• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 12, 2013 - 01:17 PM

thats one of the reasons i am selling my deeres and only collecting "REAL" wheel horses,

If you follow the wheel horse linage you know that they were bought out by toro. There isnt anything to keep toro from pulling out of the mom and pop mower shops and building a cheaper "mass consumer" product to compete with the low end cubs and JD.

There is a small shop in town that I get my parts from, that sells and services Toro/ Wheelhorse products. If they pull out, I dont know how it will effect his bottom line, but it will clean out his showroom.

#32 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 02:04 PM

All I can say is:

I'm as biased as you Daniel, but it kinda bothered me when they kept saying "It's not your Daddy's Massey".  I'd have preferred they used lines like "Building on 50 years of leadership and excellence".  Just for my information, did Massey lag in producing high horse-power tractors during the last decade?  I've been trying to learn about the closing of the Banner Lane facility, and wondering how Massey got itself taken over by Ag-co.  Lots of info on Youtube about the Banner Lane closing, not so much about the take-over.

#33 JDGuy445 ONLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 02:22 PM

Many many years ago there was a tractor dealer only 2 miles from the farm. He ended up closing so it was up to northern end dealers to see if they can attract our attention. Just this past year the dealer our 630 was shipped to closed down as well.

#34 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 03:15 PM

There are plenty of good rigs to choose from out there , my choice would first be something efficient, then parts friendly (dealer support) and then weigh this to price.
As far as brands go , about all we have left around me is Deere (Padula Brothers) and they are crooks..
We have a ton of Kubota dealers ,and a few New Holland and Case Dealers with one AWSOME Massey Dealer not to far from me, Devon Lane Massey . They have been incredible and honest with me. So If I ever needed to purchase another new unit they would be my first stop and after shopping around , the last one too.
I am not partial to color preference but Blue is my favorite with Red coming in a very close second.
Green is absolutely out as it is my least lIked color , it looks good in the garden and on trees but but not on my tractor !! YUCK!! :poke:  :shoot2: :beer:  :loosing_it:   :thank_you:

• boyscout862 said thank you

#35 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 02:23 AM

This problem is seen in many consumer products. Bigger is not better for the end user. Greed will destroy us.

• chris m and boyscout862 have said thanks

#36 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 11:21 AM

I go to Padula's for my Deere parts.  I am certain that they just opened a brand new store to keep from losing their franchise   The guys at the parts counter are ok.  I think we "$20-a-month" customers are second class citizens there but it's the nature of the beast.  When you are surrounded by many multi-thousand dollar machines and you're buying an oil filter of a 30 year old Onan I don't think they get too excited.

I tried a local Kubota dealership to see what it would cost to tube a front tire after I thought my local OPE guy (non-Deere) was charging me too much and they wanted $80/hr.  That's just what their service rate is.  I guess if they were fixing a combine during harvest I'd pay what ever they wanted.

#37 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 13, 2013 - 11:33 AM

its the $20 a month guys that keep the money coming in.. If you were running a bar, you wouldnt pi$$ of the guy that comes in for 2 beers after work on fridays. Its the few dozen weekend warriors that keeps the bar in business so the regulars have a place to sit during the week. 

#38 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 09:17 AM

If you follow the wheel horse linage you know that they were bought out by toro. There isnt anything to keep toro from pulling out of the mom and pop mower shops and building a cheaper "mass consumer" product to compete with the low end cubs and JD.

This already happened several years ago.  Current Toro tractors ARE low end Cubs.

Toro buys from MTD.

#39 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 10:01 AM

We all have a choice, we can pay high prices for labor and parts or we can shop around. I shop around for parts; NAPA, Tractor Supply, STENS, Rock Auto, Northern Auto, Surplus Center, Bailey Sales, and as a very last resort the dealer. I do the labor myself. I've acquired most of the tools used and some from Harbor Freight. Most of the time, the tools pay for them selves the first or second job. Many have paid for themselves many times over the years.

