powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 01:58 PM

Sad followup to the original story, news hit the local paper today and this was taken from the home page of their web site this morning.

Corporate greed hits the home front.

With no small amount of sadness, we announce the closing of R.N. Johnson, Inc., after 84 years in business. After losing our John Deere contract on January 7th of this year, we exhausted every possible means to secure new lines and financing to allow our continued operations. It became apparent that these efforts would not bear fruit within the time frame necessary to remain a viable business. In the end, the decision to close was made to provide our employees a month's advance notice, allowing them time to secure new employment. The next month will allow us to finish all service work in progress. The decision was also made to ensure that upon the closure of our business, we would have sufficient assets to allow us to pay off all our creditors, and not close our doors owing our many loyal and patient suppliers any money. Lastly, over the next month we will be able to refer our many loyal customers to other equipment sales and service businesses best able to satisfy their future needs.Our last day of business will be Thursday, March 28, 2013. Until closing, we will run a store-wide inventory clearance sale of 25% off all in-stock parts and merchandise. As the month progresses, we will increase the discount as needed to liquidate as much inventory as possible. New and used machinery is not included, nor is service work in our shop. We have scheduled a liquidation auction for Saturday, April 20th, from 9:00 am until everything is sold. The auction is being run by Reginald Lussier, Lussier Auction Service, Lyndonville, VT. The auction will include our John Deere Museum collection and all John Deere memorabilia, parts library, tech manuals, operator manuals and special tools. After 84 years as a John Deere dealer, we have antique John Deere signs, posters, literature, sales manuals, price books, parts books and manuals and many other collectibles spanning the 2 Cylinder era. Also in the auction will be the balance of our equipment inventory, all vehicles, forklifts, shop tools, hand tools, power tools and supplies, waste oil furnaces, hoists, lifts, presses, welders, compressors and the like. The sale of our real estate will be handled by Cindy Westover, Galloway Real Estate, Walpole, NH. At a date to be announced, after the auction we will hold a giant yard sale to liquidate unsold parts, pieces and merchandise still on hand. All sales between now and our final closing will be by cash, check or credit card.
I thank God for my wonderful and loyal employees who have been my friends and allies through thick and thin. I thank God our many customers who have made this a rewarding and fulfilling business to be in. I thank God for giving me, my family and my employees the faith, grace, courage, strength and hope to make this decision and move forward to the next chapter in our lives, according to His Holy will. I am confident He will provide all that we need and will continue to guide and protect us in whatever we do.

May God bless you always,

Alan W. Johnson

• olcowhand, KennyP, Cat385B and 1 other said thanks

#47 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 06:35 PM

That makes me so angry!  They destroy what that family built over nearly a century for no good reason at all!  I was hoping they'd secure other lines of equipment.  Now everyone is out of a job at the worst economic times in many decades.  John Deere Corporate sucks big time!  They will hear it from me too!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#48 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,194 Thanks
  • 5,214 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 06:57 PM

That makes me so angry!  They destroy what that family built over nearly a century for no good reason at all!  I was hoping they'd secure other lines of equipment.  Now everyone is out of a job at the worst economic times in many decades.  John Deere Corporate sucks big time!  They will hear it from me too!

:ditto:  :mad2:

#49 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 07:49 PM

Sad day for this dealer and their family.  Sounds like a standup man with a good conviction in his creator.  Sad to see people like this go but I think he will find a new niche and be ok.  Hopefully all his employees can find other employment and his customers new dealers to go too.

We just had this happen last month here as well.  JD corporate shut down one about 30 miles away from me and their inventory is all gone and the remains of whats left is up for auction on march 15th and 16th.

#50 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 12:01 AM

So all of these local closings are going to "...keep the John Deere Corporation a viable and vigorous business model well into the future!"?  What crap.  Pretty soon they will be doing "mail order only".

#51 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 09:54 AM

They destroy what that family built over nearly a century for no good reason at all!

They have a reason, dealer can't sell what they want the dealer to sell, plus they want volume. JD sends me reminders all the time about my line of credit for equipment, sorry JD never going to happen.

Just like what all the car manufactures have done to car dealers, no more mom and pop stores, they want mega-stores. With-in 20 mile area around me at least 30 car dealerships have closed, they were all making a living and had knowledgeable staff, they have been replaced with mega / super-stores who employ order takers.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#52 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 11:09 AM

they have been replaced with mega / super-stores who employ order takers.

And they know nothing...

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks