157 replies to this topic

#121 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 12:23 PM

A thick piece of glass or granite for a perfectly flat surface to check parts for straight edges or flatness. i just picked up a piece of scrap granite from a counter top company. The sink cutouts are perfect for this.

Geno

• lyall, HDWildBill, Moosetales and 1 other said thanks

#122 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 11:48 AM

Well Watchdog it isn't exactly the weekend anymore but I'm finally getting around to posting the updated GTTalk Tool Box. Enjoy.

Attached File  GTTalk Tool Kit (#3).pdf   476.75KB   29 downloads

As always, keep the suggestions coming as well as your feedback for ways we can make this more user friendly and more accurate.

#123 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 22, 2013 - 11:54 AM

And a partridge in a pear tree. :thumbs:

• Moosetales said thank you

#124 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 01:04 AM

99 open end wrenches on the wall,

99 open end wrenches,

If one of them wrenchs gets lost in the lawn,

98 open end wrenches on the wall...  Everybody sing!

• Moosetales and backwoods have said thanks

#125 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 10:12 AM

how bout a computer in the shop to look up manuals with or get on gtt while working to look up an answer to your question , i have a 20hp an under repair maual for most motors that does help most of the time.

#126 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 09:23 PM

I'm about to learn something tonight. What's a standard and metric henway? Thanks for sharing.

A hen-ways (weighs) about 5 pounds.

#127 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 09:25 PM

How about alphabetizing the lists......Easy to do in EXCEL

#128 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 09:26 PM

How about alphabetizing the lists......Easy to do in EXCEL

Good idea. I'm on it.

#129 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 09:51 PM

KC9KAS......This what you were talking about? Great idea.

Attached File  GTTalk Tool Kit (#4).pdf   237.69KB   32 downloads

#130 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 07:49 PM

Oops, got here late and found you missed some.

A press.  Hydraulic or arbor.  Great for installing small bearings, installing u-joints, straightening things you bent, bending things you straightened, and crushing beer cans.  With the proper accessories you can even cut keyways on shafts. 

A good vise. The bigger the better.

#131 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 08:11 PM

Oops, got here late and found you missed some.

A press.  Hydraulic or arbor.  Great for installing small bearings, installing u-joints, straightening things you bent, bending things you straightened, and crushing beer cans.  With the proper accessories you can even cut keyways on shafts. 

A good vise. The bigger the better.

Both are on the list......Vise is under "Bench Vice" (Mainestays cagtegory) and a press is under "Hydraulic Press" (Specialty Tools category).

BUT....now that you mention it, I misspelled "Vise", I need to add "arbor" and your feedback about the press will go nicely under the comments column. Since "Vice" means, "a practice or a behavior or habit considered immoral, depraved, or degrading in the associated society" a BENCH VICE doesn't sound like it belongs in a GT forum.  :bigrofl: 

Thanks for chiming in.....an update is coming right up.

#132 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 08:50 PM

KC9KAS......This what you were talking about? Great idea.

attachicon.gifGTTalk Tool Kit (#4).pdf

Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking!

"You 'da man"!

#133 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 12:18 AM

An arbor pre$$ for "casual repar folks"?  How about regressing to an aforementioned "hammer" and a couple proper sized "followers" like the right size socket or brass blocks (careful whacking sockets with hardened steel hammers, use a dead blow) to drive stuff.  I never had an arbor press in my home shop in my life and still managed to get OPE pressing needs done.  Do lots of pressing?  By all means get a press, but you can do perfectly well with a "Redneck Pressing System".

#134 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 05:40 AM

An arbor pre$$ for "casual repar folks"?  How about regressing to an aforementioned "hammer" and a couple proper sized "followers" like the right size socket or brass blocks (careful whacking sockets with hardened steel hammers, use a dead blow) to drive stuff.  I never had an arbor press in my home shop in my life and still managed to get OPE pressing needs done.  Do lots of pressing?  By all means get a press, but you can do perfectly well with a "Redneck Pressing System".

HydroHarold, Thanks for weighing in. You are spot on in your assessment of the needs of a "home shop". This list has taken on a life of it's own. It's become lots of things other than the "starters guide to working on GTs". From a selfish standpoint I'm excited that the list has grown to include everything from the basics to the most advanced tools used around the shop.

I'm still learning with just about every post. For instance, I hope to learn what OPE means.....haven't run into that acronym yet around here but I'm sure once I learn it I'll start seeing it more places.

Just to catch everyone up on the many uses of this list:

1. Great guide for the newbie just starting out (i.e. the "NOVICE" column) and wondering what they'll need for basic repairs or to educate themselves about what other guys use and are talking about when they refer to their tools.
  2. For the GT hobbyist wanting to tackle bigger and "badder" tasks around the GT shop but not knowing exactly what's recommended tool-wise for the job at hand.
  3. A wonderful "tool" for the advanced GT enthusiast who is accustomed to working on a budget and comes into some money but doesn't know all the names of the fancy tools that other guys use that would replace their "Redneck (insert name of home made tool)".
  4. A quick and easy way to take inventory in your shop; print the list off and use the far left column to keep track of what you Need, Want or Have.
  5. And maybe most importantly, this list is the perfect way to casually give your wife (or other generous others) HINTS for Christmas, birthday or other special days gifts are given............which is REASON ENOUGH to print the list and mark W, N or H beside each tool so there's less guessing.

Thanks for weighing in HydroHarold and look for your feedback in the next version of "the list".

• KennyP said thank you

#135 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 06:22 AM

On a list that includes air tools, plasma cutters, and welders? Yup.  Otherwise the beginners list would be: Some sockets, wrenches, pliers, and screwdrivers. Or we could shorten it up considerably by saying, "Access to my BIL's garage."