Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 01:51 PM

Well, kids came along, then a divorce then I spent the last 5yrs raising 2 kids alone as I got full custody in the divorce and no support from the ex.  Now, I said that to say this.....as a result of all that, i became unable to pay on my student loans any further and just sent in a lil at a time as I could.  I called today to get a total so that I can start paying on them again because my situation has grown better over the last 2yrs.  I believed my balance was down to around 9k which isn't bad considering where it started......well I almost dropped the phone when the guy told me I only owed $1080.73!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That just made my day!!!! My dark cloud has lifted and will never hover over my fat A$$ again!!!!!!

free.jpg ....this is how I feel right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• MH81, KennyP, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 02:09 PM

Man, that's great!  I'm really happy for you.  Congratulations.

• Farmlife said thank you

#3 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 02:40 PM

Yup Just wait until you get the 1098 in the mail for the difference.... happened to a friend of mine just this past tax season. It made his income so high he ended up paying over 3k in taxes. Let's hope they forgave the interest and that is all that was left of the principal.

#4 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 02:42 PM

Yea the interest is what I had been paying down for so long...it was killing me.  I did discuss that with the guy and I'm good to go.  That's horrible that it happens to people.

#5 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 02:46 PM

At least you asked about it! Many just ignore it hoping it goes away. It doesn't , and hurts everyone else.

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 02:54 PM

I'm sure you are on cloud 9!  I know I would be.  Good news.

#7 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 11, 2013 - 03:44 PM

Well, kids came along, then a divorce then I spent the last 5yrs raising 2 kids alone as I got full custody in the divorce and no support from the ex.  Now, I said that to say this.....as a result of all that, i became unable to pay on my student loans any further and just sent in a lil at a time as I could.  I called today to get a total so that I can start paying on them again because my situation has grown better over the last 2yrs.  I believed my balance was down to around 9k which isn't bad considering where it started......well I almost dropped the phone when the guy told me I only owed $1080.73!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That just made my day!!!! My dark cloud has lifted and will never hover over my fat A$$ again!!!!!!

attachicon.giffree.jpg....this is how I feel right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, what happened to the other $7919.27?

#8 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 03:48 PM

well I had been making payments on it for some time and never really paid attention to it to the degree that I should have.  I also sent my taxes to it last year which was just over 4k so the little bits here and there kept dwindling it.  I just hadn't paid that much attention like I said.  I knew it was high or was at one point anyway and just sent money when I could......

#9 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 11, 2013 - 03:49 PM

well I had been making payments on it for some time and never really paid attention to it to the degree that I should have.  I also sent my taxes to it last year which was just over 4k so the little bits here and there kept dwindling it.  I just hadn't paid that much attention like I said.  I knew it was high or was at one point anyway and just sent money when I could......

Definitely worth rejoicing. Good for you. :thumbs:

#10 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 04:13 PM

:dancingbanana:   Gotsta be a great feeling!  I paid $350 on a small loan at the bank today & thought that felt good.

#11 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 04:46 PM

Kudos to you for taking care of it.   Yeah, I imagine it IS a wonderful feeling !   :thumbs:

#12 A.C.T. ONLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 05:21 PM

Bank.png

That must be a great feeling!

Edited by anderson classic tractors, January 11, 2013 - 05:23 PM.

#13 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 05:26 PM

Congrats, you can see light at the end of the tunnel. And thank you for continuing to pay... so many anymore default instead of continuing to try. :thumbs:

#14 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 05:52 PM

attachicon.giffree.jpg....this is how I feel right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The biggest blessing I see when I read your post is that YOU got custody of your children. In my divorce I lost the house I just finished remodeling. I thought at least my kids got to live in it, until she took out a large home equity loan against it and decided not to pay it or the taxes. She lost the house, then proceeded to move my children in with any scumbag that could put up with her for a while. It got so bad, she was arrested for bad checks, hit and run, assault and endangering the welfare of a child (she committed the assault in front of my son). I fought for custody for literally years. I had to take out loans, use credit cards, take on a lot of side jobs and borrow from family to pay for legal fees. All this while I was paying $160 a week child support, even though they stayed with me the majority of the time. I finally got custody when my daughter was 15 and my son 13, that was 9 years ago. Once I got custody my ex disappeared from my kids lives, no birthday, Christmas cards, NOTHING. Trying to get support from her was like trying to catch a ghost. The last of my loans for legal fees will be paid off in two years, still the best money I ever spent.

Congrats on being almost caught up, I know you must of had some tough times.

Edited by broken2, January 11, 2013 - 06:26 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 2 others have said thanks

#15 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 06:49 PM

Congrats. I see more tractor money in your future.