157 replies to this topic

#61 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 06:08 PM

I've been following the thread remotely today and now am at a B&B with my wife but I have a few minutes while she naps to weigh in on the topic again.

Here are a few more for the list: soldering iron, anvil (for aiding in the persuasion of metal), large bench vice, grease gun and an inexpensive tachometer.

I'll add the new suggestions to the list once back from my night away with my lovely wife. Keep the ideas flowing.

• HDWildBill and chris m have said thanks

#62 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 07:46 PM

A couple of those triangulated welding magnets.

A slab of brass to clamp under a hole that needs to be filled by puddle welding.

A flyswatter

A pair of twezzers

A rol of shrink wrap tape

• Moosetales said thank you

#63 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 09:10 PM

When you get done filling my new custom GTtalk tool chest just PM me and I'll give you my the address so you can ship it to me :bigrofl:

#64 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 09:41 PM

The Idea of compiling a list for a Newbie is a good idea but this is such a comprehensive list that if I were a newbie and I saw a list like that I would probably say for get it.  

#65 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 03:26 AM

A slab of brass to clamp under a hole that needs to be filled by puddle welding.

Them magnets are a time saver for sure. Its nice to have a extra set of hands.

At the shop I took some used 3/4" copper pipe and hammered it flat to use as a backing for filling holes. Its a lot cheaper than buying one of those carbon blocks they sell.

#66 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 06:52 AM

Excellent idea for a thread and a great read through.  Lots of good ideas from the collective mind of you GTTalkers (as usual :thumbs:, go figure :smilewink: ).  

I think everyone has the list pretty well covered but heres a few more (I dont think these were mentioned above)

A mirror on a stick comes in handy sometimes 

Tapered steel punches to aid in aligning bolt holes

To go along with your jack for raising the tractor , wheel blocks or chocks for keeping the tractor in place

Dedicated oil drain pan 

Funnels of various sizes

I have a couple big, old, non screw driving screwdrivers that I find work real well for an extended listening device.  I think the steel shank and plastic handle transfers the sound a little better than the wood dowel does.

Not really a "Tool" and mentioned before by Troy, but another use for cardboard:  keep some large pieces on hand too, they work great for throwing on the floor or ground before you lay down to look for that leak, I can slide around some pretty heavy stuff on the cement floor of the garage when sitting on a large piece of cardboard too.

Great idea for a thread, keep those ideas coming!!

Edited by Michiganmobileman, January 13, 2013 - 06:53 AM.

• Moosetales and boyscout862 have said thanks

#67 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 09:51 AM

A flyswatter

A pair of twezzers

A rol of shrink wrap tape

Hey "beep beep" (i.e. IamSherwood) glad to see you have you're new horn.

For us nubs would you be will to explain the use for the slab of brass a bit. I think I get it but would love to see your explanation.

Also, would love it if you all would add your favorite use for some of the suggestions; twezzers (what do you most frequently use them for), shrink wrap tape (how does that come in handy), etc. Thanks.

• IamSherwood said thank you

#68 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 09:52 AM

When you get done filling my new custom GTtalk tool chest just PM me and I'll give you my the address so you can ship it to me :bigrofl:

SHIP IT? Forget that. I'm going to need to rent a semi and personally deliver it to you. BTW, I should have everything pulled together for you by weeks end.......don't I wish. :thumbs:

• chris m said thank you

#69 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 09:54 AM

The Idea of compiling a list for a Newbie is a good idea but this is such a comprehensive list that if I were a newbie and I saw a list like that I would probably say for get it.  

Maybe I need to break the list down into "Nub", "Experienced" and "Expert" type categories when we've compiled the mountain of tools we all use. Good suggestion. Wouldn't want any new prospects getting scared off from this GREAT hobby.

#70 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 09:55 AM

Them magnets are a time saver for sure. Its nice to have a extra set of hands.

At the shop I took some used 3/4" copper pipe and hammered it flat to use as a backing for filling holes. Its a lot cheaper than buying one of those carbon blocks they sell.

Okay, so I think I'm getting it. You guys use the copper and brass to stop the weld from "falling through" since the weld won't bond with the brass or copper?

#71 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 09:59 AM

Excellent idea for a thread and a great read through.  Lots of good ideas from the collective mind of you GTTalkers (as usual :thumbs:, go figure :smilewink: ).  

I think everyone has the list pretty well covered but heres a few more (I dont think these were mentioned above)

A mirror on a stick comes in handy sometimes 

Tapered steel punches to aid in aligning bolt holes

To go along with your jack for raising the tractor , wheel blocks or chocks for keeping the tractor in place

Dedicated oil drain pan 

Funnels of various sizes

I have a couple big, old, non screw driving screwdrivers that I find work real well for an extended listening device.  I think the steel shank and plastic handle transfers the sound a little better than the wood dowel does.

Not really a "Tool" and mentioned before by Troy, but another use for cardboard:  keep some large pieces on hand too, they work great for throwing on the floor or ground before you lay down to look for that leak, I can slide around some pretty heavy stuff on the cement floor of the garage when sitting on a large piece of cardboard too.

Great idea for a thread, keep those ideas coming!!

Speaking of the cardboard for the floor, in addition to using it to stay a bit cleaner, up here in Maine it's essential for use during the winter months so the floor doesn't SUCK the living heat out of your feet or body.

Has anyone tried out the low profile crawlers to see if they are low enough to use on a GT?

I'm a visual person so when you typed "I can slide around some pretty heavy stuff on the cement floor of the garage when sitting on a large piece of cardboard too" I pictured you sitting on a large piece of cardboard, in the middle of your garage, pushing a GT motor all around the garage floor all the while you are sitting on the piece of cardboard.

:bigrofl:

Edited by Moosetales, January 13, 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#72 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 13, 2013 - 10:01 AM

Okay, so I think I'm getting it. You guys use the copper and brass to stop the weld from "falling through" since the weld won't bond with the brass or copper?

BINGO!

#73 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 10:06 AM

Yea , ,I use a piece for copper lug but any copper or I guess brass would work , here's a pic welding up a hole  .Al

Attached Thumbnails

• 0122111241.jpg

#74 IamSherwood ONLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 10:11 AM

Hey "beep beep" (i.e. IamSherwood) glad to see you have you're new horn.

For us nubs would you be will to explain the use for the slab of brass a bit. I think I get it but would love to see your explanation.

Also, would love it if you all would add your favorite use for some of the suggestions; twezzers (what do you most frequently use them for), shrink wrap tape (how does that come in handy), etc. Thanks.

The brass thing, I see you figured out.

Tweezers, are for picking up the dead flies that the swatter killed. :smilewink:  or stuff that might land in your paint job.

Here is a thread about shrink wrap tape. Just yesterday, I used it again, to tape a couple solid rubber tires

off a rototiller. Just layed down 3 pcs, forming a triangle in the middle, and then trimmed to expose the rim.

Soooooo much easier than masking tape.

#75 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 13, 2013 - 10:13 AM

Aluminum works too!