If someone is going to charge $80 an hour to tube a tire, I'd buy a small tire changer at Harbor Freight for $40 and a tube at TSC for $10 and do it myself. Most of the time little stuff like that I'm able to complete in less time than it takes to drive to the place. With my luck, these things happen when nobody would be open anyway. I've had so many Sunday morning breakdowns that I stock complete tuneup sets, belts, fuses, and bulbs for my cars. I also have generic heater hoses and steel brake lines. My double flairing tool has paid for it self a dozen times over just in the convenience of having the car ready for Monday morning.

I strongly encourage everyone to learn to do the work yourselves. For every dollar you save, thats a dollar and a half that you didn't have to earn(taxes).  I also like the feeling of independance I have because I am mostly self reliant. Good Luck

Edited by boyscout862, January 16, 2013 - 10:02 AM.

• olcowhand, Alc and Bmerf have said thanks

#40 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 09:03 PM

^ Very true. Unfortunately, I've found that few people share our aptitude for OPE repair and upkeep. For them, dealers' parts and repair centers are an important service. 

#41 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 09:57 AM

We all have a choice, we can pay high prices for labor and parts or we can shop around. I shop around for parts... I do the labor myself. I've acquired most of the tools used .... Most of the time, the tools pay for them selves the first or second job. Many have paid for themselves many times over the years...

I strongly encourage everyone to learn to do the work yourselves. For every dollar you save, thats a dollar and a half that you didn't have to earn(taxes). I also like the feeling of independance I have because I am mostly self reliant. Good Luck

:ditto:

I look at this way; self-reliance is what made this country great. Continuing your education will help keep your mind young and your back strong.

#42 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 10:01 AM

We all have a choice, we can pay high prices for labor and parts or we can shop around. I shop around for parts; NAPA, Tractor Supply, STENS, Rock Auto, Northern Auto, Surplus Center, Bailey Sales, and as a very last resort the dealer. I do the labor myself. I've acquired most of the tools used and some from Harbor Freight. Most of the time, the tools pay for them selves the first or second job. Many have paid for themselves many times over the years.

If someone is going to charge $80 an hour to tube a tire, I'd buy a small tire changer at Harbor Freight for $40 and a tube at TSC for $10 and do it myself. Most of the time little stuff like that I'm able to complete in less time than it takes to drive to the place. With my luck, these things happen when nobody would be open anyway. I've had so many Sunday morning breakdowns that I stock complete tuneup sets, belts, fuses, and bulbs for my cars. I also have generic heater hoses and steel brake lines. My double flairing tool has paid for it self a dozen times over just in the convenience of having the car ready for Monday morning.

I strongly encourage everyone to learn to do the work yourselves. For every dollar you save, thats a dollar and a half that you didn't have to earn(taxes).  I also like the feeling of independance I have because I am mostly self reliant. Good Luck

I can't agree more!  On our farm, we do all our own work, with exception of diesel injection pump rebuilds, special machine shop services, and those sorts of things.  Over the years we've saved literally a few hundred thousand dollars.....or in other words, if we didn't do our own work, we'd have went busted long ago!

#43 JDBrian ONLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 11:29 AM

IMHO John Deere hasn't made a decent garden tractor in years. I just happened to be in Lowe's this am and took another look at the Deere tinfoil. Or should I say "plastic foil". What a shame.

Those aren't JD Garden Tractors but LT's. They still make very good GT's. If you ever get a chance to try one of the big 700 series AWS AWD tractors like a X749 give it a try. They are very expensive but still out there and very very nice GT's.

#44 JDBrian ONLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 11:37 AM

The local JD dealers, spanning 3 provinces, are all owned by one company which is a farmers co op that started with 1 dealership and built from there. Over the last 10 years they have bought up all the smaller outfits. I get great service from them so have no complaints. It looks like Massey have raised the bar in the large tractor game. The nearest MF dealer also sells Kubota and finds that that's a nice mix, as the Kubotas top out in the 100HP range and the larger MF's comlete the range.

#45 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 12:37 PM

Bmerf and olcowhand I don't want to belabor this but, I think it was IKE that said it was the farm boys with mechanical experience that really won WWII.