• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 javahjoeo OFFLINE  

javahjoeo
  • Member No: 24912
  • 8 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 10:51 AM

I own a 1980, 1618, Power King Tractor, and had an issue, as it would backfire  and then wouldn't start.  Others said valve seat, and that is a problem with these, Kohler, K-361 OHV 18hp engines. However, as it turned out, it needed  a new  head gasket. Removed and replaced the head and gasket, and all is well! Also cleaned up the valves, and valve seats. Runs great now, even better than it ever has. I did use this tractor for my large garden, but have a 1979 Kubota 4x4 B-7100 16HP Diesel, that I use now. Now the Power King can rest, and I'm doing some restoration on it. I do love this PK and want it to look nice for the Antique Tractor Shows this summer 2013. I attend some Tractor shows, in and around central Indiana. Looking to hear from interested party's about these powerful little giant tractors. I have owned mine for some years now, and bought it with very low hours. It has about 550 hours on it now. These didn't come with hour meters, but believe this hour meter was installed early on, when this tractor was new. I know the history of this tractor from new. javahjoeo, MIO, P K Junky, aka Don zip 46902, 1/11/2013

#2 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 11:13 AM

:welcometogttalk:  Welcome Javahjoeo. Glad that you decided to join us! Don't have any PK's but love to look at them, very interesting machines. How about a few pictures? :camera:

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 11:19 AM

Welcome to GTTalk. Those PKs are nice tractors and very rare up here.  I think those Kohler K's are recommended to be decarboned at 500 hr intervals so your head gasket replacement and valve cleanup is pretty much on schedule. If it's not done you can end up with other problems related to too much carbon. It builds up near the exhaust valve and can actually start to interfere with the piston at the top of it's travel. I've seen this in a 14hp K321.

#4 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 11:26 AM

Hi,

I'm located in East Central Indiana and have a few Economy Power Kings.

Welcome and I hope to see and meet you this summer!

Chuck

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 11:34 AM

Welcome to GTTalk ! I have a 1612 Jim Dandy and a 2418 PK myself . Please post some pictures of all your tractors , love to see them , Al

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 11:35 AM

Welcome to the insanity!

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,652 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 05:03 PM

Guess anyone can join here!?   Hi Guy!   You'll like it here, check out other parts of site too. Has Great manuals to see for any make.

#8 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 06:24 PM

Welcome to the site! Thanks for joining! I have watched, and enjoyed your videos on youtube! HERE is a link, for others to watch them.

#9 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,719 Thanks
  • 4,278 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 11:23 PM

Guess anyone can join here!?   Hi Guy!   You'll like it here,

We caught him stumbling in the back door and kind of shoved him over here. Welcome aboard, Don

#10 javahjoeo OFFLINE  

javahjoeo
  • 8 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 08:03 PM

Ole G L Grumpy, and I go back aways.  He painted his PK,  MM colors, and tried to get in the MM National Show. They wouldn't let him in. He came to a show, where we PK'ers were, and not only did we let him in, I let him park his HY-Bred PK-MM under my shade canopy! Yep! Old G L has been to my place a few times, to partake of food and drink. (coffee) Your turn G L! He! He! He!

#11 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 08:49 PM

:welcometogttalk: Welcome Don! Glad you decided to join! We have a great group of people on here and there always willing to help out when needed.So make yourself at home and check out all the great things this site has to offer.

glgrumpy is a great guy in my book! I have learned that the grumpy part is just an act lol. He sent me a hard to find part for my GT and to this day I am still blown away by his kindness as he not only gave it to me he paid the shipping!

#12 javahjoeo OFFLINE  

javahjoeo
  • 8 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 09:17 PM

Please be careful when patting G L Grumpy on the back. He always wears a hat. We don't want him to need to buy a larger one to fit his ...........? G L and I are friends.....................right G L?  HE has a very nice family, and we see each other most every summer. You never know what he will show up with. G L has some very nice MM tractors. Last year, he explained a MM tractor, he had at a show. I learned a lot about his tractors I didn't know. In my area, we didn't see many MM tractors. WE farmed with Fords, and I have owned: a  930 Case Comfort King, Cab Tractor. A 1964 John Deere 2 cyl 70, row crop. A 420 Ford, Industrial, with loader. An 8-N Ford.  I have down-sized, to garden tractors, cause I move to a 1/2 acre, from the 8 acres. I now own: a  Power King, 18hp, and Kubota B-7100 16hp diesel 4x4, with loader. To see my, You Tube video's, go to, you tube, and type in javahjoeo.   Later, javahjoeo, MIO, P K Junky, aka  Don

#13 sep OFFLINE  

sep
  • Member No: 25080
  • 60 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 09:53 PM

Ole G L Grumpy, and I go back aways.  He painted his PK,  MM colors, and tried to get in the MM National Show. They wouldn't let him in. He came to a show, where we PK'ers were, and not only did we let him in, I let him park his HY-Bred PK-MM under my shade canopy! Yep! Old G L has been to my place a few times, to partake of food and drink. (coffee) Your turn G L! He! He! He!

Don,

You always make me laugh!! And Ryan is right, your PK videos are always fun to watch on You Tube!

Guys,

Let me tell you, Don is one of the nicest PK guys I have yet to meet in person! He goes out of his way to help and always has a kind word.

Welcome aboard my friend from Kokomo!!

Steve P.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: garden tractor