21 replies to this topic

#1 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 07:53 PM

Does anyone have any hit and miss engines.If you do let see some pictures and tell us how you came about them.

#2 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 10, 2013 - 09:17 PM

I used to have several.I have one left that I will keep. A 3 horse sandwich. I acquired them by trading and salvage.

• tractorman604 said thank you

#3 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 10:01 PM

Years ago had quite a few. The prices for these engines and the cost of attending the shows got out of hand and took the fun out of it so someone else owns them now. I used to buy the John Deere E types for $50.00. The last one I sold went to Texas and the guy gave me over $800.00 for it. Still like the sound of them. Hit and miss is music for the soul.  :thumbs:

Edited by Cvans, January 11, 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#4 JD DANNELS ONLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 10:23 PM

None for me. Like Chris I love to hear them run, but collectors have driven the price out of site and picked the area clean.

#5 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,647 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 10:40 PM

My dad, brother and I have a 1904 Gade 2hp. In the early 80s a older gentleman ask my dad if he wanted to get an old engine running for him. My dad said sure and they went to go take a look at it. It had been sitting in a shed for a good 50+ years and of course there was a hole in the roof right above the engine. The guy went and got the tractor with the loader to pick it out of the ground (sunk in a good 10").

Once it was at our place my dad spent obout 2 years soaking and tapping to get it all loose. Finally it was loose and the next thing was to get it running. He got it running after a little head scratching to figure how everything worked. I can still picture him getting it running, Was just a little guy back then.

So my dad gave ole Floyd a call to tell him he had got the engine running. he didn't answer the phone, his nephew did (they farmed together). He said Floyd had gotten sick a few weeks back and never came out of it and wasn't with us no more. Then my dad told him he had to talk to him about something, told him he would call him back in a few weeks after things settled down.

He called the nephew back and told him Floyd had asked him to that old engine running for him. He then told my dad just to keep the engine for the time he had in it. My dad told him thanks and put the engine in the shed at our place. Kinda sad the way we got it but was a nice reminder of ole Floyd.

Later that year we took it to the local power show. My dad was surprized when a guy came up to him and wanted to buy it, my dad told him it wasn't for sale. He was a very persistant guy and asked afew more times. After they had a lengthly conversation come to find out this guy was trying to compile the history of the Gade Bros. being the company went bankrupt and everything was distroyed. He told my dad at the time his engine was the 2nd one he had seen running of that model.

After typing this I think I remember his name was Tom. He was from Iowa Falls, Iowa the site of Gade Bros. manufacturing.

We brought it back to the show last year (been afew years since we had it out) I guess life got in the way. Its always fun to show it. We get all kinds of complements on it. We are never going to get rid of it, been looking for another one so that my brother and I each can have one for ourselves oncve dad isn't around anymore. In the last 5 years or so I've only seen one for sale and needed alot of work, wasn't cheap either ($3000 and mising the carb). I guess I'll just keep looking for one.

Just spent a while looking for pics of it and can't find any I'll have to get some of it.

• tractorman604 and Cvans have said thanks

#6 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 10:43 PM

I don't have any actual "Hit & Miss" engines like you're refurring to, but sometimes my garden tractors sound like them when I start them up for the first come Spring! :smilewink:

#7 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 06:27 AM

That brings back memories... Old timer I knew when was a kid had a Sears Roebuck cord wood saw, mounted on its origanal horse drawn steel carriage, used to go to shows with him and we actually used it for cutting wood... Loved to listen to that pop and snort all day.... Now I'm wondering where that ever wound up,,,, have to investigate that

#8 mjodrey ONLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 06:53 AM

Sorry,I don't have any at the moment ,either.

#9 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,647 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 01:09 AM

I finally had some time to get a couple of pics of the engine. Its stored over at my brothers place, so I couldn't just run outside.

Anyways, here it is.  The one thing we need to get done is build the proper size fuel tank. Its suppose to be 6" round by 18" long. The old square tank works, but will be changed out one day.

IMG_05561.JPG IMG_05571.JPG IMG_05581.JPG IMG_05591.JPG

The wood box on the end is the original "battery" box for the engine. It still has the original coil in it, was designed to run off of old telegraph batteries, but we just use a 12v LT battery.

• tractorman604 and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#10 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:04 AM

That's great, :thumbs:  thanks for posting those pictures

• Nato77 said thank you

#11 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 10:19 AM

That sure brings back memories. I used to take my son the show when we had those engines. He was just a little guy at the time but he still remembers that. Good times. Thanks for the photos.

• tractorman604 and Nato77 have said thanks

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,745 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 10:23 AM

The show I went to last fall was put on by a local hit and miss club. There were tons of them there.

#13 tractorman604 ONLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 12:32 PM

I would love to own one of those, :ah_shoot:  but holy hank there expensive now

#14 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,647 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 01:12 PM

I would love to own one of those, :ah_shoot:  but holy hank there expensive now

They're not all expensive, just depends on what you want. I've seen some of the more common ones go for as cheap as $150 running. The JDs and IHs are plentiful around here, a couple of years ago I bid a JD 2 1/2hp up to $800, it came with a cart, mounted pump jack and was sitting on a trailer.

#15 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 01:19 PM

Wow , I might have to get on the hunt a little harder, or take a road trip to Minnesota.