powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 08:05 PM

Sad days around here for a lot of folks.  John Deere Corporate showed up Monday at the local dealership and took their franchise and the tractors and equipment and left.  This is one of the oldest dealerships in the country, one family owned for 84 years.  Now I know not everyone is a Big fan of JD green and not everyone locally bought from them, but they had a pretty good parts and service area and one heck of a lot of new and used vintage parts to help folks keep the old ones working.  Corporate did the same to another small dealership about 40 miles away.  Said they were not producing enough sales volume.....  Enough for whom?  They payed their bills and had 20 or so folks on the payroll..... kept a lot of ag and woods eqipment working so others could earn a living...  Guess that doesn't mean much when you sit in a warm comfy office and look at numbers on a piece of paper 1500 miles way.  :ah_shoot:

• mjodrey, dstaggs, Alc and 12 others have said thanks

#2 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 08:18 PM

As a John Deere fan, I feel really bad for your local businesses being shut down like this, especially since they've been in business for so many years. Can't always understand the thinking and logic that John Deere uses, but at times like this, I think they're making a big mistake, as these small type of dealerships are where most people want to go, because they feel more like a customer instead of just another buyer. The relationships are built more at the smaller dealerships, rather than the big Corporate dealerships.

Sorry to hear of you lose, and wish you the best at finding another place to do your business.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 11, 2013 - 08:26 PM

Sounds like they hired a bunch of over-educated college boys for bean counters. The automakers did the same thing when they were going broke. Its hard to sell anything if you limit were it can be bought. I doubt the government (tax payers) will bail out the tractor makers.

#4 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 08:27 PM

They did the same thing to our local dealership a couple years ago. I don't know how old it was but it was their before I was born and I'm 42. It was a family owned/run dealership and they had a round fender 110 on the showroom floor that was owned by the family since new. They are still in business but no longer a jd dealership, I think they sell kioti's now! :say_what:

#5 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 08:31 PM

What dealer was that? (the one in NH)

Edited by Oo-v-oO, January 11, 2013 - 08:31 PM.

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 08:32 PM

Same thing happened here a few years ago.  Good local JD business with great service.  Corporate came in and made an offer for the business (so I hear, I don't know for sure).  Owner said that it was worth twice the offer and he wasn't going for the deal.  They told him that that was fine, they would just open a place across the street and put him out of business.  Well he took the deal and retired.  Now, instead of going just a couple of miles for parts, the locals have to travel 15 - 20 miles.  Shame.

#7 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 08:34 PM

Ah, found it:

http://www.rnjohnsoninc.com/

• dstaggs and Alc have said thanks

#8 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 08:37 PM

What dealer was that? (the one in NH)

R N Johnson, Walpole, NH

Here is a link to the story in the paper.

http://www.unionlead...EWS02/130119951

• Oo-v-oO and Cvans have said thanks

#9 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 08:41 PM

I don't even own a JD but this is just so... sad! Sorry to say but I only see more of this sort of thing in the near future :(

#10 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 08:46 PM

Sorry to hear that the local dealership was forced to close after so many faithful years selling their brand. I can't understand their thinking. Any dealership selling their tractors should add to the bottom line. I guess instead of just graduating high school, I should have gone onto college so I would better understand the nonsense.

#11 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

I was told several years back that Deere and Company is working towards one dealer per county. Too bad in my opinion. The John Deere dealers are getting farther apart but when ya go in they can tell you where your parts are. Might be many miles away but they know where they are. Anybody remember John Deere Days at the dealers? It was a treat to see a movie and have a sandwich when I was a wee lad.  

#12 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

That is truly a shame. 

#13 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 08:51 PM

Sorry to hear that the local dealership was forced to close after so many faithful years selling their brand. I can't understand their thinking. Any dealership selling their tractors should add to the bottom line. I guess instead of just graduating high school, I should have gone onto college so I would better understand the nonsense.

Nah if you understood it better It would just make it seem even more sad! Because then you would know all the BS that goes on behind closed doors. :(

#14 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 08:58 PM

Not a big JD fan either, but this still saddens me. It is such a shame that they closed down a dealer of 84 years for a reason that is likely bogus.

#15 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 09:21 PM

I know a dealership that has moved in and bought dealership after dealership specializing in different equipment at easch dealer ,

In different counties all over the state and other states also. I've always wondered if this wasn't a corporate owned move to rid the small guys .

larryd

Edited by larryd, January 11, 2013 - 09:23 PM.

• JDBrian said thank you