#16 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 09:26 PM

Problem is one word......BIG!  Tractors are bigger or Huge maybe, the farms are bigger and need those bigger tractors. Factory can't make just a few, but many per day just to make it feasible, cause they are BIGGER!  Small dealers can't keep BIG in stock and not much sales on smaller units anymore.  Just parts and service is not what is needed to keep factory's alive! Farming in modern times is a Corporation itself.  No need for the "little" guy anymore.  Hobbie farmers have jobs in the City to live on, and just "play" farmer with their spread.

• Alc said thank you

#17 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 09:38 PM

This is a sad event.

#18 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,008 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 10:45 PM

I'm not a big JD fan and it is not just them that is pulling this nonsense. Sorry to hear about your dealership but at least they are fighting the system and will continue to support their customers. More power to them  :thumbs:

• Alc said thank you

#19 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 10:47 PM

I feel badly for that dealership and any other caught in this pinch.  While corporate America isn't a charity, providing goods, services and jobs to people should count in somewhere.  This has tarnished my high opinion of John Deere a bit.  It did not sound like they were losing any money on this dealership, maybe I'm wrong.  

I hope they continue in business and do well.  

Edited by daytime dave, January 12, 2013 - 10:21 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 10:48 PM

Sorry to hear of the Big Wigs making another probable mistake. The company has been around for so long, I hate to see them making unpopular decisions with their potential buyers. I've seen other brands do similar things over the years & end up merging with another brand or folding. Hope that's not to come.

#21 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 11:40 PM

thats one of the reasons i am selling my deeres and only collecting "REAL" wheel horses,

#22 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,694 Thanks
  • 8,888 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 11:40 PM

This is nothing new, JD has been doing this since 1990. That is when JD decided that they would prefer not to have any dealerships that were strictly L & G. Some made it through that cleansing.

When the current moronic 'business model' starting getting pushed 4 years ago, I heard the magic number was 10. $10 million in sales a year. Under that, find someone to consolidate with.

"thats one of the reasons i am selling my deeres and only collecting "REAL" wheel horses",

Both of mine are gone as of this last fall. I have no interest in having another.

#23 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 01:01 AM

It is just stupid, short sighted greed. They want a bigger profit margin that comes with bigger dealerships. The problem is that this kind of mentality leads to cutting quality at the factory too. I'd be real suspicious of green tractors if I wanted a new machine these days.

Edited by boyscout862, January 12, 2013 - 01:01 AM.

#24 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 07:29 AM

GM started doing this around here in the 1990's.  Go to small towns where they shut down dealerships and you'll find a lot of Dodge trucks and Hyundai and Kia cars.  It loses them business because a lot of people don't want to drive for an hour and shouldn't have to, and a lot of people just feel betrayed.  Different dealerships opened.

We have two JD dealerships here, about 5 miles apart.  The one I go to first has mostly LT's, GT's, and CUTs, the other mostly large farm equipment.  Sometimes I can't get the part I need at one and they look it up on the computer and send me to the other.  Sometimes, like harvest or seeding, the farm equipment one is open later so I can get there after work.  When I have to go to the farm equipment one, I tend to feel like a second class citizen.  They have little interest in dealing with the guy with the 20 year old GT and the little LA 105 mower.  I'm not their target market and they see little value in selling hydraulic fluid by the quart instead of 5 or 10 gallon pails.

I really hope the one I usually go to doesn't get caught up in this.  I still need parts and fluids and filters.

• Alc said thank you

#25 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 12:34 PM

I live in prime farming country, 30 miles to the nearest Deere dealer.  Same for Case IH & Kubota, no other dealers nearby!  As for L&G, Husqvarna dealer here, no others for 30 miles.  Our town is the county seat, around 5000 population, used to have JD, IH & AC farm equipment dealers, all closed years ago.  

The world we live in today is not a fair one!  ~~  Lowell

#26 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 12:35 PM

Nothing new at all, been happening for years at JD. One local one was shut down and they were a big dealer, had a few ramp trucks and a couple of tractor trailer for service pick ups.Dealership was sold and moved, now now sell Cub-Cadet and Kubota and looks like they are doing pretty well too! Another small one a few towns away was told they couldn't sell any used equipment unless it was a JD product.

#27 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 12:49 PM

Now you know why I don't like Deere..... they will pay in the end as Cat and CNH keep sucking up their pissed off customers......

#28 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,824 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 12:53 PM

Now you know why I don't like Deere..... they will pay in the end as Cat and CNH keep sucking up their pissed off customers......

Yes, I also believe they are shooting themselves in the foot!  I'll paint my 430 red yet!!!!!!

• Titus and skyrydr2 have said thanks

#29 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,824 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 12:56 PM

All I can say is:

• HowardsMF155 and skyrydr2 have said thanks

#30 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 12, 2013 - 12:58 PM

IMHO John Deere hasn't made a decent garden tractor in years. I just happened to be in Lowe's this am and took another look at the Deere tinfoil. Or should I say "plastic foil". What a shame.