#1 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 09:13 PM

Figured I'd start a thread on my garden plans for next year.

*EDIT* - Added Plant List:

Nasturtium flowers

Broccolli (Calabrese)

Tomato (Roma & Beefsteak)

Kale (Dwarf Blue Curled)

Turnip (Purple Top White Globe)

Lettuce (Paris Island Cos Romaine)

Corn (Buttergold Sweet, Bodacious R/M Sweet, Incredible R/M Sweet + a field corn of some type)

Cabbage (Copenhagen Market)

Soybean (Shirofumi)

Swiss Chard (Bright lights)

Cantaloupe (Delicious 51, Sweet n Early)

Honeydew (Early-dew)

Watermelon (Dixie Queen)

Pole Beans (Emerite Pole Filet)

Squash (Early Prolific Straightneck)

Zucchini Squash (Black Beauty)

Carrot (Little Finger)

... I think I need to make my garden a little bigger :wallbanging:

Got the garden spot plowed. Bumped it up from 40 x 20 to 70 x 26. The newer portions are really heavy with clay.

DSCN0045.JPG

Last night I went to the stockyard and got a trailer load of manure. I'll probably spread this on the garden and disc it. Then I might get another load or three to just pile up and age to spread out next summer.

IMG_0003.JPG

Soon as I get the layout finished I'll post it up.

Edited by twostep, February 19, 2013 - 01:38 PM.

• daytime dave, boyscout862, Newpaws493 and 1 other said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,751 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 12:42 AM

That's great that you're getting a headstart. We've still got snow with more to come next week.

• twostep said thank you

#3 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 07:40 AM

I'm jealous...we're sitting through the tail end of a snow-storm here and the temperature is going down to -31 C tonight, so I won't even enjoy the little bit of seat-time I get.  It'll be April before I can do any real outside gardening and May before I can till.

Manure is great, lots of nitrogen, but don't forget the other stuff.  The clay around here likes lots of grass clippings and leaves too.

• boyscout862 and twostep have said thanks

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 07:50 AM

That looks like it was tough  plowing because of the grass , was it ?  Didn't do the math but that's close to double the sq. footage I bet !  Keep us posted , Al

• twostep said thank you

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 08:46 AM

Good thing you plowed it now Bob. The sod will start to break down before planting time & make a better seed bed.  Fall would have been even better, but it's plenty early.  I'm surprised it was dry enough for you to plow.  No plowing anywhere near me!  Get all the manure you can!   Like you said, pile it & let it compost.  It takes a lot of it to build up poor ground. I've literally put several tons on my garden over the last few years, and it has paid dividends!  That is when it rained to make things grow.

• twostep said thank you

#6 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 10:18 AM

Bob, that looks good.  Doubling the size was a good idea.  More good stuff.  Are you planning on putting in anything different this year.

About all I can do is read seed catalogs now.  Winter is still a few months away from ending here.

• boyscout862 and twostep have said thanks

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,751 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 11:30 AM

Dave the seed catalogs are to help us get through this time of the year.

• daytime dave and twostep have said thanks

#8 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 12:51 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I hope to keep this thread updated... there is still a lot of cold rainy weather left between now and spring though.

I'm jealous...we're sitting through the tail end of a snow-storm here and the temperature is going down to -31 C tonight... Manure is great, lots of nitrogen, but don't forget the other stuff.  The clay around here likes lots of grass clippings and leaves too.

Not that it's normal but it was in the mid 60'sF today... got me jonesing for spring!

That looks like it was tough  plowing because of the grass , was it ?  Didn't do the math but that's close to double the sq. footage I bet !  Keep us posted , Al

The grass wasn't the problem, the newer portions of the garden was just solid clay, that is what was tough. The existing garden was easy to turn actually.

Good thing you plowed it now Bob. The sod will start to break down before planting time & make a better seed bed.  Fall would have been even better, but it's plenty early.  I'm surprised it was dry enough for you to plow.

