157 replies to this topic

#106 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 06:13 AM

I'm about to learn something tonight. What's a standard and metric henway? Thanks for sharing.

About 5 lbs for the standard, and 2.5 kg for the metric. :deadhorse:  :beerchug:  :bigrofl:

• Alc and Moosetales have said thanks

#107 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 06:42 AM

Great list you members came up with ! I really couldn't add any "tools" to thant list but in my shop I have colored zip ties , good for keeping oily hoses , electrical wires sorted out when taking things apart if doing a complex job , one color on each mating half , if it's not too oily and isn't going to be cleaned I'll use white electrical tape with a "sharpie" warped around onto it's self to make a little tag .Al
  • sacsr and Moosetales have said thanks

#108 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 07:32 AM

About 5 lbs for the standard, and 2.5 kg for the metric. :deadhorse:  :beerchug:  :bigrofl:

Ha! Ha! Ha! I actually know a thing or two about chickens, just picked up 9 more to add to our 5 we already had. My wife got me into chickens and I love having them around. Good one.

#109 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 15, 2013 - 07:59 AM

Hey rat88,

What do you use the "flapper disc" for when you are "rasslin" your tires? I've included it in the list but need an explanation to include in the list. Thanks.

I used them for cleaning rusty tire beads and for a "finishing touch" after welding. They are stacked coarse sand paper, so they are a little more flexible than standard grinding wheels. They will produce a shiny surface without gouging like grinding wheels.

Any answer on that metric henway yet. I think that would go in the same catagory with a spool of 3/4 inch pipe thread.

• Alc and Moosetales have said thanks

#110 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,776 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 10:46 AM

70b198304bbb4a179d77273793915cc9_2.jpg?r

• Moosetales and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#111 Moosetales ONLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 02:32 PM

70b198304bbb4a179d77273793915cc9_2.jpg?r

Eggcellent! That is the perfect clip art for the topic at hand.

#112 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 11:05 PM

I was out in the garage tonight, cleaning up, and I ran across a few tools from the list that I had not checked off. I totally forgot I had them until I had reviewed the list again and was sorting through stuff. Funny how things drop off your radar when you're not thinking about them. Oh, and as for duplicates, I bought a few tools I thought I'd lost only to find them when I return from the store.

Edited by Moosetales, January 16, 2013 - 02:31 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#113 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 04:21 PM

Reality is if it can be classified a "TOOL", you need to buy it.    You just never know........... :D 

• Moosetales said thank you

#114 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 06:35 PM

One tool I have that is seldom used but handy when needed is a tip drill usually sold at welding supply stores. Good for cleaning very small orifices/jets. I always use the shank end if the bit so it won't remove any metal.

Mike

• Moosetales and boyscout862 have said thanks

#115 Watchdog ONLINE  

Watchdog
  • Member No: 17146
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 09:41 PM

Great List.  I'm going to print it and high light what I don't have and give it to my wife for ideas for those special gift occasions.  

As for input I would add a set of electrical test leads.  I have a ten foot set that are multicoloured with alligator clips on each end and wind up in a self enclosed reel.  I use them to bypass where I think there is problem when I am fault finding an electrical system.  

To go along with the die grinder, 3M roloc disks.  They come in various grits of abrasive, as well as scrotchbrite material.  I prefer the two inch diameter, but they come in larger diameters.  They are great for cleaning up rust and weld splatter in tight areas.

A no cost tool I use is a broken throttle linkage spring from a Honda engine.  It is small diameter spring steel, flexible and works great for cleaning the ports, jets and emulsion tubes in carburetors.  Torch tip cleaners have been mentioned and have their uses, but since this list was/is intended for the "nub" I think it is prudent to say that they are not intended to clean carburetor jets.  Since they are essentially files, they can increase the diameter of the jet orifice and may adversely affect how your engine runs.

Good job on the list everyone.

Thanks

Jeff

• HDWildBill, Moosetales and boyscout862 have said thanks

#116 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 09:43 PM

finger nail clippers or a good sharp side cutter

for all those broken finger nails we all get

• Toolpartzman and Moosetales have said thanks

#117 Toolpartzman ONLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 05:27 AM

I have a Dewalt 18V 3/8" impact. It uses the same battery as my drill and most of the time it's the first tool I grab.

Double DITTO     Mine's an older 14.4 Volt DeWalt--Absolutely the best and most versitile  tool I own. To date , I've run well over 40,000-yep 40 Thousand fasteners in with it-from mechanical bolts etc.  to fence screws, lags, you name it. When new I gave over $200 for it and never regretted the price. Paints gone, grip is partly worn off, but it NEVER so much as hiccupped !!!!

• Moosetales said thank you

#118 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 06:07 AM

finger nail clippers or a good sharp side cutter

for all those broken finger nails we all get

And a Box of Band-aids for the little mishaps that always seem to befall fingers in the shop..

• lyall, HDWildBill, Moosetales and 1 other said thanks

#119 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 09:20 AM

I've just always assumed that the gods of machinery are only appeased by blood sacrifice.

And a Box of Band-aids for the little mishaps that always seem to befall fingers in the shop..

• Moosetales, WNYTractorTinkerer and Watchdog have said thanks

#120 Moosetales ONLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 11:38 AM

Great List. I'm going to print it and high light what I don't have and give it to my wife for ideas for those special gift occasions.

As for input I would add a set of electrical test leads. I have a ten foot set that are multicoloured with alligator clips on each end and wind up in a self enclosed reel. I use them to bypass where I think there is problem when I am fault finding an electrical system.

To go along with the die grinder, 3M roloc disks. They come in various grits of abrasive, as well as scrotchbrite material. I prefer the two inch diameter, but they come in larger diameters. They are great for cleaning up rust and weld splatter in tight areas.

A no cost tool I use is a broken throttle linkage spring from a Honda engine. It is small diameter spring steel, flexible and works great for cleaning the ports, jets and emulsion tubes in carburetors. Torch tip cleaners have been mentioned and have their uses, but since this list was/is intended for the "nub" I think it is prudent to say that they are not intended to clean carburetor jets. Since they are essentially files, they can increase the diameter of the jet orifice and may adversely affect how your engine runs.

Good job on the list everyone.

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff, I'll be posting an updated list this weekend. Also, if you look at the far left column you'll notice it was designed for a person to indicate whether they have (H), Need (N) or want (W) a particular tool. Just tell your wife to look for the big Ns or Ws and you'll be all set! It's been fun learning about all the tools guys use on their GTs.

BTW, it would be fun to hear just how many of the tools from the list you've used during the fabrication of your snow plow. It looks great.

Edited by Moosetales, January 19, 2013 - 11:53 AM.

• Watchdog said thank you