Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

"playing" with paint and a free motor...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 taycotrains OFFLINE  

taycotrains

• Member No: 978
  • 12 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted September 09, 2010 - 10:13 PM

My boss Tuesday morning handed me the keys to his Suburban and told me to take the milk crate out of the back and see if I wanted what was in it...if not just throw it in the metal dumpster.

The milk crate contained a perfectly good 8 HP B&S motor that was on belt driven wood chipper that the PO (his neighbor) some how ruined the hammer mill on.

At first I thought what could I do with a B&S motor ???.... all my Wheel Horses have Kohlers,Lausons and Clintons.

I then remembered I own a Panzer now and a lot of them had Briggs on them....so after some measuring I took the 6 HP Kohler off (that motor belongs on my 633 anyway) gave the Briggs a quick paint job and threw it on the rails while it was still wet !

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

BT

#2 farmgineer OFFLINE  

farmgineer

• Member No: 1031
  • 0 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted September 09, 2010 - 10:33 PM

That engine looks like a piece all on it's own, let alone great looking in the Panzer! Could you (or anyone else for that matter) give me the quick run down of how you paint a motor to turn out so good. I mean, I have done my share of spray bomb painting but never attempted something like an engine. Isn't there hours and hours of scraping and degreasing and disassembly? Or is it as simple as a wipe down, wire brush here and there and tape up what you don't want painted and go at it? I realize the more time you spend on it, the better the result. This looks like a great result to me... so how much work/time did you put into it?

#3 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted September 09, 2010 - 10:34 PM

Very nice and the price was great also.

#4 taycotrains OFFLINE  

taycotrains

• Member No: 978
  • 12 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted September 09, 2010 - 11:12 PM

That engine looks like a piece all on it's own, let alone great looking in the Panzer! Could you (or anyone else for that matter) give me the quick run down of how you paint a motor to turn out so good. I mean, I have done my share of spray bomb painting but never attempted something like an engine. Isn't there hours and hours of scraping and degreasing and disassembly? Or is it as simple as a wipe down, wire brush here and there and tape up what you don't want painted and go at it? I realize the more time you spend on it, the better the result. This looks like a great result to me... so how much work/time did you put into it?

My procedure with this or ANY ! garden tractor is this...make it look somewhat "presentable"...."ITS NOT A DUESENBERG !!!...its a garden tractor"...many will disagree with my way of thinking...but I am not gonna get excited if it aint perfect.

To answer your questions....first off that motor had very little oil residue on it....I found out today that it had minimal hours on it. My prep was to put it in a the middle of the driveway on a milk crate and spray it down with a full can of starting fluid...after it drys I blow off the dried residue with compressed air...then spray the whole thing down with glass cleaner and then blow that all off....quick prime job with Wal Mart machine gray primer ($1.12 a can) and then when the primer is still tacky dust a few coats of Rustoleum "Harbor Blue" ($3.97 a can) this job took about 3/4 of a can...The whole shenagins took about 90 minutes.

BT

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 10, 2010 - 04:40 AM

Hey that looks great.

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted September 10, 2010 - 05:30 AM

Nice find!

Great lookng motor!

#7 farmgineer OFFLINE  

farmgineer

• Member No: 1031
  • 0 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted September 10, 2010 - 06:30 AM

My procedure with this or ANY ! garden tractor is this...make it look somewhat "presentable"...."ITS NOT A DUESENBERG !!!...its a garden tractor"...many will disagree with my way of thinking...but I am not gonna get excited if it aint perfect.

To answer your questions....first off that motor had very little oil residue on it....I found out today that it had minimal hours on it. My prep was to put it in a the middle of the driveway on a milk crate and spray it down with a full can of starting fluid...after it drys I blow off the dried residue with compressed air...then spray the whole thing down with glass cleaner and then blow that all off....quick prime job with Wal Mart machine gray primer ($1.12 a can) and then when the primer is still tacky dust a few coats of Rustoleum "Harbor Blue" ($3.97 a can) this job took about 3/4 of a can...The whole shenagins took about 90 minutes.

BT

That's my kind of effort, I just want it to look clean and fresh. I like it. Would the starting fluid have cut the grease if it was pretty heavy? I am so going to try this....

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 10, 2010 - 07:42 AM

taycotrains that's a great looking job! In my favorite price range too! I have found that brake parts cleaner is a good solvent for paint prep on parts with heavy, caked on, grease, but you have to watch it around rubber and plastic. I've seen plastic parts just disappear in brake cleaner. You should only use it outside too. Never tried starting fluid though. I imagine it's a lot safer on the plastics. Seems to have worked out for your project. Congrats!

#9 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted September 15, 2010 - 07:47 AM

Nice find on the motor and nice job on painting and getting it installed! Free is always good and sure helps out in this hobby. Your Panzer looks like a good and straight tractor and should make a very nice project for you.