Daniel, I actually plowed about a month ago... and probably a week after that it rained and the ground has be saturated ever since. I got about 3 hours of daylight this morning so I backed the truck and trailer down to the garden and got stuck... ended up getting stuck and having to unload the whole trailer in one spot to get it light enough to be able to pull out.

Bob, that looks good.  Doubling the size was a good idea.  More good stuff.  Are you planning on putting in anything different this year.

We just got this house last July so this will be my first garden here. Here is the list of things I want to grow, I'll be happy if I actually get half of them in the ground...

Corn, Sweet Potato, Red Potato, Idaho Potato, Garlic, Onion (vidalia), Tomato (Roma), Tomato (Hairloom), Tomato (Cherry), Tomato (Better Boy), Summer squash, Zucchini Squash, Kohlrabi, Cabbage, Soybeans, Watermelon, Canalope, Pumpkin, pumpkin2, pumpkin3, Bronze Fennel, Nasturtiums, Oregano.

• daytime dave said thank you

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,751 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 01:13 AM

We plant Merrigolds to repell bugs. I'm hoping to try soybeans this year. Looks like you will have a nice garden. Do you can a bunch of the crop?

• twostep said thank you

#10 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 08:28 PM

That Kubota really turns it under, looking good. I tried to put a garden in last year, but had goats in the garden, it was too late to start one by the time I got new fence up. Hopefully this year we'll get one planted, if nothing else for my mom since it's her property.

I used goat manure/straw and then a lot of rabbit manure, man does the veggies like that!!!

• twostep said thank you

#11 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 11:03 AM

We plant Merrigolds to repell bugs. I'm hoping to try soybeans this year. Looks like you will have a nice garden. Do you can a bunch of the crop?

Aphids is why I want to try the Nasturtiums, plus from what I've read they are good to eat too. Check this out: http://www.yummly.co...turtium-flowers

And yes, we can as much as we can...

That Kubota really turns it under, looking good. I tried to put a garden in last year, but had goats in the garden, it was too late to start one by the time I got new fence up. Hopefully this year we'll get one planted, if nothing else for my mom since it's her property.

I used goat manure/straw and then a lot of rabbit manure, man does the veggies like that!!!

Thanks, I enjoy working outside and growing any kind of plant I can. My desk area at works looks like a jungle from all the house plants I've got sitting around it. I would really like to find a source of rabbit manure around my place... Do you raise rabbits? I'm thinking of getting some to raise through the summer and then kill for meat. Maybe even bread a couple.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 11:16 AM

I wish I had the space to enlarge mine like that. You'll be having some good eatin off of that garden this fall! With all that clay you may need to add something to lighten up the soil and provide better drainage. I've used peat moss in one of my small gardens to do this and it made a huge difference.

• twostep said thank you

#13 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 12:40 PM

............... I would really like to find a source of rabbit manure around my place... Do you raise rabbits? I'm thinking of getting some to raise through the summer and then kill for meat. Maybe even bread a couple.

Well, kind of. We have 2-3 breeds of rabbits we breed for showing in 4H then sell off the others. The kids are getting older and dis-interested so we maybe getting rid of more. My son wants a pair of black New Zealands to breed for 4H and to eat. His buddies hunt rabbits and he is getting the taste and they showed him how to butcher so we may start breeding for meat. New Zealand and Californians are the two best for meat for fast growing and size.

Nice thing about rabbit dropping is it can go on straight with no breakdown time, not a "hot" manure like horse or chicken.

If you have a county fair, check with any rabbit people that might be showing or check local craigslist for people who sell a lot of rabbits, might find yourself a manure supplier through that.

• twostep said thank you

#14 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 09:56 AM

Another half a load of manure to put on the pile and then I'm going to tarp it. Might get another couple of loads to pile up in the back lot for next years general use though.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0410.JPG

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 09:25 AM

Another half a load of manure to put on the pile and then I'm going to tarp it. Might get another couple of loads to pile up in the back lot for next years general use though.

You're gonna increase the fertility of that soil by leaps & bounds.  Next year it'll be even better.  I would put some on every year for 2 to 3 years. By then it'll be in shape to where just fertilize will do for a while.

• twostep said thank you