I hope to upgrade in the future to something more stable but this should get us started.

Mother nature was smiling on me today. It was supposed to start raining at noon today yet the rain held about an hour west of here (Daniel's area) from last night till today at 6pm. Perfect since I was tilling and planting garden from 8am to 5pm. I set the last sunflower seed in dirt, cleaned up my mess, scrubbed my face to take the family out to dinner and it started sprinkling... It's been a good soaking steady rain ever since.   :beer: 

Three types of corn, edamame, swiss chard, broccoli, cabage, green beans, nasturtium, two types of squash, carrots, and sunflowers are in dirt.

#57 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 09:33 PM

I'm figuring my pet killdeers will be here around Memorial day.

Direct seed plants are coming along.

Sweet Corn:

DSCN1215.JPG

Edamame:

DSCN1217.JPG

Pole Beans:

DSCN1218.JPG

Watermelon:

DSCN1214.JPG

Broccoli:

DSCN1216.JPG

Blackberries are doing great:

DSCN1221.JPG

And of course I've still got a bunch of tomatoes, seedling squash, honeydew, nasturtium, another watermelon... I think that is all:

DSCN1197.JPG DSCN1198.JPG DSCN1202.JPG

Edited by twostep, May 16, 2013 - 09:42 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#58 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 12:16 PM

More watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, zucchini and crooked neck squash planted... then the rain hit. I still have a couple dozen tomato plants to get in the ground and some more cantaloupe seed and the garden will be planted for the year!!

And of course my helpers were out in full force.

DSCN1227.JPG

#59 Jordan9682 OFFLINE  

Jordan9682
  • Member No: 31931
  • 71 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 02:49 PM

While i was out watering today, I found some of my sugar snap peas and sunflowers poking up!
  • twostep said thank you

#60 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 12:10 AM

While i was out watering today, I found some of my sugar snap peas and sunflowers poking up!

Yeah, my sunflowers are just starting to come up too. Actually I've had good luck with all of my seeds this year. Something is picking at my seedling broccoli and cabbage though... I really hope it's not the killdeer... and if it is, I really hope I don't catch her doing it.